PPP: Obama leads Romney by 2, all others by double-digits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:32:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  PPP: Obama leads Romney by 2, all others by double-digits
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PPP: Obama leads Romney by 2, all others by double-digits  (Read 1211 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »

Barack Obama................................................ 47%
Mitt Romney.................................................... 45%

Barack Obama................................................ 48%
Herman Cain................................................... 38%

Barack Obama................................................ 50%
Tim Pawlenty .................................................. 39%

Barack Obama................................................ 52%
Newt Gingrich ................................................. 39%

Barack Obama................................................ 52%
Sarah Palin ..................................................... 38%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Mitt Romney?

Favorable........................................................ 37%
Unfavorable .................................................... 47%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Tim Pawlenty?

Favorable........................................................ 25%
Unfavorable .................................................... 42%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Herman Cain?

Favorable........................................................ 20%
Unfavorable .................................................... 38%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Sarah Palin?

Favorable........................................................ 29%
Unfavorable .................................................... 59%

Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Newt Gingrich?

Favorable........................................................ 16%
Unfavorable .................................................... 68%

PPP surveyed 520 American voters from June 9th to 12th. The margin of error for the survey is +/-4.3%. This poll was not paid for or authorized by any campaign or political organization. PPP surveys are conducted through automated telephone interviews.

PPP is a Democratic polling company, but polling expert Nate Silver of the New York Times
found that its surveys in 2010 actually exhibited a slight bias toward Republican candidates.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_National_615.pdf
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »

LOL, Grinch.

An upcoming WSJ/NBC poll will show similar favorable ratings for him.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:49:55 PM »

LOL @ Cain being the GOP's second strongest candidate these days.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »

Pawlenty is getting more unfavorable by the poll.

This election is going to be Romney vs. Cain.  Rick Perry is a Pawlenty-level looks better on paper than reality loser, too, so you can count him out.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »

This election is going to be Romney vs. Cain.  Rick Perry is a Pawlenty-level looks better on paper than reality loser, too, so you can count him out.

Do you mean in the general or as a candidate in the primaries? If the latter, I respectfully disagree. He's a hardline conservative and tea party friendly alternative to Romney who is simultaneously generally acceptable to the party establishment. He also isn't in the "unelectable baring a miracle" category like Bachmann, Cain, etc., and his chances in November probably aren't too different from Romney's or Pawlenty's (i.e. count on the hardcore anti-Obama base to get to 45% and hope the economy is faltering enough to get to 270).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 01:19:57 PM »

Do you mean in the general or as a candidate in the primaries? If the latter, I respectfully disagree. He's a hardline conservative and tea party friendly alternative to Romney who is simultaneously generally acceptable to the party establishment. He also isn't in the "unelectable baring a miracle" category like Bachmann, Cain, etc., and his chances in November probably aren't too different from Romney's or Pawlenty's (i.e. count on the hardcore anti-Obama base to get to 45% and hope the economy is faltering enough to get to 270).

By those standards, Rick Santorum would be a fine candidate, too.  But, like I said, Perry is not as good as his resume would suggest.  He's never had to debate a candidate on the level of Romney and he's never had to run a grassroots campaign that winning Iowa or New Hampshire would require.  He would start off strong, but fade IMO.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »

By those standards, Rick Santorum would be a fine candidate, too.  But, like I said, Perry is not as good as his resume would suggest.  He's never had to debate a candidate on the level of Romney and he's never had to run a grassroots campaign that winning Iowa or New Hampshire would require.  He would start off strong, but fade IMO.

At the risk of nitpicking, I'll agree and disagree. Santorum is definitely in the category of "unelectable baring a miracle". He is so extreme and wears it on his sleeve so unabashedly that unemployment pushing 10% probably wouldn't result in a GOP win. Perry flirted with entering that realm with his succession talk (which will come back to haunt him no matter how much he and Fox spin it as mere "anti-big Washington" rhetoric), but his penchant and record for statements like that are dwarfed by Santorum (and Bachmann, and Palin, etc).

That said, I agree Perry has deep flaws and will have a much tougher race than he's used to.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 04:42:01 PM »

if 68% of voters have an unfavorable opinion of Gingrich, but 39% of voters would vote for him vs. Obama, then at least 5% have an unfavorable opinion of him, but would vote for him anyway.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »

if 68% of voters have an unfavorable opinion of Gingrich, but 39% of voters would vote for him vs. Obama, then at least 5% have an unfavorable opinion of him, but would vote for him anyway.

That makes sense. I imagine that there's plenty of hardcore conservatives out there now who can't stand most, if not all, of the candidates in the field, but would still vote for any Republican over Obama.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 02:42:58 AM »

That makes sense. I imagine that there's plenty of hardcore conservatives out there now who can't stand most, if not all, of the candidates in the field, but would still vote for any Republican over Obama.

That's less strange than this stat from the 2008 MS Democratic primary:

Here's my favorite stat from the exit polls.  If my algebra is correct:

14% of Clinton voters would be dissatisfied if Clinton wins the nomination.

2% of Obama voters would be dissatisfied if Obama wins the nomination.

A lot of this could be mischief making crossover GOP voters.  Alternatively, it could just be Democrats who wish they had other choices.  (The racist and sexist vote?)

Being *dissatisfied* if the person you're voting for actually wins the election you're voting in?......must just mean that you're dissatisfied with life.  Tongue
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 11:12:41 AM »

Pawlenty is getting more pathetic by the day.  Wasn't he supposed to be the candidate who was electable, but at the same time not Romney?  Cain is doing better than him in both primary and general election polling.

What a joke.   

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »

Pawlenty has about as much chance of becoming President as Donald Trump does.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies