How did Bruins and Canucks fans vote in previous elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:36:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How did Bruins and Canucks fans vote in previous elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did Bruins and Canucks fans vote in previous elections?  (Read 3174 times)
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:05:29 PM »

I'm not knowledgeable to know Vancouver politics but I've read western side votes liberal/conservative, where the eastern side votes left-wing.  For the Bruins, I would say they are between nationalist/traditionalist Republicans and Reagan Democrats. I select nationalist because when the B's play against any Canadian team the fans start chanting USA! USA! USA!. Traditionalist for the fact most fans of the black&gold hate European style and love hard working tough guy hocket. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:11:23 PM »

In the West, and BC specifically, it's a two-way race between Tories and NDPers. So conservatives and social democrats.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »

My prediction on majority of fans voted in both the D's and R's primary.

2008: D-John Edwards R-Mitt Romney

2004: D-John Kerry R-George W Bush by default

2000: D-Al Gore R-John McCain

1996: D-Bill Clinton R- Pat Buchanan

1992: D-Jerry Brown  R-Pat Buchanan

1988: D-Michael Dukakis R-Jack Kemp

1984: D-Walter Mondale R-Ronald Reagan

1980: D-Ted Kennedy R-Ronald Reagan

1976: D-Jimmy Carter R-Ronald Reagan

1972: D-Hubert Humphrey R-Richard Nixon

1968: D-RFK R-Richard Nixon

1964: D-Lyndon B Johnson R-Nelson Rockefeller

1960: D-John F Kennedy R-Richard Nixon

1956: D-Estes Kefauver R-Dwight D Eisenhower

1952: D- Richard Russell, Jr R-Robert Taft

1948: D-Harry Truman R-Robert Taft

1944: D-Franklin Delo Roosevelt R-Robert Taft

1940: D-Franklin Delo Roosevelt R-Robert Taft

1936: D-Henry S. Breckinridge R- Alf Landon

1932:  D-Al Smith R-Calvin Coolidge

1928: D-Al Smith R-Herbert Hoover

1924: D-Hiram Johnson R-Calvin Coolidge

UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:58:52 PM »

In the West, and BC specifically, it's a two-way race between Tories and NDPers. So conservatives and social democrats.

Thanks for the post. I'm stunned the liberals don't have advantage in this area and the NDPers do. If this was America, NDP wouldn't have chance in states that weren't the NorthEast and West Coast. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »

Liberals have been DOA in the West since 1958.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »

Liberals have been DOA in the West since 1958.

Ok.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 11:19:06 AM »

Yeah. Out west, you are either very far to the left (NDP) or very far to the right (Tory, though BC Tories are a bit different from Eastern Tories to some degree). Not much middle ground.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2011, 12:37:36 PM by UpcomingYouthvoter »

Yeah. Out west, you are either very far to the left (NDP) or very far to the right (Tory, though BC Tories are a bit different from Eastern Tories to some degree). Not much middle ground.

The Oregon of Canadian politics more like it amiright?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 05:11:16 PM »

What a bizarre question...

Well, Canucks support is mostly relegated to B.C. and perhaps Washington and Oregon, but the vast majority in B.C., with slightly more Conservative support than average.

*Cons: 50
*NDP: 30
*Lib: 12
*Grn: 5

Whereas Bruins support is concentrated in New England (save the NYC) area plus parts of Atlantic Canada (mostly Nova Scotia). Bruins fans in Atlantic Canada are probably more older, as I think younger hockey  fans probably like other teams. Maybe a Cons 40, Lib 35, NDP 20 split. And as for New England, I read that hockey fans are slightly Republican (which is odd, but anyways), but still voted overwhelmingly for Obama. Same goes for U.S. Canucks fans, what few there are.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2011, 06:02:10 PM by UpcomingYouthvoter »

Well, Canucks support is mostly relegated to B.C. and perhaps Washington and Oregon, but the vast majority in B.C., with slightly more Conservative support than average.

Whereas Bruins support is concentrated in New England (save the NYC) area plus parts of Atlantic Canada (mostly Nova Scotia). Bruins fans in Atlantic Canada are probably more older, as I think younger hockey  fans probably like other teams. Maybe a Cons 40, Lib 35, NDP 20 split. And as for New England, I read that hockey fans are slightly Republican (which is odd, but anyways), but still voted overwhelmingly for Obama. Same goes for U.S. Canucks fans, what few there are.

Why is it odd that most hockey fans are Republican? I could see most Bruins fans voting for Scott Brown in the 2010 senate election. The team  hard hitting style of play lead to me think of that reason. At best, most B's fans would stuck me as union/New Deal dems instead of the latte liberals that are the base for the Boston Bruins fanbase in New England.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »

Whereas Bruins support is concentrated in New England (save the NYC) area plus parts of Atlantic Canada (mostly Nova Scotia). Bruins fans in Atlantic Canada are probably more older, as I think younger hockey  fans probably like other teams. Maybe a Cons 40, Lib 35, NDP 20 split. And as for New England, I read that hockey fans are slightly Republican (which is odd, but anyways), but still voted overwhelmingly for Obama. Same goes for U.S. Canucks fans, what few there are.

Why is it odd that most hockey fans are Republican? I could see most Bruins fans voting for Scott Brown in the 2010 senate election. The team  hard hitting style of play lead to me think of that reason. At best, most B's fans would stuck me as union/New Deal dems instead of the latte liberals that are the base for the Boston Bruins fanbase in New England.

Why would Republicans like a sport full of a bunch of foreigners?
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »

Why would Republicans like a sport full of a bunch of foreigners?

Because not all Republicans are foreigner haters. Plus the sport is violent and has the macho appeal for the Republicans so they can tell how much of real men they are and how pussy the Democrats are.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »

Well, hockey is more popular in blue states (MN, MI, NY, MA, PA, etc). I can't name a red state where hockey is really popular... except for Alaska.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »

Most hockey fans are white males though, the most conservative ethnic/gender group.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »

Most hockey fans are white males though, the most conservative ethnic/gender group.

And there tons of white males that aren't conservative. Obama won the white male vote in my state.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »

Both groups would be conservative.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »

Wow what a ridiculous conversation.

As to the original poster, I don't really think sport allegiance plays a role in political support. Everyone I know was really into the Olympics regardless of political views. The same can be said for any sport. Look at Maryland for instance. Black, White, Liberal, Conservative: Everyone's a Ravens fan in Baltimore.

The only sports I would say have an political leaning are NASCAR, Golf, and Tennis. The reason is that they are very cultural by nature.

Also, on the hockey point: I was in the Senate gallery when Brown and Kerry were applauding the Bruins for winning the Cup. Kerry is a huge hockey fan who still plays. Brown could barely describe the sport.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 05:56:51 PM »

Wow what a ridiculous conversation.

As to the original poster, I don't really think sport allegiance plays a role in political support. Everyone I know was really into the Olympics regardless of political views. The same can be said for any sport. Look at Maryland for instance. Black, White, Liberal, Conservative: Everyone's a Ravens fan in Baltimore.

The only sports I would say have an political leaning are NASCAR, Golf, and Tennis. The reason is that they are very cultural by nature.

Also, on the hockey point: I was in the Senate gallery when Brown and Kerry were applauding the Bruins for winning the Cup. Kerry is a huge hockey fan who still plays. Brown could barely describe the sport.

Go to any NFL forum and you'll find it's not the case. Sports do have political lookout and it's conservative.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »

Yes because the average sports fan uses internet forums. Give me a break. The average fan watches their team on Sunday (or any other day, depending on the sport) and watches Sports-center every now and then. They generally don't peruse the internet posting on forums, because they don't have the time or interest. The folks that do are generally on the internet to begin with, actively viewing other sites and forums.

Using your logic, most voters are conservative because the Politico comments are overwhelming right-wing. The same could be said for most objective coverage sites. I'll admit that in the South, football fans are more likely to be conservative, because most people in the South are conservative. But it has nothing to do with football. If you could present a logic based argument as to why sports fans are more conservative, then I would buy it. But as someone who played offensive line for five years, I can say that nothing about smashing skulls with other dudes makes me more conservative or liberal.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »

Bad logic but I would think sports are conservative, giving the "support the troops" sh**t that happens in every sporting event.  The forums are large spots for die hard fans and look over at some of them that have political talk. 49ers and Patriots forums are strongly right-wing and were talking about teams in the most left-wing cities in America.

Yes because the average sports fan uses internet forums. Give me a break. The average fan watches their team on Sunday (or any other day, depending on the sport) and watches Sports-center every now and then. They generally don't peruse the internet posting on forums, because they don't have the time or interest. The folks that do are generally on the internet to begin with, actively viewing other sites and forums.

Using your logic, most voters are conservative because the Politico comments are overwhelming right-wing. The same could be said for most objective coverage sites. I'll admit that in the South, football fans are more likely to be conservative, because most people in the South are conservative. But it has nothing to do with football. If you could present a logic based argument as to why sports fans are more conservative, then I would buy it. But as someone who played offensive line for five years, I can say that nothing about smashing skulls with other dudes makes me more conservative or liberal.

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »

Again, still a logical fallacy. Supporting the troops is bipartisan, not liberal or conservative. Also it's not bullsh**t to honor our fallen who fought for our freedom. I work for a very liberal US Senator, and she is one of the most outspoken advocates for veterans programs (the best way to support the troops, after all).

Once again, the internet forums are not indicative of fan support. Knowing many Ravens and Pats fans myself (growing up in Baltimore, going to college in Massachusetts) I can say that only two "die-hard" fans regularly traverse internet forums. The forum community is generally young people, teenagers and the like, who haven't formed coherent political views. Maybe that's an overstatement, but every forum I've been too, including this one, is primarily made up of youngsters (including myself). Young people generally cling to the political fringes, as they simply aren't exposed to enough facts and objective material. People moderate as they get older, that's a fact (just look at the Baby Boom generation).

The greater point is that sports does not drive someones political ideology. This is a clear example of post hoc ergo propter hoc. In other words, yes many sports fans are conservative. But they are not conservative due to sports. Rather, they are conservative due to other factors, if they are really conservative after all. I would venture to guess that the average white male middle class Ohio Buckeyes fan is conservative because of issues like taxes, foreign policy, and "big government". Not because tackling is manly.

P.S.: If you want to look smart, don't reference internet forums. They don't represent the population at large.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies