Do you think that Rick Perry will run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:01:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Do you think that Rick Perry will run?  (Read 2061 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »

And does anyone know when he's going to announce his decision?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »

He has a "big announcement" coming soon (maybe next week), according to my Grandma.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »

Yes, and probably by the end of July at latest, if not sooner.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:14:04 PM »

i am leaning to yes. He will certainly shake up the race. He has evangelical appeal, tea party appeal, but also mainstream cred with job creation. He could be the whole package...at least until the general
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 03:24:35 PM »

He may run, but I think his welcome will wear out quickly when his record is held up to the fire. Using 6$ billion dollars in stimulus funds to balance the state budget will come back to bite him, as will the mandatory vaccination for young girls he wanted, there is plenty of general mismanagement for his opponents to pick on. Should he make it to the general (which is a long shot), the Obama camp would have plenty to throw at him including the secession statements and Perry's statements regarding non-Christians. All around, he is just a bad option.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »

Hmmm.  Rick Perry?  what stereotype does he really add to the campaign that we don't already have?

We could try to split the tall, dark, handsome governor with magnificent hair demographic between two candidates. That helps all the nerdy guys like Ron Paul.  Let him run. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »

He'd be dumb not to. Unless he makes a big gaffe he'd have at least as good a shot as Romney would at winning the nomination.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »

He'll be the new Gingrich.

Or you could see him as 2012's Fred Thompson.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 05:08:52 PM »

He might but he won't be the nominee.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »

He's definitely laying the groundwork, though that doesn't definitively mean that he's going to run:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7615831.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »

He might but he won't be the nominee.

Seconded. IMO if Perry was really serious about this, he'd have retired and let KBH have the Mansion for 4 years- and still get the longest-serving-guv record.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 11:02:47 PM »

Hmmm.  Rick Perry?  what stereotype does he really add to the campaign that we don't already have?

We could try to split the tall, dark, handsome governor with magnificent hair demographic between two candidates. That helps all the nerdy guys like Ron Paul.  Let him run. 

For some reason, some people think he's a closet homosexual, do we have any of those?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 11:05:01 PM »

Rick Perry closeted? What trollish bullsh**t.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 12:02:30 AM »

Rick Perry is egotistical enough and thinks himself qualified. He probably thinks that Governor of Texas is a good position to use as a base of power, and that because he has some obvious similarities to Dubya, the last 'successful' Republican President, that he can solve many of the problems that Republicans seem to have in an effort to defeat a President that GOP leadership and big financial backers want desperately to defeat.   
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »

For some reason, some people think he's a closet homosexual, do we have any of those?

You may be thinking of a different governor.  Ann Richards.  Everybody thought she was a raging bulldyke. 

I met her once.  She was brassy and sassy and bossy, but I didn't get any impression one way or the other about her sexual orientation.  King of the Hill presented her as a heterosexual of poor taste, when she had an assignation with Bill Dauterive. 

Never heard such a thing about Rick Perry though.  He strikes me as very healthy and very hetero.
Ben Romney
Hillary2012
Germany

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »

Rick Perry is gay imo

I hope he won`t run
he could win the nomination if he does but would lose the general election for sure
the MSM will tell you he his GWB 2
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »

The rumor about Perry being gay is a decade old and nothing came of it.  I know it still circulates through the TX Democratic Party establishment, but I think there's no there there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »

The rumor about Perry being gay is a decade old and nothing came of it.  I know it still circulates through the TX Democratic Party establishment, but I think there's no there there.

It's so sad that certain political parties can't cleanse themselves of homophobia.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »

I'm telling you guys, Rick Perry doesn't pass the smell test.  There's no reason to think he'd be a better candidate than Tim Pawlenty.

They are both weak Governors who took advantage of divide factions of voters and weak opponents in their state to win their races.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »

The sad part is that if he was to run, he'd be among one of the stronger candidates in a very GOP field.  I think that he will run, and I think he has a decent shot at winning.  He could perhaps win Iowa (very envangelical) and follow it up with a victory in South Carolina (southerner).  This would set the stage for him to win the Florida primary...and with those three wins he is a very formidable candidate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »

Sounding more like a candidate:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/18/perry-wows-at-republican-conference-amid-2012-buzz/

GeorgiaSenator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »

He may run, but I think his welcome will wear out quickly when his record is held up to the fire. Using 6$ billion dollars in stimulus funds to balance the state budget will come back to bite him, as will the mandatory vaccination for young girls he wanted, there is plenty of general mismanagement for his opponents to pick on. Should he make it to the general (which is a long shot), the Obama camp would have plenty to throw at him including the secession statements and Perry's statements regarding non-Christians. All around, he is just a bad option.

What did he say about non Christians?
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »

What did he say about non Christians?

I couldn't find the article online, because it's a pretty old story but the source is from the Dallas Morning News. Google "Rick Perry Non-Christians Going to Hell" and take your pick:

Quote from: Restricted

It's really not the worst of the stupid crap that Perry has said or endorsed, but it's still not going to play well with a lot of people.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »

No.  Just posturing to raise his profile.  That said, I don't know what else would be "next" for him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies