2011 Canadian election maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61091 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »

Since the poll by poll results should be out any day, I have started a new topic to post the maps.  For all the poll maps, municipality by municipaltiy, and county by county, post here.  Should be interesting to see the results especially in Quebec to see just where the changes were as that was the province with the most dramatic changes of all.
trebor204
TREBOR204

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »

We will still need the updated polling maps.

The 2008 maps won't necessary work with the 2011 results.

When a riding sees an increase in voters, a new poll is created from an existing poll. (i.e. 54 splits into 54 and 54-1).

If a poll becomes too large on Election Day, an ‘alpha’ spilt occurs.  (i.e. 54A, 54B, 54C.  Voters who’s last ends in A-H vote in 54A, I-Q in 54B, and R-Z in 54C.).

If a riding sees a lot of splits, then the riding is most likely going to be renumbered in the following election. The polling maps become obsolete.

If you want to compare a riding.

Compare the Poll Numbers from the 2008 and 2011.

Find the Highest Regular Poll Number (polling number up to 399) from the 2008 election to 2011
election.

If they are the same then you should be able to use the map for that riding.

If not, the riding has re-numbered its polls. The occurs in ridings that has seen a sharp increase in voters (i.e. the 905 region outside Toronto)

Polls are number the following ways:
1 – 399      Regular Poll
400 Series   Mostly apartment blocks, and other single polling locations.
500 Series   Mobile Polls, Personal Care Homes, Hospitals, etc.
600 Series    Advance Polls

I hope this helps
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:52:53 PM »

When a riding sees an increase in voters, a new poll is created from an existing poll. (i.e. 54 splits into 54 and 54-1).

If a poll becomes too large on Election Day, an ‘alpha’ spilt occurs.  (i.e. 54A, 54B, 54C.  Voters who’s last ends in A-H vote in 54A, I-Q in 54B, and R-Z in 54C.).

If a riding sees a lot of splits, then the riding is most likely going to be renumbered in the following election. The polling maps become obsolete.

Find the Highest Regular Poll Number (polling number up to 399) from the 2008 election to 2011
election.

If not, the riding has re-numbered its polls. The occurs in ridings that has seen a sharp increase in voters (i.e. the 905 region outside Toronto)

I hope this helps

I was more thinking in terms of towns and geographical areas for rural ridings while neighbourhoods for urban ones.  Even if the poll numbers don't match, you can still visually get an idea of where each party has its support.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:34:30 AM »

election.

I hope this helps

I was more thinking in terms of towns and geographical areas for rural ridings while neighbourhoods for urban ones.  Even if the poll numbers don't match, you can still visually get an idea of where each party has its support.

Well, usually, the poll by poll results names the town in which the poll is.
So, in those cases, a town map is possible.
Which is a bit useless, rural areas aren't experiencing growth, in general, so, no new precincts.
And for neighbourhoods, no. Sometimes, while they renumber, they move the numbers all around the riding, if I remember well.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:37:44 AM »

election.

I hope this helps

Which is a bit useless, rural areas aren't experiencing growth, in general, so, no new precincts.
And for neighbourhoods, no. Sometimes, while they renumber, they move the numbers all around the riding, if I remember well.
  Even if numbers change dramatically, you can still compare maps visually.  Also hopefully we can do maps for entire cities like the GVRD, Toronto, Island of Montreal, Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Edmonton.  It would be interesting to see where each party's strength is in each city.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:39:06 AM »

election.

I hope this helps

Even if numbers change dramatically, you can still compare maps visually.  Also hopefully we can do maps for entire cities like the GVRD, Toronto, Island of Montreal, Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Edmonton.  It would be interesting to see where each party's strength is in each city.

We can compare maps, but how are we supposed to do the new map if numbers are changed very much?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »

I know a few of you said I could use your maps on my site, if you want me to please let me know.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »

I think there are maps with the update poll by poll.  I realize you cannot compare poll by poll with last time, but you can still produce a visual image and compare those.  We already have those from 2008 in another thread, so this will be for 2011.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »

I think there are maps with the update poll by poll.  I realize you cannot compare poll by poll with last time, but you can still produce a visual image and compare those.  We already have those from 2008 in another thread, so this will be for 2011.

No, the maps are not provided by Elections Canada.

They are provided by Geogratis.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »

Geogratis is fine, whichever one works.  I will work on the municipalities and counties first and then I will do the poll by poll later, probably in the fall and winter when I have hours to spend indoors and when it was freezing cold outside, not when its nice out.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »

I haven't seen them on Elections Canada yet.  Anybody have any poll by poll results for any ridings.  I was hoping on getting a few maps up in the next week before I go off on my three week vacation to Europe.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »

The polling shape files have been released!

http://www.geogratis.gc.ca/download/electoral/2011/

However, the poll by poll results havn't been released. (The last 2 elections they were released under 2 months)

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 02:13:21 PM »

Im gonna see if I can get these to work this time. Otherwise, I'm going to have to rely on others for my blog.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 05:40:33 AM »

To see the map of the 2008 election: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/2545_04_07_09_6_12_18.png

Map instructions:
Chibougamau is the square thing at the bottom-right of the Northern Quebec map. Chapais is just to the west. Waswinipi is in the Bloc precinct (brown thing in the middle) and Lebel-sur-Quévillon too (it is the dot near the southern border). Matagami is to the west of that, in a 40% NDP precinct. Kuujjuaraapik and Whapmagoostui is the black dot in the south-east of the lonely Conservative precinct in Northern Quebec.
Vallée-de-l'Or goes below Northern Quebec. Senneterre is in the middle of the blue area, Val-d'or is the really big black area and Malartic is near the western border of the riding.

The grey precinct in Malartic is a Bloc-NDP tie.

So what to say.

Bloc won 2.5 precincts, while Liberals won 4 and Greens 5.

So, explanations.
Begin with the Green vote. Their candidate was a Inuit. He had excellent results in Inuit reservations and nothing elsewhere. His home reservation should be easy to guess.

Conservative vote. Well, the candidate was the very popular mayor of Senneterre. He won... Senneterre area, with more 60% at some places. The reservation win in the north is strange, but Inuit reservations always had strange vote patterns.

Liberal vote. Four inuit villages. There is a good news for them, their vote grew to around 15-20% in southern Val-d'Or. Bad news, they lost their lock on reservations and they polled around 2% in most French Northern Quebec and had 0 votes in a few precincts.

Bloc vote. Collapse. They tied NDP in a small Malartic precincts, won a precinct in economically depressed Lebel-sur-Quévillon and won with 4 votes on 6 casted in Desmaraisville, a clinically dead town (the dark BQ precinct around Waswanipi and Lebel-sur-Quévillon).

NDP vote. Well, they won no precinct last time. So, the candidate was a Cree, Cree voted for him massively. He got over 90% in his native reservation of Waswanipi. Chibougamau seems to love him, he had over 50% in all precincts. Last time, the city was a Bloc stronghold. They swept Val-d'Or, too.

I don't see a clear correation between Bloc support in 2008 and NDP support in 2011. Some areas swinged ''more'' than other ones.
Shilly
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 06:25:09 AM »

Reposted from the other thread

Etobicoke-Lakeshore

Bramalea-Gore-Malton
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 07:12:30 AM »

So the results are out? Cheesy

I'm going to be busy...

Shilly, can I use your maps for my blog? I'll give you credit for them.
Shilly
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 07:43:52 AM »

I'm going to be busy...

absolutely.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 07:54:41 AM »

I'm going to be busy...

absolutely.

Thanks x1000000. I'll get cracking on a post soon. (still working on my Saskatchewan election prediction)
Shilly
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »

I'm going to be busy...

absolutely.

Thanks x1000000. I'll get cracking on a post soon. (still working on my Saskatchewan election prediction)
For the record, I've got a Toronto composite map in the the works, so keep a eye out Wink
DL
Canada

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 09:37:27 AM »

I'd be very curious to see a map of Westmount-Ville Marie
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »

Some goodies would be Westmount-Ville Marie, Mont Royal, Ottawa-Orleans, Ottawa-Vanier, Scarborough, the Don Valley ridings, coastal Toronto ridings, Newton—North Delta, Ahuntsic, Vancouver Centre, Lac-Saint-Louis, Winnipeg North, Labrador, Yukon and MIKR.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »

Hash, what's with the username? I know North Bay is a seedy little town, but I was wondering what is making you laugh at it. I'm going to be going there in August, as I do every summer.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »

Hash, what's with the username? I know North Bay is a seedy little town, but I was wondering what is making you laugh at it. I'm going to be going there in August, as I do every summer.

Inside joke related to somebody I know who's from North Bay.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »

I'm going to be busy...

absolutely.

For the record, I've got a Toronto composite map in the the works, so keep a eye out Wink

Sweet, that'll hit many birds with one stone Smiley

Inside joke related to somebody I know who's from North Bay.
Ok...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

Alright so, even Ottawa South had some minor poll division boundary changes, and I tried to incorporate most of them from the map that was posted by Dean Sherratt in the gallery, but I couldn't tell where the boundaries were for some of the new polls.

So, here is Ottawa South with some minor boundary errors:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies