2011 Canadian election maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:38:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61108 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »

HNNG Purple heart

My neighbourhood was 46 NDP - 28 CON - 23 LIB. Virtually all Liberal support went Conservative, what a shock. Seems to be the general theme in Timmins-James Bay, and probably a load of other Ontario ridings too.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »

Great job on the maps.  One quick question.  Did any party win every poll in any riding and which ones.  I know the Tories won every poll last time around in Durham and Carleton-Mississippi Mills, but it looks like not in those ridings this time around, but that they swept other ones.  This is for Ontario only.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2011, 11:36:45 PM »

oooh. Interesting that the Liberals won Deep River, and not Clouthier. Clouthier won only three polls. It also looks like Guergis didn't win any polls.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #228 on: August 03, 2011, 01:23:56 AM »

Great job on the maps.  One quick question.  Did any party win every poll in any riding and which ones.  I know the Tories won every poll last time around in Durham and Carleton-Mississippi Mills, but it looks like not in those ridings this time around, but that they swept other ones.  This is for Ontario only.

Sorry, it's not Ontario.

Crowfoot in Alberta. (Conservative got aleast 50% of the VALID vote in every poll)

All but 3 polls (1 Regular, and 2 Special Polls) had every poll at 60%
50 Polls were at least 90%
Sunnynook Poll  voted 96% Conservative (101 Votes)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2011, 03:20:28 AM »

Nice. Can't wait for the west... Cheesy
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2011, 05:20:20 AM »

Yukon 2011.

Sorry for the bad quality of Yukon map, the shape in the file of Geogratis was quite inclined. Putting it upside down cut quality. The round point in SE Yukon represented a very small precinct which wasn't visible from that wide view.

So, the riding is very divided. Some precincts were won barely won 30%.
So, short comment.

Liberal and Conservative support is quite visible on the map.
NDP was strong outside Whitehorse, but performed very bad inside the city.
Green vote is roughly "How far are you of Whitehorse?". The further, the weaker the Green vote is.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »

Still working on the maps, but a few interesting things I have found in some ridings.  In Richmond-Arthabaska, the Tories won Asbestos so I wonder if their controversial position of supporting exports of asbestos and not ratifying the Rotterdam Convention helped in this town, although I believe the Conservative candidate who is the brother of former MP Andre Bachand also came from this town.  In Saint-Maurice-Champlain, the NDP won Herouxville, despite the fact their immigration and multicultural policies are about as far away as you can get from the town's position.  This was the infamous town for its policies on immigrants despite having none.  Also had election day polls only been used and there had been no advanced polls, the NDP would have won Saskatoon-Rosetown-Biggar meaning PEI would be the only province they would have been shut out of.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2011, 01:31:44 PM »

In Saint-Maurice-Champlain, the NDP won Herouxville, despite the fact their immigration and multicultural policies are about as far away as you can get from the town's position.  This was the infamous town for its policies on immigrants despite having none.

Well, if I remember well, the mayor and the municipal councillor who launched that said than they did it to launch a public debate on immigration and multiculturalism and than they didn't really believed in what they done.

By the way, I think than both retired last municipal elections.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »

In Saint-Maurice-Champlain, the NDP won Herouxville, despite the fact their immigration and multicultural policies are about as far away as you can get from the town's position.  This was the infamous town for its policies on immigrants despite having none.

Well, if I remember well, the mayor and the municipal councillor who launched that said than they did it to launch a public debate on immigration and multiculturalism and than they didn't really believed in what they done.

By the way, I think than both retired last municipal elections.

Also, the xenophobia in Quebec is a left wing xenophobia, much like the type found in the Netherlands. You know, "Muslims are anti-women, anti-gay, etc, therefore they should eb banned" kind of thing.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »

In some ways Quebec strikes me as more European than North American in many of their attitudes.  It is true on immigration and multiculturalism they are certainly more conservative than English Canada in terms of more Quebecers favour assimilation than elsewhere and they are more likely to favour lower levels of immigration.  There are also other issues where they are more to the right depending on how you look at it.  Quebecers are more likely to support free trade and tend to be more supportive of laxer foreign ownership rules (asides from culture) than English Canadians.  Mind you do the language and cultural differences, they are probably less worried about Americanization than English Canadians where the differences are much smaller.  On health care, Quebecers don't seem to object to a parallel private system as strongly as English Canadians.  After all, there are many private clinics where one can pay for faster service in Quebec, some in BC and even fewer in Alberta, while practically none in Ontario.  In most European countries you have a parallel private health system.  Although this is less of right vs. left, they tend to have far laxer alcohol laws.  In Quebec you can buy beer and wine in grocery stores unlike most provinces in English Canada.  Some may say this is more left leaning, but I should note the NDP in most English Canadian provinces tend to be the strongest opponents of allowing alcohol sales in grocery stores, gas stations, and convenience stores, although I suspect much of that has to do with the fact they don't want to undermine the unions at the government run liquor stores.  The point is the differences between Quebec and English Canada are not totaly a simple left vs. right, although on some issues such as the environment, attitude towards public sector unions, military intervention overseas, abortion and same sex marriage, Quebecers are definitely more left leaning.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #235 on: August 07, 2011, 10:17:18 PM »

the NDP is against relaxing liquour rules? This is quite disappointing, but also the first I heard of it.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »

the NDP is against relaxing liquour rules? This is quite disappointing, but also the first I heard of it.
  Unfortunately yes.  At least you can go across the river and pick up a six pack or a bottle of wine at any depanneur or even Costco has go prices and selection.  Unfortunately here in Toronto we are stuck with the Beer Store and LCBO. 
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »

Scarborough went Liberal while the NDP won East York, although both were three way races.  So far of the municipalities I have done, Guelph, Kingston, Casselman, and North Bay are the only Liberal wins.  Of the former municipalities of Ottawa, the NDP won Ottawa and Vanier, Liberals Rockcliffe Park, while the Tories won every other one, although they only got over 50% (actually 60% in all these too) in Goulbourn, Osgoode, Rideau, and West Carleton i.e. the largely rural municipalities.  In the former municipality of Hamilton, the NDP won Hamilton, while the Tories got a plurality in Stoney Creek and Dundas and a majority in Ancaster, Glanbrook, and Flamborough.  Actually so far, the Tories have gotten above 40% in almost every municipality outside of Toronto, with only Casselman, Kingston (Frontenac Islands if you don't round up), and Hamilton.  I haven't yet gotten to Windsor which I am sure the NDP won by a fairly sizeable margin. 
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #238 on: August 07, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »

Okay here is New Brunswick by county.  I made three maps here.  The first is strictly by winner.  Restigouche County and Westmoreland County were three way races which the Tories won but only in the low 30s

This is by percentage.  The Liberals were in the 30s in Kent County, NDP in 60s in Gloucester County, Tories in 30s in Restigouche County and Westmoreland County, 40s in York County, Madawaska County and Saint John County (all above 47% I should add), 68% in Carleton County, while in the 50s in all other counties

Here is New Brunswick US style with the red counties being Tories over 50% and the blue being Tories under 50%

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2011, 11:23:51 PM »

Scarborough went Liberal while the NDP won East York, although both were three way races.  So far of the municipalities I have done, Guelph, Kingston, Casselman, and North Bay are the only Liberal wins.  Of the former municipalities of Ottawa, the NDP won Ottawa and Vanier, Liberals Rockcliffe Park, while the Tories won every other one, although they only got over 50% (actually 60% in all these too) in Goulbourn, Osgoode, Rideau, and West Carleton i.e. the largely rural municipalities.  In the former municipality of Hamilton, the NDP won Hamilton, while the Tories got a plurality in Stoney Creek and Dundas and a majority in Ancaster, Glanbrook, and Flamborough.  Actually so far, the Tories have gotten above 40% in almost every municipality outside of Toronto, with only Casselman, Kingston (Frontenac Islands if you don't round up), and Hamilton.  I haven't yet gotten to Windsor which I am sure the NDP won by a fairly sizeable margin. 

Deep River went Liberal too, I think.

Also very interesting that Ottawa went NDP. I think that's a first in history. We've only had one NDP mayor, and probably would have had a 2nd if it weren't for amalgamation.

I would love to see a ward breakdown.

I think I'll wait for you to do all the provinces before I make a national map... but I'd love to see results by municipality in NB (perhaps by parish as well).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2011, 11:29:56 PM »

Also very interesting that Ottawa went NDP. I think that's a first in history. We've only had one NDP mayor, and probably would have had a 2nd if it weren't for amalgamation.

I think I'll wait for you to do all the provinces before I make a national map... but I'd love to see results by municipality in NB (perhaps by parish as well).

I'm not mileslunn, but I can try to do that if you want.
A map (if that even possible? good question) or a list?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »

I'm not mileslunn, but I can try to do that if you want.
A map (if that even possible? good question) or a list?

If a list is provided, I would make a map.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2011, 12:45:34 AM »

The Liberals did win Deep River as well.  One of the few municipalities they won.  In fact the Tories got over 50% in the vast majority of municipalities despite averaging 44% province wide.  This time around they also did crack the 70% mark in a few, but not many, but none over 75% so far.  As for the NDP, I think they got over 60% in some in Northern Ontario, but none in Southern Ontario.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2011, 03:31:55 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2011, 03:43:43 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

Scarborough went Liberal while the NDP won East York, although both were three way races.  So far of the municipalities I have done, Guelph, Kingston, Casselman, and North Bay are the only Liberal wins.  Of the former municipalities of Ottawa, the NDP won Ottawa and Vanier, Liberals Rockcliffe Park, while the Tories won every other one, although they only got over 50% (actually 60% in all these too) in Goulbourn, Osgoode, Rideau, and West Carleton i.e. the largely rural municipalities.  In the former municipality of Hamilton, the NDP won Hamilton, while the Tories got a plurality in Stoney Creek and Dundas and a majority in Ancaster, Glanbrook, and Flamborough.  Actually so far, the Tories have gotten above 40% in almost every municipality outside of Toronto, with only Casselman, Kingston (Frontenac Islands if you don't round up), and Hamilton.  I haven't yet gotten to Windsor which I am sure the NDP won by a fairly sizeable margin.  

From the looks of it, parishes are very possible, municipalities could be a lot harder (precincts borders don't follow them at some places.)

Well, that is supposing than I understand well.
Parishes are outdated but sane divisions used to draw precincts.
Municipalities/LSD are the current divisions, but precincts sometimes don't follow them.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #244 on: August 08, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »

Parishes are still used by Stats Can and Elections Canada.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »

The NDP would have won Westmount-Ville Marie if you took only election day polls, which might explain why Marc Garneau conceded defeat on election night only to retract it later as usually the advanced polls are the last to come in.  Also it was Westmount that saved him as the NDP came in third in Westmount behind the Tories.  I should note on the Island of Montreal, the Liberals came in third in the old city of Montreal prior to amalgamation but second when you include the amalgamated cities.  The NDP off course won both Montreal pre and post amalgamation.  Also in Southern Ontario, the NDP won Thorold, Welland, and Port Colborne (although the Tories took the St. Catharines portion of Welland in addition to Wainfleet).  It seems in those three cities the NDP won most of the polls in the built up areas while the Tories in the rural sections.  Is it due to the heavy unionization why those three cities are more NDP than the rest of the Niagara region.  And how come St. Catharines goes Tory or Liberal in the past, but never NDP? 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »

The NDP would have won Westmount-Ville Marie if you took only election day polls, which might explain why Marc Garneau conceded defeat on election night only to retract it later as usually the advanced polls are the last to come in. 

I think that was rather obvious.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nice to see the NDP pick up Port Colborne, a city the Liberals won last time. I suppose that's the only NDP pick up in terms of municipalities in all of southern Ontario.
DL
Canada

« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »

I wonder if the NDP might have won over a few towns in Essex given how much their vote increased in that riding?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »

I wonder if the NDP might have won over a few towns in Essex given how much their vote increased in that riding?

Haven't got to Tecumseh and Windsor yet, but in terms of the ridings in Essex, no the Tories won every single municipality.  While in Kingsville they got over 50%, all the others were between 45-50%.  In fact the NDP and Tory support was fairly evenly distributed in Essex.  It is however likely the NDP won some of the "towns" but not any of the municipalities when you consider each municipality is a mixture of towns and countryside and the Tories tend to win pretty big in the countryside and towns under 500.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »

The Liberals won the municipality of Whistler in British Columbia but with only 27%.  It was a four way split, Lib 27%, NDP 26%, Con 26%, and GRN 17%.  I know in the US most ski resorts vote Democrat even if in solidly Republican states such as Jackson in Wyoming or Sun Valley in Idaho.  At the same time most residents are quite wealthy and liberal thus the dilemma which is why I think you got the four way split you did.  They like the NDP's progressive social policies, but don't like the idea of higher taxes for the rich, while they may like the Conservative tax cuts, but find many of their social policies quite regressive. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies