2011 Canadian election maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:24:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61358 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »

Ah, but why assume that everyone in a given place has a similar set of views and values? Especially in a place like that.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »

I will do a map later, but for Nova Scotia, the Liberals won all four Cape Breton Island counties, but asides from that, they only won Hants County, while the NDP only won Halifax County.  The Tories took all the remaining counties on Mainland Nova Scotia, although they only cracked the 50% mark in Pictou County and Cumberland County (albeit if you round off they also got over 50% in Yarmouth County).  Each party seems to have its turf, otherwise Liberals in Cape Breton Island, Tories in Rural Mainland Nova Scotia, and NDP in the Metro Halifax area.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »

Ah, but why assume that everyone in a given place has a similar set of views and values? Especially in a place like that.
  If you are referring to Whistler, I used to have a cabin there as a kid.  I am originally from British Columbia, so I do have some idea of the demographics there, mind you there are lot of weekend only residents as well as you have many seasonal residents who only live there part of the year rather than year round, thus the time of year the election is held might have some impact too.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »

In the Lower Mainland, the Liberals won two municipalities (University Endowment Lands and Bowen Island).  Bowen Island despite its rural nature is rather left leaning.  Sort of like Bainbridge Island is to Seattle in some ways.  The NDP won Vancouver, Burnaby, and New Westminster, while every other municipality went Conservative in the GVRD.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2011, 10:36:41 PM »

The Liberals won the municipality of Whistler in British Columbia but with only 27%.  It was a four way split, Lib 27%, NDP 26%, Con 26%, and GRN 17%.

Geezus. FTR, I lived there for 2 months during the Olympics. Beautiful town. I don't think I met many of the locals, but they must be quite left wing, not wanting a Tim Hortons there and all.  The town is full of Aussies and Kiwis, but they can't vote.

Anyways, as for Essex, it appears the NDP won the former towns of Essex, and Belle River.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »

The NDP did win Tecumseh, although not by a whole lot, so I suspect imcumbency probably had some impact in Essex County as the demographics of Tecumseh I don't think are all that much more favourable to the NDP than some of the other Essex municipalities.  Windsor off course went NDP in a landslide, in fact using the present municipalities, I believe it was the only municipality in Southern Ontario where they cracked the 50% mark.  The Liberals on the other hand using the current municipalities failed to crack the 40% mark in any if I am not mistaken, although I have to double check.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #256 on: August 09, 2011, 01:05:32 AM »

506, I demand you make more maps, on the grounds that I have no life, and thus, nothing else to look forward too Sad
adma
« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »

The NDP would have won Westmount-Ville Marie if you took only election day polls, which might explain why Marc Garneau conceded defeat on election night only to retract it later as usually the advanced polls are the last to come in.  Also it was Westmount that saved him as the NDP came in third in Westmount behind the Tories. 

When it comes to strictly e-day, how many seats "voted differently", besides Sask-RB and West-VM?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When it comes to St Kitts at large, it never had the collective reflected glory of the Swart/Kormos provincial NDP powerhouse machine, the way that Thorold and Welland and now Port Colborne has.  And the parts within Welland riding also happen to encompass some of St Kitts' toniest neighbourhoods, thus nullifying NDP reach except in a few spillover spots.  Otherwise, the most "NDP-natural" zone in St Catharines actually happens to be the south-of-the-QEW part of St Catharines riding, encompassing downtown as well as GM--but the riding at large is cancelled out by a historical lack of a strong, provincially/federally electable machine a la Welland; thus a lot of that vote's defaulted Liberal (notably Jim Bradley provincially) and elsewhere.  (North of the QEW, it's mostly postwar-middle-class-suburban tedium that tends to be fairly solidly Lib/Tory--or just plain Tory as of the last two fed elections--though there *could* be orange-umbrella grand-coalition possibility there.)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »

The NDP won Ahuntsic and ironically, the Liberals won Yukon if you took e-day polls only.  Asides from those four, not sure of any others, although I might have missed a few.  I only checked the really close ridings.
the506
Canada

« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »

506, I demand you make more maps, on the grounds that I have no life, and thus, nothing else to look forward too Sad

I've been having, well, a life lately.

More maps coming this weekend.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »

Here is Nova Scotia by county.  I only did the US style and the winner as asides from the two counties the Tories got over 50% in, the winner in every county got in the 40s and no party got over 60% in any county.

And here is the US style map with the two counties the Tories got over 50% in being shown in red.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »

Why would you show Tory-majority counties in red?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »

Why would you show Tory-majority counties in red?

Apparently because the GOP = red.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #263 on: August 12, 2011, 09:37:42 PM »

Parishes are still used by Stats Can and Elections Canada.

It depends of the county.
They use them for Madawaska County, but they use LDSs for Restigouche County.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #264 on: August 12, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »

I don't think so... proof?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #265 on: August 12, 2011, 11:40:30 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2011, 06:19:50 PM by Sibboleth »

I don't think so... proof?

Well, the precincts limits doesn't correspond at all to the parish limits.
Precincts: http://www.the506.com/elxnmaps/can2011/13005.html
Geographical maps: here (Geosearch) and http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/Restigouche_County_NB_-_Addington_Parish.PNG (Wikipedia parish map).

All was working in Madawaska, but, it is beyong strange in Restigouche
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2011, 12:05:11 AM »

Looks like stats can uses Parishes in Restigouche to me! I just clicked on a place there and it has a (P) beside it, meaning parish.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #267 on: August 13, 2011, 12:33:57 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2011, 12:36:07 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

Looks like stats can uses Parishes in Restigouche to me! I just clicked on a place there and it has a (P) beside it, meaning parish.

Yes, I know, but Elections Canada didn't. Well, I can skip unclear rural areas and focus on municipalities.

EDIT: Why worrying? I'm not perfect, I'll do what I can.
the506
Canada

« Reply #268 on: August 14, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »

Parishes and LSDs are the same thing 80% of the time.

EC (and ENB for that matter) seems to use them Whenever They Damn Well Feel Like It.
the506
Canada

« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2011, 03:39:03 PM »

The wait is over....Manitoba and Saskatchewan are now up.

http://www.the506.com/elxnmaps/can2011/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »

Praise the lord!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #271 on: August 15, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »

Churchill River is extremely polarized. Polls in the north at 90%+ for the NDP, while in the south were 90%+ for the Tories.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #272 on: August 15, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »

Churchill River is extremely polarized. Polls in the north at 90%+ for the NDP, while in the south were 90%+ for the Tories.
  Almost like the Deep South in the US in some ways.  There you have areas that go 90%+ Republican which are usually areas that are overwhelmingly white and areas that go 90%+ Democrat which are usually overwhelmingly African-American.  Looks like this one was somewhat racially polarized being Aboriginal heavily NDP and White heavily Conservative.  Is this more a coincidence or is there a strong racial divide in this part of Saskatchewan.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #273 on: August 15, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 07:33:32 PM by Smid »

506, you are awesome!

Miles - it may not necessarily be racially driven, just that like many other areas, the First Nations population votes NDP, and like in many other areas, the (white) rural areas vote Conservative. It may be demographic without being racial, if you follow my drift.

EDIT: Actually, I seem to recall (possibly Earl?) mentioning that the NDP had selected a strong candidate who was a tribal leader or something for that seat?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #274 on: August 15, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »

506, you are awesome!

Miles - it may not necessarily be racially driven, just that like many other areas, the First Nations population votes NDP, and like in many other areas, the (white) rural areas vote Conservative. It may be demographic without being racial, if you follow my drift.

EDIT: Actually, I seem to recall (possibly Earl?) mentioning that the NDP had selected a strong candidate who was a tribal leader or something for that seat?
  Don't disagree, just pointing out the similiarities albeit the reasons are probably quite different though.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies