2011 Canadian election maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:13:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61517 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: June 20, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »

I know a few of you said I could use your maps on my site, if you want me to please let me know.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:13:21 PM »

Im gonna see if I can get these to work this time. Otherwise, I'm going to have to rely on others for my blog.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:12:30 AM »

So the results are out? Cheesy

I'm going to be busy...

Shilly, can I use your maps for my blog? I'll give you credit for them.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:54:41 AM »

I'm going to be busy...

absolutely.

Thanks x1000000. I'll get cracking on a post soon. (still working on my Saskatchewan election prediction)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »

Hash, what's with the username? I know North Bay is a seedy little town, but I was wondering what is making you laugh at it. I'm going to be going there in August, as I do every summer.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »

I'm going to be busy...

absolutely.

Thanks x1000000. I'll get cracking on a post soon. (still working on my Saskatchewan election prediction)
For the record, I've got a Toronto composite map in the the works, so keep a eye out Wink

Sweet, that'll hit many birds with one stone Smiley

Hash, what's with the username? I know North Bay is a seedy little town, but I was wondering what is making you laugh at it. I'm going to be going there in August, as I do every summer.

Inside joke related to somebody I know who's from North Bay.
Ok...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

Alright so, even Ottawa South had some minor poll division boundary changes, and I tried to incorporate most of them from the map that was posted by Dean Sherratt in the gallery, but I couldn't tell where the boundaries were for some of the new polls.

So, here is Ottawa South with some minor boundary errors:

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »

Nipissing-Timiskaming

Analysis on my blog: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com/2011/07/2011-federal-election-poll-maps.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:43 PM »

I need to stop making fun of North Bay then. Too bad, considering that the only person I know from North Bay is a daily comedy tour.

Well, their current and last mayors were Tories. And they were the city to bring us Mike Harris. So, it's not the best city politically. I reckon it'll be more blue in the provincial election.

While North Bay has a beautiful waterfront, and some nice bike trails, it's pretty "working class" - that is poor, and has no industry, and anyone with any prospects in life (i.e. all of my aunts and uncles) move out of the city.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 10:49:57 PM »

North Bay is one place in northern Ontario that has absolutely no history of NDP support. ThunderBay, Sudbury, Timmins, the Soo have all gone NDP federally and provincially quite regularly, but North Bay never does and in fact the NDP is almost always a distant third there. is there any theory or reason as to why this is the case?

I've asked my Dad this (my Dad is from there) on a few occasions. I think he mentioned something about the rest of Northern Ontario having a tradition of mining, and miners were/are NDP voters. North Bay's main industry however was the railroads, and that's dead now.

Interestingly, both of my Dad's parents are/were NDP supporters (my Dad's not... it skipped a generation), and both lived in North Bay. Go figure.

Oh, and Nipissing does have an NDP history! It voted CCF provincially in 1943 Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »

North Bay is one place in northern Ontario that has absolutely no history of NDP support. ThunderBay, Sudbury, Timmins, the Soo have all gone NDP federally and provincially quite regularly, but North Bay never does and in fact the NDP is almost always a distant third there. is there any theory or reason as to why this is the case?

I've asked my Dad this (my Dad is from there) on a few occasions. I think he mentioned something about the rest of Northern Ontario having a tradition of mining, and miners were/are NDP voters. North Bay's main industry however was the railroads, and that's dead now.

Interestingly, both of my Dad's parents are/were NDP supporters (my Dad's not... it skipped a generation), and both lived in North Bay. Go figure.

Oh, and Nipissing does have an NDP history! It voted CCF provincially in 1943 Smiley

The 40's were very good for the CCF in those areas, I suppose. The Quebec provincial CCF won the only seat of their history in 1940, in Rouyn-Noranda, which isn't so far of North Bay.

Note: The provincial TB-Akitokan will come after I finished the (probably all orange, so boring) map of the other Abitibi riding. Sorry to inflige you that, but I love my region.

No problem. Maps are desired, and welcome. Cheesy

As for the CCF, they actually topped a nation wide poll in 1943 iirc. They formed the official opposition in Ontario, 4 seats away from winning. The CCF swept all but one Northern Ontario seats. They even won Parry Sound. The lone liberal seat was Algoma-Manitoulin.
Interestingly, the CCF won most of their seats in what would be called traditional NDP territory. I guess somethings never change.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:03:15 PM »

Excellent stuff. Analysis to come later.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 10:26:34 AM »

Did Jack even visit the riding much? It was not on anyone's radar in the pundit world. If Andrea visits the riding, we'll know we have a shot.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »

Jack was in Guildwood on the last leg of the campaign, I know that for sure. And I remember him in Brampton and being surprised at the huge turnout there.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »

ha. The NDP winning a poll in that riding is hilarious. We never run a serious campaign there. I'll have to do a google street view of that poll to check it out.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:29:11 PM »

ha. The NDP winning a poll in that riding is hilarious. We never run a serious campaign there. I'll have to do a google street view of that poll to check it out.

It's a bunch of small, poor, sketchy social housing. I think it's also quite ethnically diverse. It's not a place to take a field trip to.

Similar areas voted NDP in Ottawa South as well. Although, I wouldn't use the term "sketchy". I'm fairly comfortable walking into social housing projects.  Although perhaps the one in BH is especially bad?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 03:07:06 PM »

Holy s**t son. (looks at Ottawa-Vanier). I didn't realize the NDP would win that many polls. Clearly the French vote went overwhelmingly NDP. Too bad the rest of the riding is not very NDP friendly, and I'm sure they party did very poorly in Rockcliffe and Beacon Hill.  I think the party can do a lot better in Sandy Hill and Lower Town. This area was Alex Munter's best area in the 2006 municipal election, making me believe it's Ottawa most left wing neighbourhood.

BTW, my analysis of of the Toronto ridings have begun on my blog. It's pretty time consuming, so I'll release the ridings in stages.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 08:30:21 PM »

Er, this is my first map:

The West End goes for the NDP while those who can afford apartments by the shore vote for the Conservatives. Nor do the Greens win a single poll, though that may be an error on my part. Quite a large number of polls were decided by 1 or 2-vote margins. The reason Fry won by 5% was advance polling.

I might make a map of the Lower Mainland.

This map appears to be consistent to the Vancouver mayoral race that I am/was working on, but have temporarily abandoned.

But, I did make this city council map:

There is that right wing area on the north side of Downtown, and on the south side on False Creek. (I think it's Granville Island or something)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »

The NDP does more poorly in Northern Ontario cities as well (compared to rural areas), so maybe that has something to do with it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 10:53:06 PM »

I spoke to Dan Harris (we go way back to our days in ONDY, was elected in Scarborough SW) at the NDP platform launch it must have been April 10thish, anyway at that point he was confident he could win... but SSW had no incumbant and a scandal around the tory candidate... plus this was Dan's i believe 8th run at office.

there are some great maps being show over on Rabble if anyone wants too look, they don't define the poll border (which i hate) but give some great pictures... Shilly's maps are better

http://rabble.ca/babble/canadian-politics/electoral-maps-2011-federal-election-poll-poll-results

I just noticed this now... that guy must have some sort of program. The maps aren't that clear, but he sure has us beat. *sigh*. He's got pretty much the whole country covered by now.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »

I spoke to Dan Harris (we go way back to our days in ONDY, was elected in Scarborough SW) at the NDP platform launch it must have been April 10thish, anyway at that point he was confident he could win... but SSW had no incumbant and a scandal around the tory candidate... plus this was Dan's i believe 8th run at office.

there are some great maps being show over on Rabble if anyone wants too look, they don't define the poll border (which i hate) but give some great pictures... Shilly's maps are better

http://rabble.ca/babble/canadian-politics/electoral-maps-2011-federal-election-poll-poll-results

I just noticed this now... that guy must have some sort of program. The maps aren't that clear, but he sure has us beat. *sigh*. He's got pretty much the whole country covered by now.

Clear maps are better, so, let's continue.

I was about to say exactly this.

Yes, let's continue.  My site will be more than just poll maps anyways Wink

But I do wonder who this Krago guy is. I've seen his maps before, but I've never met him or heard of him. Obviously he's an NDPer. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »

It can't be too hard to automatically generate maps - all you need is to input the votes as values in a GIS and command it to colour a precinct depending on which value is the highest.

But, given there's already a map of Metro Vancouver available, would anyone want a map of Vancouver Island or the Fraser Valley first? It will definitely be easier to make.

I'm sure there'll be one on rabble soon :/

But yeah, I think we all prefer our style maps. They have poll boundaries and not giant fat riding boundaries.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The maps are in a PDF format, and you can zoom in for more detail.
The only problem I have is that borders for the Federal Districts are too thick.

Yeah I know... but, they're just not the same.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 02:31:37 AM »

I'm almost done my national map. Should be done tomorrow.

Any requests?

Yes. Can I use them for my blog? Cheesy

Geez, I sound like a broken record.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »

Guelph is not as much fun as it used to be.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies