Official Midterm Senate Elections Voting Booth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:22:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Voting Booth (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Official Midterm Senate Elections Voting Booth
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Official Midterm Senate Elections Voting Booth  (Read 29943 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2004, 12:15:24 AM »

And so ends another election in Atlasia...

Congrats to the winners. There were tough races all over with no lack of controversy.

There is one candidate in particular that I felt deserved to win and lost. That candidate is Senator SteveNick. The district 5 race really went down to the wire but unfortunatley it didn't end up going SteveNick's way. I'd like to thank him for his service in the Senate and hopefully he will return to elected office very soon. Congrats Gabu on an excellent race. I thought SteveNick had this won a few hours ago but it wasn't over until the final hours. Hopefully we can work together to get work done for Atlasia.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2004, 12:16:11 AM »

OK, If I'm wrong, correct me.

SuperSoulty votes:
AndrewBerger
ColinW
Erc
Huckleberry Finn
J.J.
Julien
Kemperor
Keystone Phil
Nation
Patrick1
Richard B Cheney
Supersoulty
(12)

Bulldog votes:
Boss Tweed
Danwxman
EarlAW
IrishDemocrat
LordTraldan
Romeomustdie
Smash255
TheBulldog
True Democrat
(9)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2004, 12:16:59 AM »

SuperSoulty votes:
AndrewBerger
ColinW
Erc
Huckleberry Finn
J.J.
Julien
Kemperor
Keystone Phil
Nation
Patrick1
Richard B Cheney
Supersoulty
(12)

Bulldog votes:
Boss Tweed
Danwxman
EarlAW
IrishDemocrat
LordTraldan
Romeomustdie
Smash255
TheBulldog
True Democrat
(9)

I didn't count Cheney. That explains it.
Josh
cyberlord

« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2004, 12:18:20 AM »

Congrats to the winners.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2004, 12:19:59 AM »

There seems to be some confusion as to the vote totals in D1. I am seeing some media outlets have it at 11-10 Supersoulty. I think Defarge thought it was 11-11, which is why he changed his vote to invalidate it.

There's no question that Supersoulty won, but I was just curious as to what the actual count is.

I can see the obvious source of one difference between The Region's results and the official results in that Fritz counted the vote of NixonNow (aka Richard B. Cheney aka Richard M. Nixon) who voted in D1 despite being registered in Texas.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2004, 12:21:40 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2004, 12:25:21 AM by Akno21 »

There seems to be some confusion as to the vote totals in D1. I am seeing some media outlets have it at 11-10 Supersoulty. I think Defarge thought it was 11-11, which is why he changed his vote to invalidate it.

There's no question that Supersoulty won, but I was just curious as to what the actual count is.

I can see the obvious source of one difference between The Region's results and the official results in that Fritz counted the vote of NixonNow (aka Richard B. Cheney aka Richard M. Nixon) who voted in D1 despite being registered in Texas.

Yes. He says he is registered in Pennslyvania, but is he?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2004, 12:24:55 AM »

And so ends another election in Atlasia...

Congrats to the winners. There were tough races all over with no lack of controversy.

There is one candidate in particular that I felt deserved to win and lost. That candidate is Senator SteveNick. The district 5 race really went down to the wire but unfortunatley it didn't end up going SteveNick's way. I'd like to thank him for his service in the Senate and hopefully he will return to elected office very soon. Congrats Gabu on an excellent race. I thought SteveNick had this won a few hours ago but it wasn't over until the final hours. Hopefully we can work together to get work done for Atlasia.

Gabu will be an excellent Senator, though I would have fundamentally supported StevenNick over him.  He has proven himself well in this present campaign.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2004, 12:25:30 AM »

Yes. He says he is registered in Pennslyvania, but is he?

Yes, he is.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2004, 12:29:29 AM »

NixonNow/Nixon/Cheney is registered in Pennsylvania, under questionable legality.  This is the same type of questionable legality that has allowed Philip to recently register with a new account in Virginia.  Technically, its legal I guess.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2004, 12:30:08 AM »

In the official voter's list, Richard M. Nixon is listed as being registered in Texas.  IIRC, he  tried to reregister to PA, but fell afoul of the four month rule as he had moved from NJ to TX less than four months ago.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2004, 12:30:41 AM »

In the official voter's list, Richard M. Nixon is listed as being registered in Texas.  IIRC, he  tried to reregister to PA, but fell afoul of the four month rule as he had moved from NJ to TX less than four months ago.

The voter's list isn't entirely updated. I am still listed as I-SD, for instance.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2004, 12:35:32 AM »

The list was frozen for the election, and neither RBC or RMN is listed in PA.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2004, 12:36:42 AM »

I should have changed Nixon to PA on the list.  The reason its legal is because he didnt *move* to Texas, his registration in Texas was his first under the account he is currently using.  So, he can move to PA and stay there for 4 months.

This is just one of many, many updates that need to be made to the voter lists post-election.  (Time to do the asterisk thing, and all that, a couple people moved and changed party during the election...)  I'll get a fresh list posted tomorrow evening.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2004, 01:00:07 AM »

NixonNow is reigstered in PA. He waited the 4 months before he changed.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2004, 01:38:44 AM »

SuperSoulty votes:
AndrewBerger
ColinW
Erc
Huckleberry Finn
J.J.
Julien
Kemperor
Keystone Phil
Nation
Patrick1
Richard B Cheney
Supersoulty
(12)

Bulldog votes:
Boss Tweed
Danwxman
EarlAW
IrishDemocrat
LordTraldan
Romeomustdie
Smash255
TheBulldog
True Democrat
(9)

Looks right to me. In that case, Defarge invalidating his vote didn't actually change anything.

Maybe some people were accidentally counting NickG's vote for Bulldog, that may have been leading some media outlets to incorrectly state the race as tied 11-11. As well, these sources were clearly not counting MIke NixonNow's vote. The race was actually 12-10, then became 12-9 when Defarge invalidated his ballot.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2004, 01:40:12 AM »

I should have changed Nixon to PA on the list.  The reason its legal is because he didnt *move* to Texas, his registration in Texas was his first under the account he is currently using.  So, he can move to PA and stay there for 4 months.

This is just one of many, many updates that need to be made to the voter lists post-election.  (Time to do the asterisk thing, and all that, a couple people moved and changed party during the election...)  I'll get a fresh list posted tomorrow evening.

NixonNow violated the spirit of the law, as he is clearly the same person as he was before, under his old deleted account. Therefore, he has changed registrations more times than allowed; but as he deleted his old account and created a new one, he followed the letter of the law.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2004, 01:42:01 AM »

SuperSoulty votes:
AndrewBerger
ColinW
Erc
Huckleberry Finn
J.J.
Julien
Kemperor
Keystone Phil
Nation
Patrick1
Richard B Cheney
Supersoulty
(12)

Bulldog votes:
Boss Tweed
Danwxman
EarlAW
IrishDemocrat
LordTraldan
Romeomustdie
Smash255
TheBulldog
True Democrat
(9)

Looks right to me. In that case, Defarge invalidating his vote didn't actually change anything.

Maybe some people were accidentally counting NickG's vote for Bulldog, that may have been leading some media outlets to incorrectly state the race as tied 11-11. As well, these sources were clearly not counting MIke NixonNow's vote. The race was actually 12-10, then became 12-9 when Defarge invalidated his ballot.

Don't try to cheapen Defarge's selfless act.  Tongue
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2004, 01:45:28 AM »

SuperSoulty votes:
AndrewBerger
ColinW
Erc
Huckleberry Finn
J.J.
Julien
Kemperor
Keystone Phil
Nation
Patrick1
Richard B Cheney
Supersoulty
(12)

Bulldog votes:
Boss Tweed
Danwxman
EarlAW
IrishDemocrat
LordTraldan
Romeomustdie
Smash255
TheBulldog
True Democrat
(9)

Don't try to cheapen Defarge's selfless act. Tongue

Not cheapening it. If someone changes his mind and wants to vote for a different candidate, I have no problem with that at all. He did the honorable thing, to be willing to admit that he felt his vote was a mistake, and that he desired to change it. I wish he had deleted his vote and made a new post with his new vote, in that case the vote would have actually been counted for you.

Just pointing out that the media didn't do the best job in their vote counting this year. It was a serious error in this case as it led to much consternation as to what the result would be when it wasn't actually in doubt in the final hours.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2004, 01:55:34 AM »

SuperSoulty votes:
AndrewBerger
ColinW
Erc
Huckleberry Finn
J.J.
Julien
Kemperor
Keystone Phil
Nation
Patrick1
Richard B Cheney
Supersoulty
(12)

Bulldog votes:
Boss Tweed
Danwxman
EarlAW
IrishDemocrat
LordTraldan
Romeomustdie
Smash255
TheBulldog
True Democrat
(9)

Don't try to cheapen Defarge's selfless act. Tongue

Not cheapening it. If someone changes his mind and wants to vote for a different candidate, I have no problem with that at all. He did the honorable thing, to be willing to admit that he felt his vote was a mistake, and that he desired to change it. I wish he had deleted his vote and made a new post with his new vote, in that case the vote would have actually been counted for you.

Just pointing out that the media didn't do the best job in their vote counting this year. It was a serious error in this case as it led to much consternation as to what the result would be when it wasn't actually in doubt in the final hours.

I had a hard time counting votes for myself with all the irregularities that existed.  There were times when I honestly thought that I was down by three or four.  I guess it appears that that was never the case.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2004, 02:59:48 AM »

If a vote can't be altered, shouldn't this mean that the vote from the original post has to stay? IIRC that was the framers' original intent. After all you can't go back to the polling station and change your vote either.
If that were the case Defarge couldn't devalidate his vote.
Re:NixonNow.
He was also, for a while, fantasy registered twice, just like IrishDem/GirlGoneWild.
So was (is?) RReagan4Ever/Eversole_Adam (neither of them ever tried to vote twice in the same election, however.)
Basically, if we allow this practice of deleting yourself and reregistering to stand, we'd better scrap the "no moves in four months" requirement as the loophole is going to be larger than the law itself.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2004, 09:17:34 AM »

I voted for Harry in District 4 (among with all others, being not too clear about the rules)

However, my vote was not counted because I edited it. Can I challenge this in the Supreme Court?

Dave
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2004, 09:25:42 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2004, 10:02:04 AM by ColinW »

I voted for Harry in District 4 (among with all others, being not too clear about the rules)

However, my vote was not counted because I edited it. Can I challenge this in the Supreme Court?

Dave

No you cannot. It is Atlasian law that you cannot edit a vote and if you do it will not be counted. You could have deleted your vote and revoted but it is too late to due so. If you did bring this to the court the court would not accept the challenge since the office of the SoFA has said that if you edit a vote it cannot be counted.

I must say congradulations to all of the winners. Gabu, WMS, Al, Siege and Supersoulty are all great men who deserved to win and will help and serve Atlasia to the best of their abilities. I must also thank Defarge for doing the self-less act of editing his vote and thus giving Supersoulty the lead. I thank both him and Gabu for seeing that the man who deserved to win that race was Supersoulty. I once against congradulate all the victories and say good luck to all those who lost.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2004, 09:43:52 AM »

Dave

No you cannot. It is Atlasian law that you cannot edit a vote and if you do it will not be counted. You could have deleted your vote and revoted but it is too late to due so. If you did bring this to the court the court would not accept the challenge since the office of the SoFA has said that if you edit a vote it cannot be counted.
Of course you can. In fact I guess you should.
That's what the Supreme Court is for after all - as a second instance in case the SOFA s up. Looking at the established body of precedent, I don't like your chances that very much, though, I have to say.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
So Siege and TrueDemocrat didn't and won't? ;( At least you did congratulate them. Smiley
Which was clearly in violation of the spirit of the law...oh well, it didn't change the outcome.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2004, 10:03:40 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
So Siege and TrueDemocrat didn't and won't? ;( At least you did congratulate them. Smiley
Oh I'm sorry to both of them especially Siege. Didn't mean it, it was a slip of the memory. Thank you for pointing that out Lewis.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2004, 10:05:35 AM »

Dave

I must say congradulations to all of the winners. Gabu, WMS, Al, Siege and Supersoulty are all great men who deserved to win and will help and serve Atlasia to the best of their abilities. I must also thank Defarge for doing the self-less act of editing his vote and thus giving Supersoulty the lead. I thank both him and Gabu for seeing that the man who deserved to win that race was Supersoulty. I once against congradulate all the victories and say good luck to all those who lost.

For one thing, I don't think you have any legal standing to act on behalf of the Court and say what they would rule. Unless you have spoken to every justice, you don't know what they would say. Even if you have you don't really have any authority to speak on their behalf on this manner.

Not to mention that you are wrong in saying that he can't challenge it. He has every right to challenge it. Whether he will win or not is uncertain, but you make it sound as if he can't challenge it.

As I've said in other threads, it's unclear as to whether a vote constitutes the entire post, or just the text stating the formal expression of preference. Just because he edited his post doesn't mean he changed his vote, and he can get plenty of witnesses to attest to the fact that his vote didn't change.

It's also worth noting that Supersoulty was 2 votes ahead when Defarge changed his vote. I still strongly respect him for having the guts to admit that he thought he had made a mistake, but it didn't change the outcome of the race.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies