Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 07:40:19 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: afleitch, Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC, Badger)
| | |-+  Deliberately changing shirts to avoid being "that guy"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Would you do this?
Yes   -7 (63.6%)
No   -4 (36.4%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Deliberately changing shirts to avoid being "that guy"  (Read 2185 times)
I am stabbed by grace and slinging blood
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:45:59 pm »
Ignore

As noted, I saw Lemuria yesterday. I have a Lemuria shirt and usually I just throw on the first shirt I picked out of my clean laundry basket for the day. That happened to be the one I put on yesterday. I didn't notice until I was about to leave for the show. Even though they were the first opener I'm glad I caught it as I changed into a Thermals shirt. It may have been a complete coincidence but...

Of course once I was there I saw a more than a few people breaking the rule in Against Me! shirts, though all appeared to be in high school. None at the bar.

Famous True Leftists:

King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:05:19 pm »
Ignore

Feel free to let us in on what the hell you're talking about at any time, BRTD

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:07:13 pm »
Ignore

He's talking about wearing band shirts of the band you're going to see and how that is wrong.  He is correct, it is wrong.

Of course once I was there I saw a more than a few people breaking the rule in Against Me! shirts, though all appeared to be in high school. None at the bar.
Did their dads teach them nothing?

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:14:06 pm »
Ignore

When I went to see MCR last month, I wore a Black Veil Brides shirt. But yeah, it's a cardinal sin to wear the band's shirt to that band's show, in my book.

BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:14:43 pm »
Ignore

Should this apply to merch people? Because Against Me!'s merch girl was wearing a Minor Threat shirt but some sort of skirt with a Lemuria patch sewed in. I'd argue that they are exempt though since they probably have a limited wardrobe on tour.

Famous True Leftists:

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 11:17:30 pm »
Ignore

If I had a dollar for every time those concerns crossed my mind... I'd be about $3 short on being able to buy a large latte Tongue

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:18:14 pm »
Ignore

One time I bought a shirt from Kohls, and the next week I saw a rather nasty kid at my school wearing the exact shirt. I never put it on and gave it away to Goodwill last week.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
-Jackie Robinson
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:18:56 pm »
Ignore

When I went to see MCR last month, I wore a Black Veil Brides shirt. But yeah, it's a cardinal sin to wear the band's shirt to that band's show, in my book.

So you wore the shirt of a band that is even worse and manages to somehow look more even stupid?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:21:56 pm by and it was about dreams of flying to spite a falling sky »Logged

Famous True Leftists:

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:19:23 pm »
Ignore

One time I bought a shirt from Kohls, and the next week I saw a rather nasty kid at my school wearing the exact shirt. I never put it on and gave it away to Goodwill last week.

I don't care if you're serious or if that was a gimmick post, but I love it.  I think I'm going to have to sig that.

It is very advisable to examine and dissect the men of science for once, since they for their part are quite accustomed to laying bold hands on everything in the world, even the most venerable things, and taking them to pieces.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:19:36 pm »
Ignore

No, it shouldn't apply to the merch people. (assuming they work for the band and are not locals)

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:20:45 pm »
Ignore

I don't care if you're serious or if that was a gimmick post, but I love it.  I think I'm going to have to sig that.
I'm actually being completely serious. It was a shirt referencing to Twinkies, and I just got a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw this kid wearing the shirt. Trust me, if you saw him, you'd have the same reaction.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
-Jackie Robinson
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 11:23:00 pm »
Ignore

No, it shouldn't apply to the merch people. (assuming they work for the band and are not locals)

Yeah I've seen bands on tour together wear each others' shirts before, it's probably this kind of thing. It looks pathetic though if someone wears their own band's shirt.

Famous True Leftists:

King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:05:17 am »
Ignore

He's talking about wearing band shirts of the band you're going to see and how that is wrong.  He is correct, it is wrong.

Ah, I don't pay attention to such things when at concerts.  Sorry.  I guess that mean's I'm "that guy," but I don't think I've ever worn a band shirt to go anywhere.  The only ones I own I just wear around the house... vacuuming and stuff.

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 01:50:00 am »
Ignore

I've never owned a band t-shirt... it always screamed 'tragic' to me.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 01:51:43 am »
Ignore

I have never broken the rule thankfully.

Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 03:04:54 am »

Who needs shirts, when you look like this?

Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 03:40:47 am »
Ignore

You've turned into quite the flamer lately, Inks.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 05:28:39 am »
Ignore

Anybody who wears any kind of band shirt at any time will always be "that guy" to me.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 07:05:34 am »
Ignore

So you wore the shirt of a band that is even worse and manages to somehow look more even stupid?

I bought the shirt about 6 months ago and I was really into their music at the time, but I agree that they look like Motley Cre got caught in a trailerpark tornado. Plus their last album was garbage and I'm not really into them any more.

rejectamenta
YaBB God
Botswana

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 07:08:14 am »
Ignore

They're actually too lame looking to even be Motley Crue, they're more Britny Fox

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 07:10:23 am »
Ignore

They're actually too lame looking to even be Motley Crue, they're more Britny Fox

IIRC, Britny Fox didn't even wear black.

EDIT: Yeah not really.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:12:42 am by Governor Jake Matthews (I-NJ) »Logged

rejectamenta
YaBB God
Botswana

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 07:57:50 am »
Ignore

True, but if we're talking in relative terms Crue is still massively cooler than Britny Fox

They all suck compared to WASP, though!!

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 08:23:20 am »
Ignore

I went to see mewithoutYou in Oneonta in April 24 2009.  I wore a George Carlin t-shirt and jeans, but one friend I was with was wearing a mwY shirt.  remembering BRTD, I made him promise me that he would wear his sweatshirt over the t-shirt for the duration of the show, which he did.  I got back into Ithaca around 1am on the 25th, bought a pack of Virginia Blends (had been smoking Smooths all night and the menthol was really starting to tick me off), made a failed pea soup (since referred to as 'pea mush' - it looked terrible but tasted ok), consumed it in the common quad of Cornell's Townhouses-H, and went to bed around 4am.  I believe I bowled for charity the next day and it was unseasonably warm.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 01:54:20 pm »
Ignore

I've never owned a band t-shirt... it always screamed 'tragic' to me.

I would have to agree.  The only band t-shirt I own is a Death Cab For Cuties one, and I only bought it because it was in a Thai second hand market.  Somehow I thought that made it worthwhile.  And anyway it was only a dollar.

I do have an Okie Nooding T-shirt however, purchased at a screening, and consider that something special.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 03:52:41 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, count me as another who doesn't have any band t-shirts.

I wouldn't mind one or two, I guess.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout