your position on syria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:05:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  your position on syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ....
regime change

i stand by obama, and support the policy of appeasing brutal dictators...

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: your position on syria  (Read 2870 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 03:19:09 AM »

As Rocket put it I am rooting for my own sect: that is to say, for regime change.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 07:08:43 AM »

For once, I stand with Obama. Haven't we learned anything from Iraq?

It's so amusing that a lot of people, who were (rightly, after all) criticizing Bush, are now supporting intervention in Libya. I wonder how would they react if exactly the same thing happened under Bush.

Not hard to guess. It would be "omg, another imperialist war Bush took us into!"
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »

It's so amusing that a lot of people, who were (rightly, after all) criticizing Bush, are now supporting intervention in Libya. I wonder how would they react if exactly the same thing happened under Bush.

Not hard to guess. It would be "omg, another imperialist war Bush took us into!"

Nonsense. The differences between Iraq 2003 and Libya 2011 are enormous. The action in Libya was authorized by the United Nations, the adventure into Iraq was not. This action had the support of the Arab governments (except for that prick Bashar), which the Invasion of Iraq did not. Another major reason was that the reason for intervening in Libya was humanitarian, the reason for going into Iraq was to dismantle some sort of weapons program that didn't exist (It later became humanitarian to avoid the "No WMDs" charges).

Also, a major difference is that Donald Rumsfeld is not in charge of the Libyan intervention, which means a lot to many people.

I'm suspect there'd be more support for Iraq had Saddam Hussein been a Shi'a or a Chaldean.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 05:41:25 PM »

Nonsense. The differences between Iraq 2003 and Libya 2011 are enormous. The action in Libya was authorized by the United Nations, the adventure into Iraq was not. This action had the support of the Arab governments (except for that prick Bashar), which the Invasion of Iraq did not. Another major reason was that the reason for intervening in Libya was humanitarian, the reason for going into Iraq was to dismantle some sort of weapons program that didn't exist (It later became humanitarian to avoid the "No WMDs" charges).

Also, a major difference is that Donald Rumsfeld is not in charge of the Libyan intervention, which means a lot to many people.

Though your points are valid, the truth remains that Libya would probably be perceived totally different had it happened under Bush.  I didn't agree with Iraq nor do I agree with Libya, and while I'm glad that we're currently limiting our scope of operations in Libya, to say that we're not in "hostilities" is quite ridiculous.

As far as Syria goes, I'd like regime change.  However, I will not support a regime change that involves U.S. intervention in Syria whatsoever.   
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »

Exactly! It's not so much that the isolationist side of this argument want to appease foreign dictators, but that we just can't afford to go around and 'fix' all the world's problems anymore.

A better choice of options for this poll would be "I stand by Obama, and support the policy of appeasing brutal dictators" OR "I support the US starting another war we don't have the money or discipline to finish in another country costing another $500 Billion and 2,000 more American lives"
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 12:49:37 PM »

Exactly! It's not so much that the isolationist side of this argument want to appease foreign dictators, but that we just can't afford to go around and 'fix' all the world's problems anymore.

A better choice of options for this poll would be "I stand by Obama, and support the policy of appeasing brutal dictators" OR "I support the US starting another war we don't have the money or discipline to finish in another country costing another $500 Billion and 2,000 more American lives"

I voted regime change, but I'd prefer it occur by means in this order:

1.  Internal
2.  External - Arab
3.  External - Turkey
4.  External - UN
5.  External - EU
6.  External - NATO
7.  External - US
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length