The Republicans continue to act like children and threaten to crash the economy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:57:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Republicans continue to act like children and threaten to crash the economy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Republicans continue to act like children and threaten to crash the economy  (Read 2040 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 09:54:46 AM »
« edited: June 28, 2011, 09:59:19 AM by anvikshiki »

t_host1,

We know from the experience of countries like Israel, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico in the '80's that printing more money to finance debt causes hyperinflation, and wreaks havoc on the economy anyway.  

Torie,

Oh, I have no doubt the GOP will use all the "leverage" at its disposal.  I acknowledge, of course, that we need entitlement reform, and we also need some actual ways to control health care cost inflation.  But the slogan "cutting spending" is a nifty abstraction that skirts around lots of very difficult consequences for middle class economic security, which I'd hope is in everyone's best interests, and the poor.  Are there any remedies for these consequences, or just none?  I, like Badger, see no evidence the GOP is looking for a deal to cut on entitlements in order to agree to any tax hike.  Their line is not: "here are some revenue enhancements we'll bring to the table if you guys agree to entitlement reform."  Their line is "cut spending or no deal on raising the debt ceiling," and it sounds much less like a negotiating position to me than just an outright demand.  Of course, Democrats should be faulted too; I see no evidence that they're bringing anything on entitlement reform or tax code revision to the table either.  It's typical pointless negotiation, and it's no wonder that it's getting nowhere.    
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »

The way I see it.  Either Democrats cave or sh** hits the fan. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »

The way I see it.  Either Democrats cave or sh** hits the fan. 

Methinks that's the way Boehner and McConnell see it too.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 04:25:12 PM »

Well, if it comes down to an abject GOP walkout and threat not to raise the debt ceiling, if I were Obama, I'd wait till two evenings before their vote and do a prime-time national address, during which I'd explain the consequences of not raising it, and then say: "ok, it's the Republicans' call.  Tell them in the next two days what you want them to do."  Either their buddies on Wall Street won't let them freeze the ceiling, or they'll freeze it, and the consequences will be on their shoulders, since it sure as hell isn't what the Dems or Obama wanted.  Negotiations leverage is one thing, but nonsense is nonsense. Enough already.  Call the bluff.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2011, 04:28:56 PM by Swedish Cheese »

Oh for God's sake, both Democrats in here and in Congress needs to grow some balls and a spine. You're really gonna tremble in front of John Boehner's empty threats? Boehner is a cry-baby wuss. Democrats and Republicans are both racing towards a cliff, and for some reason Democrats seem to think that if they don't give the GOP their house, their money, their wife, and a blow-job they will actually drive out from that cliff. Stop listening to Fox News and start using your brains. The Republicans win all the time not because they have the better cards, but because the Dems fold as soon as they start raising the prize. And the GOP don't even have a good pocker-face.

Depressions aren't any better for business than they are for regular folks, and if you've failed to notice the GOP is owned by business.     

At least the left in my country has some balls and principle. Sure they're equally incompitent and have horrible policy, but they at least manage to get their agenda through now and then.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 04:29:28 PM »

Oh for God's sake, both Democrats in here and in Congress needs to grow some balls and a spine. You're really gonna tremble in front of John Boehner's empty threats? Boehner is a cry-baby wuss. Democrats and Republicans are both racing towards a cliff, and for some reason Democrats seem to think that if they don't give the GOP their house, their money, their wife, and a blow-job they will actually drive out from that cliff. Stop listening to Fox News and start using your brains. The Republicans win all the time not because they have the better cards, but because the Dems fold as soon as they start raising the prize. And the GOP don't even have a good pocker-face.

Well said. And this is hardly the first situation like this. And when the Dems inevitably cave, it reinforces the GOP's bad behavior.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 09:16:32 PM »

Obama should just quote the 14th amendment and tell the teabaggers to shove it.

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.
t_host1

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 09:53:17 PM »

t_host1,

We know from the experience of countries like Israel, Argentina, Brazil and Mexico in the '80's that printing more money to finance debt causes hyperinflation, and wreaks havoc on the economy anyway.  Torie,

Oh, I have no doubt the GOP will use all the "leverage" at its disposal.  I acknowledge, of course, that we need entitlement reform, and we also need some actual ways to control health care cost inflation.  But the slogan "cutting spending" is a nifty abstraction that skirts around lots of very difficult consequences for middle class economic security, which I'd hope is in everyone's best interests, and the poor.  Are there any remedies for these consequences, or just none?  I, like Badger, see no evidence the GOP is looking for a deal to cut on entitlements in order to agree to any tax hike.  Their line is not: "here are some revenue enhancements we'll bring to the table if you guys agree to entitlement reform."  Their line is "cut spending or no deal on raising the debt ceiling," and it sounds much less like a negotiating position to me than just an outright demand.  Of course, Democrats should be faulted too; I see no evidence that they're bringing anything on entitlement reform or tax code revision to the table either.  It's typical pointless negotiation, and it's no wonder that it's getting nowhere.    

Great! - this whole thing may be easier than expected then, a Hold it is. I'm sure Treasury Sect. Tim and US House oversight are making their list and checking it twice as to who will get payed first.

Atlas Elections - Congrats to all victorious to their positions of power.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 06:15:13 AM »

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.

It just might happen. Senate Dems are looking into it.
t_host1

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 07:48:37 AM »

It just might happen. Senate Dems are looking into it.

WOW, extortion is legal - this whole teabag'n thing is real & legit, don't question it as section 4 - 14th so declares.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies