Homosexuality (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:58:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Homosexuality (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that homosexuality is genetic, or a lifestyle choice?
Democrat: genetic

Democrat: lifestyle choice

Republican: genetic

Republican: lifestyle choice

independent/third party: genetic

independent/third party: lifestyle choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 123

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 24014 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: June 30, 2011, 10:49:32 PM »

I think the issue of human sexuality is very very complex.

I'm personally of the view that sexuality is largely based on genetic traits, but there are also elements of external factors in some people... but the thing I've noticed is that there are virtually no common factors in the backgrounds of any of my gay or lesbian friends.

There is some evidence which supports the younger brother factor... but it's not that compelling.

While I agree that the act of sexuality is a choice, but I think the recipe for mental instability is the suppression of normal healthy sexual expression. I know some people who were and some who are still in the closet... and I honestly don't think I've known more miserable people.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:16:30 AM »

Actually no, one can be in the closet and not be having sex, being in the closet is about deliberately hiding your sexuality.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:20:52 PM »

Actually no, one can be in the closet and not be having sex, being in the closet is about deliberately hiding your sexuality.

Being in the closet means a "public" denial of your sexual preference, I will give you that.  The cases you described were of people sexually active that operate, or wish to operate, on that preference.

I think you're moving the goal posts on this one... there is a clear difference between the Act of sex and sexuality - someone can be sexually attracted to men, but having sex with women...

I think most people wish to act on their sexual interests... it's a kind of fundamental element of sexuality and how you know what your sexuality is.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »

when you were young and your heart was an open book...

Damn it!!! It's going to be in my head all day now!!!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »

I recently read a very interesting book recommended by a friend on the studies related to sexuality over the past 40 years.

His hypothesis is this - there is no actual single gay-gene - so in reality no trait to be passed on - but what does seem to happen is a flood of hormones at a key stage in the foetus' development that triggers an effect in a key part of the hyper-thalamus which control the more primal sexual attraction - which gives a gay man all of the testosterone of a man, and the same physical and sexual development of a man - but with a similar portion of the hyper-thalamus to that of a woman. So they end up finding those traits about men sexually arousing as well as triggered to 'nest' with a man rather than a woman.

Honestly, it's the most reasonable option out there I've heard.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »

Lol... I said the in-utero hormonal theory makes the most sense... to me.

It's quite plausible that there is a heredity element - even if there isn't a clear genetic connection that doesn't mean that homosexuality isn't naturally occurring and inate to someone from the time they're born - and a non-changeable part of who a person is.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:09 PM »

Funny, Polnut and I posted much the same thing within three hours of each other. Smiley

a) because we rock

b) because I don't read posts above me thoroughly
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies