Homosexuality (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:24:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Homosexuality (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that homosexuality is genetic, or a lifestyle choice?
Democrat: genetic

Democrat: lifestyle choice

Republican: genetic

Republican: lifestyle choice

independent/third party: genetic

independent/third party: lifestyle choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 123

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 24019 times)
Lulz
Rookie

« on: June 29, 2011, 03:28:28 PM »

Democrat, Lifestyle Choice

This is not a very good poll.  I chose lifestyle choice because I'm not comfortable with the whole gay thing, but truth be told there just isn't enough science to support either view.
Lulz
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »

Democrat, Lifestyle Choice

This is not a very good poll.  I chose lifestyle choice because I'm not comfortable with the whole gay thing, but truth be told there just isn't enough science to support either view.

Well I can help you with part of it. I'm gay; so if you consider it to be a 'lifestyle choice', ask me anything you want on it.

That would be like going onto an internet forum and asking an alleged cancer patient whether their cancer was caused by genetics or environmental factors.  That is hardly a scientific exercise.

There are hundreds of disorders that have been definitvily found to have a genetic basis.  We can test for them and say with 100% certainty that a person has the disease or is a carrier.  There are far more things where we just don't know.  Homosexuality is one of them.

We can't say for sure ALL homosexual are compelled to behave the way they do based on genetics neither can we deny it.  It needs more research.  That is the reasonable answer.
Lulz
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »

Anyone who claims homosexuality a choice doesn't have a brain. You can't control to what/whom you're attracted to.

Did I ever "choose" to be straight? I don't recall.

There are women walking around Africa with a plate in their lower lip.  They still manage to get laid.  Does that mean African men are genetically predisposed to dig chicks with plates in their lip?

This is why I say this poll makes no sense.  Everyone has an agenda.  Whether or not homosexuality is 100% choice or 100% genetic or something in between is a matter of scientific fact.  It is not an opinion.  And frankly the evidence is inconclusive at best.  If you know more than those of us with "no brain."  Please post the genetic sequence for this "gay" gene.
Lulz
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:11 PM »

Anyone who claims homosexuality a choice doesn't have a brain. You can't control to what/whom you're attracted to.

Did I ever "choose" to be straight? I don't recall.

There are women walking around Africa with a plate in their lower lip.  They still manage to get laid.  Does that mean African men are genetically predisposed to dig chicks with plates in their lip?

This is why I say this poll makes no sense.  Everyone has an agenda.  Whether or not homosexuality is 100% choice or 100% genetic or something in between is a matter of scientific fact.  It is not an opinion.  And frankly the evidence is inconclusive at best.  If you know more than those of us with "no brain."  Please post the genetic sequence for this "gay" gene.

Though I appreciate your desire for more data, no one will ever find "the genetic sequence for this 'gay' gene"; for one, there's probably many more than one gene which affects sexuality, and, for two, genes are inherently way more complicated than one gene -> one trait.

Well then this gentleman should have a variety of genetic sequences to post to prove his point.

My point is we don't know.  I know there are those with an agenda that want to say its genetic yet they can't point to any definitive data to back up their point of view.  And there at those with equally little evidence that wish to close their minds to the possibility that it may be genetic.  Neither party is correct.  The answer is we need to do more research to answer the question.

If this was a disease there is no way members of the public with no scientific background would spend days on internet forums fiercely arguing about something with so little data.  Its absurd.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies