Mid-Term Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:55:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mid-Term Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Mid-Term Discussion Thread  (Read 14597 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2004, 10:25:44 AM »

The reason for enforcing the law is that if I don't, people don't take it seriously and continue to disregard the law.

I clearly gave notice that voters who don't properly identify their state of registration would not have their votes counted.  I issued a reminder of this shortly after the election began.

For this reason, the votes of EarlAW and Ethelberth are invalid.

Other invalid votes:

NickG is not registered in District 1.  His vote for TheBulldog will count as a vote for TheBulldog in District 2, and will not be added to TheBulldog's vote tally in District 1.  (NickG's vote for TrueDemocrat in the special election is perfectly valid, however.)

I cannot find Chiahead on the registered voter list.  His vote is invalid.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2004, 10:31:23 AM »

The reason for enforcing the law is that if I don't, people don't take it seriously and continue to disregard the law.

I clearly gave notice that voters who don't properly identify their state of registration would not have their votes counted.  I issued a reminder of this shortly after the election began.

Other invalid votes:

NickG is not registered in District 1.  His vote for TheBulldog will count as a vote for TheBulldog in District 2, and will not be added to TheBulldog's vote tally in District 1.  (NickG's vote for TrueDemocrat in the special election is perfectly valid, however.)

I cannot find Chiahead on the registered voter list.  His vote is invalid.

Good decision.
However, I have a question about the law. Voter A votes for Candidate B at 1:00. He does not have the right avatar or note in his signature. Then, at 3:00, he changes it so that he does have the right avatar. Would his vote count? There would be no way of knowing when he changed his avatar to his registered state, only eye-witness reports.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2004, 10:44:23 AM »

I clearly gave notice that voters who don't properly identify their state of registration would not have their votes counted. I issued a reminder of this shortly after the election began.

Other invalid votes:

NickG is not registered in District 1. His vote for TheBulldog will count as a vote for TheBulldog in District 2, and will not be added to TheBulldog's vote tally in District 1. (NickG's vote for TrueDemocrat in the special election is perfectly valid, however.)

I cannot find Chiahead on the registered voter list. His vote is invalid.

Regarding EarlAW's vote, he stated his state of registration on his ballot itself. He has upheld the spirit of the law, which is to make the SOFA's job easier by not forcing him to check the registered voter list to find the state of registration of each voter. By providing this information on his ballot, as opposed to in his signature, he is not making the SOFA's job ANY more difficult AT ALL. Thus, I feel the vote should count, as disallowing it due to the placement of the information, when the necessary information was provided, is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

In the future, the requirement to have the state of registration in the voters' signature should be required to be placed in the official voting thread itself. Nowhere in the thread does it state that this is a requirement. I realize that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but EarlAW may well have misinterpreted the term "signature" to mean the bottom of his ballot. I feel this is a forgiveable mistake and should be overlooked.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2004, 10:49:01 AM »

Fritz, we count Democratic Hawk for Harry, and remind him kindly that he's only in one district, right?

That happened before as well.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2004, 10:50:06 AM »

Fritz, we count Democratic Hawk for Harry, and remind him kindly that he's only in one district, right?

Why are the Democrats the only ones who aren't voting properly?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2004, 10:51:41 AM »

Well, Chiahead tried to vote but wasn't registered, if you count that.
qwerty
ghwbush
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2004, 10:51:54 AM »

Because they're idiots.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2004, 10:54:24 AM »

Actually, his vote shouldn't count at all, since he has no avatar or message in his signature saying where he's registered.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2004, 10:56:19 AM »

Actually, his vote shouldn't count at all, since he has no avatar or message in his signature saying where he's registered.

Right.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2004, 11:04:28 AM »

Why don't you ask that to dabeav supporters in the Midwest?  So far dabeav has been the only one (besides me) to use pref. voting and he only preferenced himself Wink

Anyway, it seems my GOAV (Go Out And Vote) PM has worked, with rather unfortunate side effects Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2004, 11:05:14 AM »

Why don't you ask that to dabeav supporters in the Midwest?  So far dabeav has been the only one (besides me) to use pref. voting and he only preferenced himself Wink

Anyway, it seems my GOAV (Go Out And Vote) PM has worked, with rather unfortunate side effects Smiley

Who did you PM, ILV?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2004, 11:12:58 AM »

Who did you PM, ILV?

Every resident of the Midwest. Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2004, 11:14:26 AM »

Who did you PM, ILV?

PM your supporters, smart one. And PM them a few weeks beforehand to find out who they are.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2004, 11:18:46 AM »

Who did you PM, ILV?

PM your supporters, smart one. And PM them a few weeks beforehand to find out who they are.

Nah, I felt civic-minded Smiley

Besides, I don't want the unfortunate label of tomatosouper.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2004, 11:19:17 AM »

Who did you PM, ILV?

Nah, I felt civic-minded Smiley

Have fun watching Dabeav for 4 months.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2004, 01:03:06 PM »

Democratic Hawk and EarlAW have both updated their signatures to include their state of registration.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2004, 01:09:45 PM »

Democratic Hawk and EarlAW have both updated their signatures to include their state of registration.

...after they voted.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2004, 01:18:14 PM »

Democratic Hawk also voted for every district and edited his post...
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2004, 01:18:30 PM »

...after they voted.
Exactly. You and Nym are apologizing for voter fraud. Fritz bumped the  thread up this week. Gabu has taken the right position, " I wish the votes counted, but it is still against the rules." Follow the rules or don't bother having them.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2004, 01:18:54 PM »

...after they voted.

True. What's the exact law on that? Seems to me this should pass muster, the result is literally exactly the same.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2004, 01:22:20 PM »

...after they voted.
Exactly. You and Nym are apologizing for voter fraud. Fritz bumped the  thread up this week. Gabu has taken the right position, " I wish the votes counted, but it is still against the rules." Follow the rules or don't bother having them.

Um, no. Why is it fraud? They are legally registered voters. They were simply confused as to what a "signature" was and put it on the bottom of the post itself, not in their profile signature. I'm sorry, but you guys are going ridiculously overboard and not using common sense in the least here.

That's why Democratic Hawk edited his post, he removed the signature from the vote itself. He didn't change his vote. As for voting in every district, obviously his vote will only count in D4.

If Fritz still wants to try to throw them out, that is his perogative, but I would fully support a challenge to the Supreme Court. I don't favor blatantly flaunting rules, but this is just getting silly.
Josh
cyberlord

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2004, 01:34:55 PM »

...after they voted.
Exactly. You and Nym are apologizing for voter fraud. Fritz bumped the  thread up this week. Gabu has taken the right position, " I wish the votes counted, but it is still against the rules." Follow the rules or don't bother having them.

Um, no. Why is it fraud? They are legally registered voters. They were simply confused as to what a "signature" was and put it on the bottom of the post itself, not in their profile signature. I'm sorry, but you guys are going ridiculously overboard and not using common sense in the least here.

That's why Democratic Hawk edited his post, he removed the signature from the vote itself. He didn't change his vote. As for voting in every district, obviously his vote will only count in D4.

If Fritz still wants to try to throw them out, that is his perogative, but I would fully support a challenge to the Supreme Court. I don't favor blatantly flaunting rules, but this is just getting silly.

Agreed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2004, 01:36:50 PM »

Do you lot want to lose two thoughtfull and intelligent voters?

No?

Then quit picking on Earl and Dave (Demohawk).
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2004, 01:40:54 PM »

Damn impartiality....I want to participate in this discussion!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2004, 01:42:09 PM »

Well, Chiahead tried to vote but wasn't registered, if you count that.

He is registered, I'm possitive.  He has voted before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies