Confirmation Hearing: Oakvale for Associate Justice (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:50:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Oakvale for Associate Justice (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Oakvale for Associate Justice (Confirmed)  (Read 2777 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:31:52 AM »
« edited: July 03, 2011, 05:46:21 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Statement from Tmthforu94

We'll give this a go...

I'll be announcing my new pick for the Supreme Court. Despite what the conspirators think, I'm not looking to appoint someone who I think will side with me, I'm looking for someone who I think will be active, fair, and have integrity in his position.

I hereby appoint Oakvale to the vacant spot on the Supreme Court.

Simultaneously, I'd also like to nominate Ebowed to the position of Chief Justice.

Should Yankee or a majority of the Senate not feel comfortable giving these gentlemen a fair hearing solely because of the person nominating them, my only hope is that President-elect Polnut see's in them the same qualities that I do.

Rules on Confirmation hearings can be found here. Senators may question the nominee.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »

Brings in giant 1940's style spotlight

Okay Mack, start talking!!! Tongue

End of Humphrey Bogart impression
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »

While I know some Senators are bound and determined to deny anything I try to do, I only ask the Senate to judge the merits of the person being nominated, not the nominator. If you guys can't do that, I have good faith that Polnut will be able to also make a fair, non-partisan selection.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »

I am, of course, honored to be considered for the Court, and thank the President for this nomination. Smiley

If confirmed, I can only hope to acquit myself as well as the illustrious figures who've preceded me. I will answer all questions to the best of my ability, and hope I can provide an indication of how I'd rule as Associate Justice.

Again, thank you for the nomination, and I look forward to a grilling. Tongue

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »

Just from little old outsider me:

One of my concerns would be that, without Sam Spade, there's not actually a procedure-focused workhouse type of guy on the court. The type of guy that will spend a long time looking things up on the statute, or writing court opinions that are a a full post-limit long. Are you actually going to take this job very seriously, or end up writing opinions that are a paragraph long, or something?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:11:55 PM »

I too, share interest in Marokai's question. The depth and detail of decisions is critical to ensure that full intent of the law is lived up to and all decisions are as strong and well respected as they in fact need to be.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »

I echo my colleagues. How can we be ensured you'll be a big part of the court versus a go along? Will you be able to fulfill this position with the strength and vigor Sam had? Will you use snide remarks to insult people?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:36:41 AM »

One of my concerns would be that, without Sam Spade, there's not actually a procedure-focused workhouse type of guy on the court. The type of guy that will spend a long time looking things up on the statute, or writing court opinions that are a a full post-limit long. Are you actually going to take this job very seriously, or end up writing opinions that are a paragraph long, or something?

Nobody knows Atlasian law better than Ebowed. Just because there haven't been any major cases recently doesn't change that.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:49:41 AM »

Nobody knows Atlasian law better than Ebowed. Just because there haven't been any major cases recently doesn't change that.

In case this carries over to the next legislative session, I will vote in favor of this nominee despite his nomination by a tainted President. I know Senator Oakvale well and I have the utmost faith in his ability to be both reasonable and impartial. Likewise, I shall echo Senator bgwah's statements regarding Justice Ebowed as he has been preisdent for more than two terms, a longtime Senator, and Vice President. He is plenty able and experienced for the Chief Justice position.

Senator Oakvale may not have the long record of service that Justice Ebowed has, but my confidence in his knowledge of Atlasian law is strong. Senator Oakvale will make a first class Associate Justice.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:04:42 AM »

That's nice and all guys but that has nothing to do with the question. Are you literally trying to make the argument "Let's confirm him because someone else can do the heavy lifting!"? This is a pretty serious position and losing Sam Spade is a fairly significant blow to the verbosity of the court. This thread isn't about Ebowed, it's about Oakvale.

I swear sometimes I'm the only one that actually considers confirmation hearings as a chance to actually ask questions. You can lay down the sugary sweet praise later. (Sheesh, when I wanted to be on the Court I had to fill out a huge form sent to me from Lief, who was President at the time.)

I just have some questions about some important or controversial court cases, wanting to know your opinion of the conclusion and so on:

Atlasia v. Southeast

UNEPSE v. Northeast Region

SPC v. Atlasia

Peter v. Atlasia

I'd also like to know your opinion on having a strict "standing" requirement to sue over certain laws. Sam Spade was a big proponent of such a thing, but it was eventually discarded after Opebo and I ruled it was a silly extra hoop to jump through. What are your thoughts?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:17:10 AM »

That's nice and all guys but that has nothing to do with the question. Are you literally trying to make the argument "Let's confirm him because someone else can do the heavy lifting!"? This is a pretty serious position and losing Sam Spade is a fairly significant blow to the verbosity of the court. This thread isn't about Ebowed, it's about Oakvale.

I swear sometimes I'm the only one that actually considers confirmation hearings as a chance to actually ask questions. You can lay down the sugary sweet praise later. (Sheesh, when I wanted to be on the Court I had to fill out a huge form sent to me from Lief, who was President at the time.)

I just have some questions about some important or controversial court cases, wanting to know your opinion of the conclusion and so on:

Atlasia v. Southeast

UNEPSE v. Northeast Region

SPC v. Atlasia

Peter v. Atlasia

I'd also like to know your opinion on having a strict "standing" requirement to sue over certain laws. Sam Spade was a big proponent of such a thing, but it was eventually discarded after Opebo and I ruled it was a silly extra hoop to jump through. What are your thoughts?

I was merely pointing out that you are severely misinformed regarding the current make-up of the court.

And why are you questioning the nominee? I could have sworn you lost.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:18:37 AM »

I hate to be making waves once again, but what legal experience do you have? I'm honestly clueless here. Were you AG once?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 01:19:15 AM »

Plenty of people are free to ask questions and comment in Senate stuff, Bgwah. Happens routinely. (Besides, if some in the Senate actually aren't going to ask the tough questions and seriously debate themselves, someone's gotta say something.)

I was just kind of put off by the fact that you seem downright hostile to the idea of actually asking someone serious questions in their confirmation thread.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 01:22:10 AM »

Plenty of people are free to ask questions and comment in Senate stuff, Bgwah. Happens routinely. (Besides, if some in the Senate actually aren't going to ask the tough questions and seriously debate themselves, someone's gotta say something.)

I was just kind of put off by the fact that you seem downright hostile to the idea of actually asking someone serious questions in their confirmation thread.

I'm fine with some comments from non-Senators, and always have been. But questioning the nominee? With, what, five questions requiring very specific and detailed answers? I don't think you're in a position to do that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 01:25:23 AM »

I'd hate for the armed guards to carry Marokai off the senate floor again!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 01:27:29 AM »

If someone's going to be on the Court they're going to have to deal with this stuff. If they can't handle a few questions then they shouldn't have the job. It's what these threads are actually designed for. If people are actually so stubborn and full of themselves that they're willing to just ignore perfectly legitimate questions purely for the sake of personal grudges, that is their (and everyone else's) loss.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 01:31:51 AM »

If someone's going to be on the Court they're going to have to deal with this stuff. If they can't handle a few questions then they shouldn't have the job. It's what these threads are actually designed for. If people are actually so stubborn and full of themselves that they're willing to just ignore perfectly legitimate questions purely for the sake of personal grudges, that is their (and everyone else's) loss.

These threads are designed for Senators to question and vote on the nominee.

But perhaps you're right---as Justice, Oakvale may indeed have to deal with a certain fellow jumping into court case threads where he does not belong. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 01:34:06 AM »

I plan on grilling oakvale like a fine piece of meat. I'm just starting off small and working my way up.

Marokai does have legit questions. If it does bother the senators, he's welcome to relay them to me and I'll ask them for him. Wink
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 02:13:24 AM »

I have an issue with the nature of your questioning. With retrospect and public opinion in mind, any answers related to previously ruled cases will be meaningless. I would advise the nominee not to answer any questions aimed at using wedge issues to distract from the spirit of this confirmation hearing. We should be deciding whether or not his record shows good judgment, not focusing on silly questions that are unfit for such a determination of character.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 06:04:49 AM »

I'm disappointed in the President's choices.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 08:12:02 AM »

Once again, another confirmation hearing dies because far too many people do not have the same understanding of what a legitimate question is and thus prefer not to ask for fear of insulting one another. This surely is one hell of a game. We treat each other like trash for the most part and then at times like these we can't even have a thorough hearing because nobody has the same criteria for acceptable questioning. Good heavens!!!

Its just like when Ebowed was confirmed as an Associate Justice, I asked what he thought comprised the best qualities of judge and I was accused of creating a litmus test. HOW THE HELL IS THAT LITMUS TEST? I asked about what makes a good judge and people act like I asked him about abortion or something. Folks if we can't even ask a nominee what qualities define a good judge (such as fairness, knowledge of the law, depth, etc). How can we even think to have a good hearing? Why don't we just skip directly to the damn vote and turned these into the same damn popularity contest everything else is.

A Litmus test is defined answer to a question that determines whether or not a person gets their vote. Usually it concerns a defined issue. Asking an open ended question with multiple answers is not so, can never be so. It is our job to judge these people based on a criteria of some kind. If you guys can't do that, then you should consider a different job.

Now, people can ask the nominee whatever questions they want as long as it is relevant, the judge can determine how to answer them and the 10 Senator should then vote based with quality of the responses, as well as other things, in mind when they vote.  If you disagree with the question being ask then that is perfectly fine, state your opinion and move on with your own questions then. But don’t create an argument with the person you disagree with simply because his ideas of proper questioning don’t comport with your own ideas of it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »

I have an issue with the nature of your questioning. With retrospect and public opinion in mind, any answers related to previously ruled cases will be meaningless. I would advise the nominee not to answer any questions aimed at using wedge issues to distract from the spirit of this confirmation hearing. We should be deciding whether or not his record shows good judgment, not focusing on silly questions that are unfit for such a determination of character.

And just how would deciding such be done appropriately then, if past cases can't be opined on?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:54 AM »

I've got no problem opining on past cases, and I'm perfectly happy to address Marokai's concerns. If it's okay, I'll respond en masse to the questions so far later today, I'll just be away from the computer for a few hours from now. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That will be fine, we have until Thursday morning, before an injunction is needed. We might need an injunction anyway since I beleive Ebowed's needs to finish first, though it may not matter. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »

I'll just start/or end this vote after Ebowed's, that will solve the problem.  I should I have started the elevated Justice's thread first, which is what was done in 2009. It didn't cross my mind however, so I did them in the order in which the President listed them.

Sam Spade - Elevation from AJ to CJ
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=106405
Began: December 10, 2009, 12:46:58 am
Ended: December 11, 2009, 07:15:53 pm

Marokai - AJ
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=106406
Began: December 10, 2009, 12:47:39 am
Ended: December 11, 2009, 07:16:20 pm  
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length