Confirmation Hearing: Oakvale for Associate Justice (Confirmed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:34:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Oakvale for Associate Justice (Confirmed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Oakvale for Associate Justice (Confirmed)  (Read 2829 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: June 27, 2011, 07:31:52 AM »
« edited: July 03, 2011, 05:46:21 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Statement from Tmthforu94

We'll give this a go...

I'll be announcing my new pick for the Supreme Court. Despite what the conspirators think, I'm not looking to appoint someone who I think will side with me, I'm looking for someone who I think will be active, fair, and have integrity in his position.

I hereby appoint Oakvale to the vacant spot on the Supreme Court.

Simultaneously, I'd also like to nominate Ebowed to the position of Chief Justice.

Should Yankee or a majority of the Senate not feel comfortable giving these gentlemen a fair hearing solely because of the person nominating them, my only hope is that President-elect Polnut see's in them the same qualities that I do.

Rules on Confirmation hearings can be found here. Senators may question the nominee.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »

Brings in giant 1940's style spotlight

Okay Mack, start talking!!! Tongue

End of Humphrey Bogart impression
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:11:55 PM »

I too, share interest in Marokai's question. The depth and detail of decisions is critical to ensure that full intent of the law is lived up to and all decisions are as strong and well respected as they in fact need to be.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:12:02 AM »

Once again, another confirmation hearing dies because far too many people do not have the same understanding of what a legitimate question is and thus prefer not to ask for fear of insulting one another. This surely is one hell of a game. We treat each other like trash for the most part and then at times like these we can't even have a thorough hearing because nobody has the same criteria for acceptable questioning. Good heavens!!!

Its just like when Ebowed was confirmed as an Associate Justice, I asked what he thought comprised the best qualities of judge and I was accused of creating a litmus test. HOW THE HELL IS THAT LITMUS TEST? I asked about what makes a good judge and people act like I asked him about abortion or something. Folks if we can't even ask a nominee what qualities define a good judge (such as fairness, knowledge of the law, depth, etc). How can we even think to have a good hearing? Why don't we just skip directly to the damn vote and turned these into the same damn popularity contest everything else is.

A Litmus test is defined answer to a question that determines whether or not a person gets their vote. Usually it concerns a defined issue. Asking an open ended question with multiple answers is not so, can never be so. It is our job to judge these people based on a criteria of some kind. If you guys can't do that, then you should consider a different job.

Now, people can ask the nominee whatever questions they want as long as it is relevant, the judge can determine how to answer them and the 10 Senator should then vote based with quality of the responses, as well as other things, in mind when they vote.  If you disagree with the question being ask then that is perfectly fine, state your opinion and move on with your own questions then. But don’t create an argument with the person you disagree with simply because his ideas of proper questioning don’t comport with your own ideas of it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »

If someone's going to be on the Court they're going to have to deal with this stuff. If they can't handle a few questions then they shouldn't have the job. It's what these threads are actually designed for. If people are actually so stubborn and full of themselves that they're willing to just ignore perfectly legitimate questions purely for the sake of personal grudges, that is their (and everyone else's) loss.

I have an issue with the nature of your questioning. With retrospect and public opinion in mind, any answers related to previously ruled cases will be meaningless. I would advise the nominee not to answer any questions aimed at using wedge issues to distract from the spirit of this confirmation hearing. We should be deciding whether or not his record shows good judgment, not focusing on silly questions that are unfit for such a determination of character.

And just how would deciding such be done appropriately then, if past cases can't be opined on?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That will be fine, we have until Thursday morning, before an injunction is needed. We might need an injunction anyway since I beleive Ebowed's needs to finish first, though it may not matter. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »

I'll just start/or end this vote after Ebowed's, that will solve the problem.  I should I have started the elevated Justice's thread first, which is what was done in 2009. It didn't cross my mind however, so I did them in the order in which the President listed them.

Sam Spade - Elevation from AJ to CJ
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=106405
Began: December 10, 2009, 12:46:58 am
Ended: December 11, 2009, 07:15:53 pm

Marokai - AJ
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=106406
Began: December 10, 2009, 12:47:39 am
Ended: December 11, 2009, 07:16:20 pm  
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »

Yes. I understand what the honorable Senator-elect is saying. Though, I must once again state the people's opinions on what counts as an inappropriate wedge issue may differ. I for one thought Marokai's question, regarding the nominee's stance on the relevance of a plaintiff's "standing" in whether or not a case should be considered, to be perfectly reasonable and legitimate.

hmm, I thought we were promised a response by now. We might just have to use an injunction afterall if none are provided by end of time tomorrow morning. Such requires a second as well.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 06:42:06 AM »

Due to the lack of response and the soon to be expiration of debate time, I hereby motion for an injunction to extend debate time for 48 hours beyond the current deadline.

This motion requires a second by a sitting Senator. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 06:54:07 AM »

The motion is adopted, debate time has been extended.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 07:38:04 AM »

tick tick tick tick............................

Well time is up on this so I'll go ahead and open the final vote on confirmation under my authority as Dean, with no PPT or sworn Veep.

Senators, final confirmation is now at vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 05:45:24 AM »

You know, Happy, it is a little late to be rethinking your reelection plans. Tongue

Final vote on confirmation of Senator Oakvale to the position of Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.

Aye (9): AHDuke99, Antonio V, bgwah, Fuzzybigfoot, Napoleon, NC Yankee, Oakvale (bye bye Sad), shua, and Snowguy716
Nay (0):
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (1): Officepark

The Senator has been confirmed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies