Please shut up about LBJ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:44:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Please shut up about LBJ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Please shut up about LBJ  (Read 9460 times)
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2004, 11:16:22 PM »

Well king of, except for attrition (i know is no excuse) the South would have dominated even after lee's blunders at gettysburg
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2004, 11:17:49 PM »

Boy have we gone off topic.... ill try to fix it

johnson sucked
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2004, 11:19:19 PM »

Well king of, except for attrition (i know is no excuse) the South would have dominated even after lee's blunders at gettysburg

Had Jackson not died the South would have won. End of story
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2004, 11:20:46 PM »

The only way the South wins is to change public opinion over the war in the North.  It almost happened. The North was just too industrialized for the South to keep up. 
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2004, 11:25:27 PM »

yeah kodratos, thats probably true, although i think longstreet was just as good as jackson
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2004, 11:46:56 PM »

Johnson had a great domestic record, a twisted personality, and a bad foreign policy.  A mixed bag, really.

And the south lost the Civil War because they lacked the materiel to beat Grant and were out of position to beat Sherman.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2004, 11:49:40 PM »

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes and yes

good show ford
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2004, 12:42:24 AM »

Johnson had a great domestic record, a twisted personality, and a bad foreign policy.  A mixed bag, really.

And the south lost the Civil War because they lacked the materiel to beat Grant and were out of position to beat Sherman.

Wrong. They DID have enough materials to beat the south. That fact has been proven. What failed for the south was the transportation system to deliver the goods to the armies. Plain and simple, the railroads lost the war for the south.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2004, 12:46:20 AM »

What's important is:

1. The South deserved to lose

2. Lincoln deserved to be shot

Both happened.
qwerty
ghwbush
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2004, 12:58:15 AM »

He was an awfull President, but I hold LBJ in high regard.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2004, 01:06:51 AM »

What's important is:

1. The South deserved to lose

Wrong

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Right
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2004, 02:09:36 AM »

Philip i hope to god ur not a virginia native, cos ud have people spinning in their graves right now
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2004, 03:40:00 AM »

To turn this thread slightly back to the topic at hand: was anyone really going on and on about the merits of LBJ in the first place?  I recall most recently seeing his name at the bottom of many people's presidential rankings.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2004, 04:13:41 AM »

About 4 people here like LBJ. I am one of them.
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2004, 10:17:55 AM »

About 4 people here like LBJ. I am one of them.

I am another one. I think he was a good President. Without him, the Civil Rights legislation and other important stuff would not have happened. Was he controversial? yes. Would he fit the modern standards of 'political correctness'? no, but yet, those were other times.
I think that the best definition of him is the one given by one of his biographers, historian Robert Dalleck: 'Flawed Giant"
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2004, 10:27:44 AM »

I'm one of LBJ's few fans on the Forum.

I am too, he was a social progressive

Dave

Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2004, 10:29:06 AM »

It is interesting to read how woefully uninformed people are these days.  I tend to blame it on the school system that no longer teaches history, only revisionist history.

The civil war was not about slavery.  If it had been, the North would not have had slavery before the Civil War.  The Emancipation Proclamation (issued Jan 1, 1963) only freed slaves in the Southern States, it did not address slaves in the North.  Read the document.  The slaves in the North, yes Northernors had slaves, were not freed until after the war.  

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2004, 10:37:19 AM »

Philip i hope to god ur not a virginia native, cos ud have people spinning in their graves right now

It's got me foaming at the mouth!

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2004, 10:52:39 AM »

It is interesting to read how woefully uninformed people are these days.  I tend to blame it on the school system that no longer teaches history, only revisionist history.

The civil war was not about slavery.  If it had been, the North would not have had slavery before the Civil War.  The Emancipation Proclamation (issued Jan 1, 1963) only freed slaves in the Southern States, it did not address slaves in the North.  Read the document.  The slaves in the North, yes Northernors had slaves, were not freed until after the war.  

I suspect that the Civil War had less to do with emancipation and more to do with providing a source of cheap labour for the North's growing industries. A place where, unlike Dixie, industrialists had no moral obligation to provide for their workers beyond paying them a pittance. In comparison, planters had a moral obligation to provide food and shelter for their slaves

Whether this is fact or fallacy, I'm far from certain, but the story has it that my ancestors never so much as raised a hand to their slaves. They were essentially benevolent paternalists

I make no secret of my antipathy towards the GOP and much of it stems from the Civil War and Reconstruction

I'm an ancestral Democrat and proud of it!

Dave
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2004, 10:54:13 AM »

Hawk, you said you had much antipathy for the republicans because of the civil war, well you seem to be missing somthing big (or im misunderstanding you) it is of course the republicans today that stand for southern ideals

(yes by god I would have been a democrat in 1860)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2004, 12:30:48 PM »

I wonder who has worse spelling, TJN2024 or John.

Oh and the Confederates were a bunch of stupid traitor dogs who deserved to be wiped out, and LBJ was a Kennedy-killing bastard. I've made my view on that rather clear.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2004, 12:34:55 PM »

Everyone knows LBJ was involved in Kennedy's assassination. Personally I think he was taking orders, not giving them, but either way he was instrumental.

We would know more if Earl Warren hadn't also been involved, but people at the time were able to narrow it down to about 3 possibilities. Most likely it was feared Kennedy could lose and his comrades were displeased with his overall performance.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2004, 12:55:16 PM »

Johnson was a VERY BAD President (one of the worst).

Theodore H. White summed up Johnson's view of the world quite aptly when he noted that Johnson believed 'there ain't no problem that government cann't solve.'

See, The Making of the President, 1964.

The problem is that higher taxes, more bureaucrats, more regulations, less freedom was his panacea for everything.

The toxins he planted in the body politic have been causing turmoil for decades.

He was a crook, and first 'won' nomination as U.S. Senator is a rigged election.

Nixon (another bad President) was able to get elected because once the country became familiar with Johnson, it made Nixon look not as bad!

P.S. - One of reasons Kennedy gets such high favorability ratings is that people look as Johnson and then Kennedy, and Kennedy (a mediocre President) suddenly looks very good by comparison.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2004, 01:46:56 PM »

It is interesting to read how woefully uninformed people are these days.  I tend to blame it on the school system that no longer teaches history, only revisionist history.

The civil war was not about slavery.  If it had been, the North would not have had slavery before the Civil War.  The Emancipation Proclamation (issued Jan 1, 1963) only freed slaves in the Southern States, it did not address slaves in the North.  Read the document.  The slaves in the North, yes Northernors had slaves, were not freed until after the war. 

I suspect that the Civil War had less to do with emancipation and more to do with providing a source of cheap labour for the North's growing industries. A place where, unlike Dixie, industrialists had no moral obligation to provide for their workers beyond paying them a pittance. In comparison, planters had a moral obligation to provide food and shelter for their slaves

Whether this is fact or fallacy, I'm far from certain, but the story has it that my ancestors never so much as raised a hand to their slaves. They were essentially benevolent paternalists

I make no secret of my antipathy towards the GOP and much of it stems from the Civil War and Reconstruction

I'm an ancestral Democrat and proud of it!

Dave

You've hit the nail on the head.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2004, 02:20:49 PM »

I'll give LBJ one good point, he worked very well with Congress. He got more stuff passed through Congress than any President in U.S. History.

Someone said of LBJ's bill passing, "Bills were flying out of Congress like candy bars out of vending machines."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies