FL-PPP: Scott stinks to high heaven
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:15:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-PPP: Scott stinks to high heaven
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: FL-PPP: Scott stinks to high heaven  (Read 8755 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »

Taft's wasn't particularly unpopular in 2004, so the comparison is weak at best.

Taft had a 6.5% approval rating in November of 2005. I'm willing to bet he wasn't about 35% a year before that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »

Taft's wasn't particularly unpopular in 2004, so the comparison is weak at best.

Taft had a 6.5% approval rating in November of 2005. I'm willing to bet he wasn't about 35% a year before that.

I did a Google search and couldn't find anything from before his ethics charges from which the number you quote stems from. If memory serves though, I believe he was hovering close to 50% mark around then. Not sure though. I certainly don't recall it being in the mid-30's a year before though.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/03/04/loc_taft04.html

State Democratic Chairman Dennis White said the numbers show Ohioans have lost confidence in their governor and are angry about the state's finances. That could hurt Republicans at all levels in 2004, including President Bush, who needs to win Ohio.

"You've had the voters in Ohio filled with lies for the last two years," White said. "I think they'll take it out on all the Republicans."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24824-2004Aug22.html

Taft said he is close to former president George H.W. Bush and graduated from Yale five years ahead of the current president. He is a pragmatic moderate in the old style of Ohio Republicans, but this understated style has not kept him out of trouble in recent years. His approval rating last year sank to 40 percent or lower; in an Ohio Poll earlier this year it had inched back up to 47 percent -- still not good enough to make him much of a drawing card on Bush's behalf.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »

State Democratic Chairman Dennis White said the numbers show Ohioans have lost confidence in their governor and are angry about the state's finances. That could hurt Republicans at all levels in 2004, including President Bush, who needs to win Ohio.

"You've had the voters in Ohio filled with lies for the last two years," White said. "I think they'll take it out on all the Republicans."

Taft said he is close to former president George H.W. Bush and graduated from Yale five years ahead of the current president. He is a pragmatic moderate in the old style of Ohio Republicans, but this understated style has not kept him out of trouble in recent years. His approval rating last year sank to 40 percent or lower; in an Ohio Poll earlier this year it had inched back up to 47 percent -- still not good enough to make him much of a drawing card on Bush's behalf.

Whatever terms you entered for your search worked better than mine. Wink

So in August 04 Taft was reported to be at 47% approval "earlier that year". Sounds about right, IIRC. Again, Phil, to my memoryTaft only became notably unpopular (and then downright toxic) after 04. So the analogy doesn't hold.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »

Whatever terms you entered for your search worked better than mine. Wink

So in August 04 Taft was reported to be at 47% approval "earlier that year". Sounds about right, IIRC. Again, Phil, to my memoryTaft only became notably unpopular (and then downright toxic) after 04. So the analogy doesn't hold.

The article said that he had a 47% approval rating in August of 2004. Who knows how low it could have gotten by the time the campaign heated up? It had to have plummeted even lower pretty quickly if he was in the single digits by late 2005.

And this thread - https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=6077.0 - leads me to believe that he was pretty damn unpopular in the middle of 2004.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 06:16:03 AM »

Another poll out by a GOP company shows Scott below 30%:

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Rick Scott is doing as Governor?

27% Approve
58% Disapprove

"The one difference between Scott and Corbett is that Scott has alienated more in his own party, since GOP voters give him only a 48-34 approval rating, while a solid majority of Pennsylvania Republicans still approve of Corbett," Lee reported. Florida's Democrats and independents disapprove of Scott’s job by 83-7 and 59-21 margins, respectively.

http://sunshinestatenews.com/story/gov-rick-scott-tough-road-reform
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 06:21:57 AM »

I wasn't around in 2004 but I vaguely remember that Taft became REALLY unpopular during autumn 2005 when the Coingate scandal erupted and some of his closest advisers were indicted for fraud. I don't remember Taft's popularity (or lack thereof) to be a major campaign issue during the 2004 presidential race.

Even so, 2004 was one of those rare elections where Ohio was less Republican than the country at large, so maybe Taft was already starting to drag down with him the entire party.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011, 06:37:04 AM »

Ah yeah, Bob Taft, I remember this guy. Here´s the monthly SurveyUSA tracker for him:

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollTrack.aspx?g=18f2a510-9587-44b7-95e2-f0137b64d865

Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »

I'm with Phil on this one. The popularity of Governors is very weakly correlated with presidential performance, if at all.

I know of only one heavy-weight pundit supporting this theory. He has a reputation for pushing controversial theories such as the major air-hub theory though.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »

This somewhat pertains to Scott, but a recent Sunshine State News poll found that Crist's favorable rating is 40, while his unfavorable rating is 33. Which is surprisingly higher than Marco Rubio's 38-34 favorable/unfavorable rating.

In some other Charlie news:

Crist is being honored by the league of woman voters today for his accomplishments in restoring felon voting rights. It's a fundraiser for the group.

Also, Crist is featured in new ads from Morgan & Morgan(law firm he works for) thanking teachers and policemen for their service.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies