Statement from the Union Party Chairman on the Deletion of Hermit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:31:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Statement from the Union Party Chairman on the Deletion of Hermit
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Statement from the Union Party Chairman on the Deletion of Hermit  (Read 998 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2004, 10:03:14 PM »
« edited: December 10, 2004, 10:07:35 PM by htmldon »

Friends,

I am overwhelmed with grief that our candidate for Senate, Hermit, has deleted himself from the forum.   We have missed out on the service of a truly great Atlasian and for that we are truly sorry.  It is also an especially sad moment for our Party as we have lost our brightest hope for elected office in this early moment in our Party's history.

Fortunately, there is another candidate in this race that is equipped to provide the same caliber of leadership that Hermit would have offered.  That candidate is WMS, and I only regret voting so early so that I could not have made him my first preference.

I do want to thank Reaganfan, Dubya, and others for making Hermit their first and second preferences.  Your confidence and loyalty is greatly appreciated.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 10:07:03 PM »

While I do not wish to involve myself in your party's internal affairs, I am curious as to why you would support WMS when you seemed to strongly object to Nation in his Presidential candidacy. Nation and WMS have nearly the same political compass scores, and are (or were at the time, Nation has since moved slightly left) both in the same quadrant (just barely in the Populist quadrant). Was there perhaps something other than mere issue positions that led you to object to Nation?

I guess I'm just curious.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 10:08:26 PM »

There's a very simple explanation to this, and it doesn't take too many words to spit it out: the political compass sucks.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 10:09:32 PM »

There's a very simple explanation to this, and it doesn't take too many words to spit it out: the political compass sucks.

Perhaps, but if I'm not mistaken, Nation's populism was one of the reasons for Htmldon's objections to him, and the Compass, despite its flaws, has often been used by the UAC and other parties as a basic measuring stick of ideology.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 10:15:55 PM »

Huh?  I didn't "strongly object" to Nation's candidacy and I made him my second preference.

I wasn't thrilled with the circumstances of the election, but that's life.

While I do not wish to involve myself in your party's internal affairs, I am curious as to why you would support WMS when you seemed to strongly object to Nation in his Presidential candidacy. Nation and WMS have nearly the same political compass scores, and are (or were at the time, Nation has since moved slightly left) both in the same quadrant (just barely in the Populist quadrant). Was there perhaps something other than mere issue positions that led you to object to Nation?

I guess I'm just curious.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 11:55:57 PM »

I thought Don's objection to Nation was that Don was on the bottom of the opposing Presidential ticket.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 06:08:05 AM »

What happens to my vote?
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 06:48:24 AM »

One of two things:
1.  It will count for Hermit, and if he wins, he will not be able to serve, and a special election will be held.
2.  Because Hermit is not a user, he cannot recieve votes and all his votes will be treated as if they were for an imaginary candidate
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 02:34:44 PM »

Please do not refer to me as "on the bottom" of Hughento. Smiley

I thought Don's objection to Nation was that Don was on the bottom of the opposing Presidential ticket.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 02:35:46 PM »

One of two things:
1. It will count for Hermit, and if he wins, he will not be able to serve, and a special election will be held.
2. Because Hermit is not a user, he cannot recieve votes and all his votes will be treated as if they were for an imaginary candidate

I would support option 2. His votes should automatically default to the 2nd preference.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 07:13:59 PM »

Friends,

I am overwhelmed with grief that our candidate for Senate, Hermit, has deleted himself from the forum.   We have missed out on the service of a truly great Atlasian and for that we are truly sorry.  It is also an especially sad moment for our Party as we have lost our brightest hope for elected office in this early moment in our Party's history.

Fortunately, there is another candidate in this race that is equipped to provide the same caliber of leadership that Hermit would have offered.  That candidate is WMS, and I only regret voting so early so that I could not have made him my first preference.

I do want to thank Reaganfan, Dubya, and others for making Hermit their first and second preferences.  Your confidence and loyalty is greatly appreciated.

I would like to thank the Constitutional Union Party and its founder, htmldon, for their words of support! I was sorry to see Hermit vanish, and support any investigation into the reason for it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 08:02:18 PM »

Please do not refer to me as "on the bottom" of Hughento. Smiley

Good times, thems was.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2004, 10:39:28 AM »

One of two things:
1. It will count for Hermit, and if he wins, he will not be able to serve, and a special election will be held.
2. Because Hermit is not a user, he cannot recieve votes and all his votes will be treated as if they were for an imaginary candidate

I would support option 2. His votes should automatically default to the 2nd preference.
There is established precedent on the course to follow.
A vote by Ernest in another SE Senate race IIRC.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2004, 11:01:14 AM »

Votes for Hermit count as votes for Hermit.  If Hermit is elected, he is unable to serve, and a special election must be held.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies