Geithner: 14th says govt cant default; Redstate: Time to impeach Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:21:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Geithner: 14th says govt cant default; Redstate: Time to impeach Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Geithner: 14th says govt cant default; Redstate: Time to impeach Obama  (Read 3587 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/30/tim-geithner-14th-amendment_n_887925.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »

I'm actually surprised why it took so long for an administration to state something that obvious.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »

Bring it on. I'd love to see them go through a bogus impeachment trial.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »

Ok Obama, time to finally play hardball with the Republicans. If they don't want to acknowledge that they are only 1/2 of one branch of the federal government then so be it.

Considering Obama's speech a few days ago on the subject I wouldn't be suprised if he has started using this option in an attempt to leverage the Republicans. Though honestly they may be smart enough to call the bluff because while I want Obama to go through with such a maneuver I don't think he has the balls to.
Lulz
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »

I was thinking about this the other day.  If I were Obama I would just keep paying the already incurred debts of the United States.  I would tell the House Republicans to F' themselves.  I mean what are they going to do?  Impeach the president for making good on all our legally binding contracts?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »

If Obama were to try and incur debt above the debt ceiling, he should be impeached.  Any such debt would not be authorized by law, which is what the 14th Amendment refers to.

However, if the 14th is interpreted as a supremacy of the public debt clause, then it appears Obama would be obligated to impound funds from other appropriations to pay the interest and principle of the public debt, and in the absence of any guidance from Congress as what gets impounded first, he'd get to choose what gets cut.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »

The Democrats and Obama shouldn't risk it, why make things even more messy than it already is.
Lulz
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »

The Democrats and Obama shouldn't risk it, why make things even more messy than it already is.

Well if the choice is defaulting or rubbing 1/2 of 1/3 of the government the wrong way... you know what my vote is Cheesy
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »

Well if the choice is defaulting or rubbing 1/2 of 1/3 of the government the wrong way... you know what my vote is Cheesy

No I don't know.  Why should I know the views of a supposedly brand new poster, even if you have racked up 41 posts on your first day?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »

Boehner would never bring an impeachment to the floor.  He was kicked out of House Leadership the first time during the Clinton trial and such memories brings tears to his eyes.
t_host1

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2011, 11:26:52 PM by t_host1 »

I doubt Republicans would bring up impeachment charges. They would more likely breathe a side of relief. Sweeps another issue they're afraid to take on under the rug.

Odds are better on a Obama resignation than impeachment. Intentional default by anyone will draw fire - why anyone would want to? don't know, there are assertions & actuation's...  I haven't seen anyone saying 'yep! that's the solution". ahh, I did hear Dennis Miller say "screw everybody we ain't pay'n"
Treasury will have to act, its just by what interest, who's rule & standards will it choose. ?'d principles currently being used by the Obama Adm. have come to a deadend.  the y 4 a resignation is most likely.

I just seen the treasury resignation post, the major fold is at its tipping point.

exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 11:34:21 PM »

Thats cute.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 11:39:26 PM »

Boehner would never bring an impeachment to the floor.  He was kicked out of House Leadership the first time during the Clinton trial and such memories brings tears to his eyes.

Is there anything that doesn't bring tears to that man's eyes? Can we get him some Paxil please? I'm sure mental health is covered under the gov't healthcare he enjoys but refuses to share with the rest of us.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 11:55:35 PM »

The key problem will be phrase "authorized by law."  There will be litigation, which has the potential of destroying the credit markets due to uncertainty.
t_host1

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »

yeah... stunning, to the point of being paralyzed.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 11:57:43 PM »

Is there anything that doesn't bring tears to that man's eyes? Can we get him some Paxil please? I'm sure mental health is covered under the gov't healthcare he enjoys but refuses to share with the rest of us.

Did he cry recently because he seemed to be doing better after his breakdown on election night.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 01:17:38 AM »

The intolerance of some on the Left for those who fail to live up to their standards of machismo is astounding.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 01:39:22 AM »

So the upshot is the Geithner/Obama view is that Obama can unilaterally defund things in order to pay the interest on the debt if the ceiling isn't raised, because the Constitution forbids questioning the debt?

I can't decide if I'm  or .
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 01:51:42 AM »

The intolerance of some on the Left for those who fail to live up to their standards of machismo is astounding.

.......considering how restricted gender roles under 'traditional family values' tend to get, I'm sorry, but I find this statement hilarious.
t_host1

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 07:31:59 AM »

So the upshot is the Geithner/Obama view is that Obama can unilaterally defund things in order to pay the interest on the debt if the ceiling isn't raised, because the Constitution forbids questioning the debt?

I can't decide if I'm  or .

well... first, the view of Geithner/Obama is subject to interpretation - second, unilateral governing is the Obama norm and as for as the constitution - it is the Obama's obstacle, citing it, is a diversion.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 08:41:34 AM »

It has nothing to do with politics or gender. It's wholly unprofessional and the frequency of his little breakdowns suggests a real chemical imbalance. Frankly, it'd be much worse for a woman. Can you even imagine the mocking if Nancy Pelosi were to cry on demand at every interview?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »

The default thing is really a red herring.  As bonds mature, you just replace them with new ones, which does not increase the debt level. So you only have interest carry, and with the US debt so short term these days, and really low short term interest rates, that it is no big deal to meet that obligation (for the moment).  But you will have to slash about 35% of spending to balance the cash flow.  It just might be an interesting exercise to just do it, and see what happens. We may be going in that direction (massive spending cuts) anyway, once interest rates bounce up.  It is odd that more politicians have not rung that alarm bell.  That is the real elephant in the room, yet it seems almost invisible despite its size. 
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »

Hmmm, not raising the debt ceiling in this light seems such a good experimental idea, it's a wonder the Pubbie-controlled Congress never tried it under the last big-spender president.  Smiley 

But, anyway, Geithner and the gang really shouldn't be circling the wagons about the 14th Amendment.  It seems that, when politicians don't want to negotiate, hollow threats from everyone are the second-to-last item on the menu.  The last item features two alternatives; short-term patches with meaningless long-term targets that nobody will honor, or landing the plane abruptly on its nose.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 02:30:02 PM »

... once interest rates bounce up.

That won't be happening for a very, very long time. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 02:31:31 PM »

... once interest rates bounce up.

That won't be happening for a very, very long time. 

Well one of us will be proven wrong I guess. I hope it's me!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies