Bandit is writing a book! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 09:07:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Bandit is writing a book! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bandit is writing a book!  (Read 2394 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« on: December 14, 2004, 02:28:42 AM »
« edited: December 14, 2004, 02:30:44 AM by Senator Nym90 »

Hey Beef, when did you become a Democrat from Montana?

My economic views have always been very centrist, and the Republicans have way too much... how shall I say it? Baggage.

The 2004 election is over, and the correct outcome occurred. The situation abroad required keeping GWB as president. Now that that's all squared away, I have found myself looking at our own country. And I don't like what I see. Economic opportunity is abysmal for about 75% of Americans, and the behavior of Corporate America has become downright reprehensible.

I would like to see the Democrats adopt a moderate pro-life stance on abortion, and with the ascendency of people like Harry Reid, that is becoming more of a reality. The Democrats are a much better home for Pro-Lifers than they were 10 years ago.

The Democrats need to rediscover their mission: that of being the party of the Little Guy, the worker, the farmer, the underdog. It needs to leave behind the outdated radical social agendas of the 90s and become a political umbrella that both minority inner-city dwellers and "flyover-country" working-poor megachurch Christians can embrace. I want to help make this happen, in whatever small ways I am capable of.

Wow. Awesome post, Beef! I couldn't possibly agree more, well with the exception of the vote for Bush, but hey, as you say, that's in the past. Time to move on.

Welcome to the party. I hope you can have a positive change. It's nice to see someone see the light about what's happening in America with the economy these days. I greatly respect your vote for Bush and your reasons for it. I can see where you were coming from. But I'm happy to have you on board.

You are EXACTLY the kind of person the Democrats need....this brightens my day just a little. There is hope after all.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 10:25:48 AM »

I would like to see the Democrats adopt a moderate pro-life stance on abortion, and with the ascendency of people like Harry Reid, that is becoming more of a reality.  The Democrats are a much better home for Pro-Lifers than they were 10 years ago.

This is pointless - is it preferable to loose the votes of the 40% of the country that is pro-choice and gain a couple of precent of the religious vote? I think, and hope, that the Democratic party will be holding firm on abortion rights, simply because it makes electoral sense.

I don't think the Dems would lose all of the pro-choice voters. Assuming that the GOP was still pro-life, the pro-choice voters might stay home and not vote, but the great majority still would vote Democratic even if they weren't happy with the abortion position.

The reality is that those who are pro-life are much much more likely to refuse under any circumstances whatsoever to vote for a candidate who is pro-choice, even if that person agrees with them on every other issue. Those who are pro-choice are more willing to support a pro-life candidate as long as they like most of the rest of what they have to say.

So while the country is split down the middle, with actually slightly more people being pro-choice than pro-life, it is politically advantageous to be pro-life.

Gun control is another issue that fits this. About 70% of Americans oppose the NRA's position on gun control, and generally favor it, but there are very few people who are so pro-gun control that they would refuse to ever support an NRA backed candidate. There are lots of NRA members who would never under any circumstances whatsoever support a candidate who didn't have the NRA endorsement.

So again, most people are pro-gun control, but politically, it's better for a candidate to be anti-gun control.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies