Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 01, 2015, 02:11:46 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Most Conservative Congressional Democrats Post-WWII
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Most Conservative Congressional Democrats Post-WWII  (Read 353 times)
RFayette

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.35

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:35:16 pm »
Ignore

I remember reading about a John Birch Society President (Larry McDonald) somehow being a Democratic congressman.  I was wondering if there were other Democrats in the House or Senate that were further right than at least 1/2 of the GOP.  Who were the other ultra-conservative members of the Democratic caucus?

Also, how do such members progress through the ranks?  Since they vote against the party so much, are they relegated to junk committee memberships?

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.” Goldwater
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 08:05:46 pm »
Ignore

James Eastland, I believe, was more conservative than much of the GOP--he chaired the Judiciary Committee from 1956-1978.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
vivaportugalhabs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.25, S: -1.13

P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:53:45 pm »
Ignore

Walt Minnick from Idaho. He has the distinction (baggage) of being one of the very very very few Democrats endorsed by Tea Party groups.

So my candidates got crushed in the midterms... On to Canada for 2015. GO NDP!!
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:54:05 am »
Ignore

Minnick and even Eastland were much less conservative then John Rarick (1966-1974) from Louisiana or Bob Stump (1976-1981, then switched to Republican party..) from Arizona. Or even such Democrats as Phil Gramm (1978-1983, then switched to Republican party) from Texas or David Satterfield (1960-1980) from Virginia. Rather good sorted (by liberalism/conservatism) list of members of Congress for years 1937 - 2002 is here:

http://voteview.com/Is_John_Kerry_A_Liberal.htm

By standards of the past Minnick and Bobby Bright are nothing more then slightly "right-of-center Democrats"...

But no one could really compare with Larry McDonald - he was a "unique"...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:56:01 am by smoltchanov »Logged

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48. Like to collect bans on partisan sites (4-5 on DKE (+ SSP) and on RRH).
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:14:38 am »
Ignore

Harry Byrd Sr. and Howard Smith have to be on the list.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:25:03 am »
Ignore

Harry Byrd Sr. and Howard Smith have to be on the list.

They were undoubtely very conservative, but, according to data i saw, slightly less then those i mentioned. May be - because both began to serve in 1930th, and most of the Southern Democrats really turned much more conservative in 1940th at least....

James  Haley from Florida, John Bell Williams (Mississippi), William Tuck (Virginia), and, of course, South Carolina's pair: Albert Watson and Strom Thurmond, are also good examples of real conservatives.. Not what's called "conservadems" today...

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48. Like to collect bans on partisan sites (4-5 on DKE (+ SSP) and on RRH).
rob in cal
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 05:00:21 pm »
Ignore

Smoltchanov, great link.  Intresting that Ron Paul is considered most conservative.  Was wondering where Clare Hoffman would end up (called for a negotiated end to World War Two in 1943, so he kind of stood out), and he was pretty near by, as was Warren Buffet's dad.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:52:10 pm »
Ignore

Ken Lucas has to be one of the most conservative.

Try this wonderful POPULIST BLOG...

http://onlinelunchpail.blogspot.com
RFayette

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.35

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:54:30 pm »
Ignore

Not at all, his DW-nominate of  0.004 is more liberal than almost all GOPers.

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.” Goldwater
Pacific Speaker Türkisblau
H_Wallace
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 11:22:47 pm »
Ignore

Many of the southern Democrats were very conservative and were given chairmanships and high ranks by leadership so as to avoid a rebellion in addition to what eventually happened which is most either retiring or switching parties.

Carpetbagger
CELTICEMPIRE
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 11:38:45 pm »
Ignore

Larry McDonald

I'll put a new signature in later.
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:32:54 am »
Ignore

Not at all - he is uncomparable with those i mentioned. Many younger people simply don't understand what really conservative Democrats were like, and use this term for anyone whose voting record is at least somewhat different from dominating liberal orthodoxy. Most of modern "conservadems" would be considered either moderate or even "slightly liberal" only 30-35 years ago. And the above mentioned Rarick or Stump were, probably, to the right of Huckabee (i don't even say anything for Larry McDonald who was to the right of ALL 1937 - 2002 Republicans, but Ron Paul). THAT was really conservative. And now - there are probably no such Democrats even on local level (the same is generally true for liberal Republicans)

IDS Speaker Maxwell
mah519
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -6.98

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 01:43:36 am »
Ignore

Larry McDonald

smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:43:46 am »
Ignore

Many of the southern Democrats were very conservative and were given chairmanships and high ranks by leadership so as to avoid a rebellion in addition to what eventually happened which is most either retiring or switching parties.

And naturally so. Most of conservative Democrats of the past supported New Deal at least initially, and FDR surely knew that he will be utterly unable to govern as effectively as he did if he would raise racial (and some other) issues. Truman did  - and "the Great realignment" began (initially slowly, but...). Which is almost over now....

But with more people calling himself "conservative" then "liberal" and extremely high concentration of more liberal people in major urban areas (as a result - considerable part of liberal votes is, essentially, wasted in House elections - you don't need 90+% districts to win them reliably) Republicans have major advantage in district-based elections. Even if we omit turnout problem here..

smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:45:13 am »
Ignore

Larry was an exception (and, probably, THE only one) even then. Let's talk about someone else...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout