Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 11:28:42 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Who will win in Louisiana?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: ?
Mary Landrieu (D)   -20 (33.3%)
Bill Cassidy (R)   -40 (66.7%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Who will win in Louisiana?  (Read 593 times)
TDAS04
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2014, 06:55:11 pm »
Ignore

Will Landrieu survive this time?

Economic:  -2.45
Social:  -6.26
Never
Never Convinced
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:56:01 pm »
Ignore

Cassidy will probably win. A runoff is all but assured to occur in December in Louisiana, and a likely decline in turnout in the runoff would likely damage a Democrat like Landrieu more than Cassidy. Combine that with the distinct Republican lean of this state, and Landrieu is going to have a lot of trouble hanging on to her seat. She still has a chance, but I feel that it is a small one at this point.

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. - Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)

"Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures; there is a hole, an empty place, and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen." - Peggy Noonan
Horus
Sheliak5
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.51, S: -9.21

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:13:10 pm »
Ignore

Cassidy, and it will be by more than we all expect.
MW Speaker LeBron FitzGerald
adamobawesomebiberg
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:19:21 pm »
Ignore

This is the race I'm most unsure about out of all of them, but I'm tilting towards Landrieu because she does have two opportunities to win technically as opposed to Cassidy's one chance if he can get Landrieu to a runoff.

To Cassidy's advantage, most undecided's give both Obama and Landrieu very low approval ratings and will likely vote for Cassidy or Hollis which, combined with the fact that there's perennial Democrat on the ballot who might get 2% of Landrieu's vote, Landrieu will probably be sent to a runoff. In the runoff though, she's survived two runoffs before and I think she can definitely pull it off again.

Economic: -7.16
Social: -2.87

RIP Gunny Sad

Cuyahoga County is #KeepingClevelandStrong! Issue 7 (sin tax) extends by a 56-44 margin! Cheesy

Welcome back LeBron!

Speaker SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:32:06 pm »
Ignore

Cassidy. Landrieu's luck has finally run out.

Bernie Sanders 2016!

Howie Hawkins for Governor!

bore   you're doing the lord's work swe
Obsessing over me won't help you get the dictatorship of the proletariat.
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 09:36:31 pm »
Ignore

Cassidy. Or at least, the paths Landrieu took to victory in 1996, 2002, and 2008 are all closed and to win she will have to think of something completely new -- which looks doubtful.
OC
olawakandi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:49:02 pm »
Ignore

Landrieu will win this race. Her bro Mitch has excellent approvals in New Orleans which her base African Americans may have no trouble GOTV.

In 2002, they still couldnt win the runoff with a popular prez. Nate Silver just predicted a 51-49 senate with Landrieu, Hagen and Begich winning.
Dixiecrat
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Lebanon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:09:55 pm »
Ignore

As it is right now, I consider the race Leans Republican, but I can easily see it going the other way if Landrieu pulls a Thad Cochran.

I'm about as ready for Hilldawg as I am for a prostate exam done by a homeless man behind a 7-11.
Del Tachi
Republican95
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 12:59:34 am »
Ignore

Since the LA race will be heading to a runoff, a lot depends on how Senate composition looks on Wednesday morning.  It's a strong possibility that Louisiana is the 51st seat for Republicans (a 50-49 Republican edge being the case after Election Day, assuming no other runoffs) which, if that is the case, Landrieu will lose something like 45-55 in the runoff.

I hope she and Pryor do "pull a Thad Cochran" and somehow win their races, but it's a lot easier for moderate Republicans to build last minute Black support than it would be for moderate Democrats to create a last minute coalition including conservative Whites in 2014.  Nevertheless, I like the campaign Mary is running and I'm hoping we can somehow send her and Pryor back to the senate while still having a GOP majority.

Dixiecrat
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Lebanon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:52:04 am »
Ignore

Since the LA race will be heading to a runoff, a lot depends on how Senate composition looks on Wednesday morning.  It's a strong possibility that Louisiana is the 51st seat for Republicans (a 50-49 Republican edge being the case after Election Day, assuming no other runoffs) which, if that is the case, Landrieu will lose something like 45-55 in the runoff.

I hope she and Pryor do "pull a Thad Cochran" and somehow win their races, but it's a lot easier for moderate Republicans to build last minute Black support than it would be for moderate Democrats to create a last minute coalition including conservative Whites in 2014.  Nevertheless, I like the campaign Mary is running and I'm hoping we can somehow send her and Pryor back to the senate while still having a GOP majority.

If it goes to a runoff which determines control of the senate, the race moves to Likely Republican. I agree with you, in a perfect world Republicans take control of the senate while Landrieu and Pryor keep their seats.

I'm about as ready for Hilldawg as I am for a prostate exam done by a homeless man behind a 7-11.
Del Tachi
Republican95
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 12:03:30 pm »
Ignore

If it goes to a runoff which determines control of the senate, the race moves to Likely Republican. I agree with you, in a perfect world Republicans take control of the senate while Landrieu and Pryor keep their seats.

Which, actually isn't that far removed of a scenario.  To do this the GOP would have to win SD, MT and WV as well as NC and AK with at least one win between CO, IA, MI, NH or VA.  That can certainly be done given the national environment, but Louisiana and Arkansas are likely to "come along for the ride" in the event of a good GOP year. 

bronz4141
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 08:54:48 pm »
Ignore

I see Landrieu pulling a small victory, but right now it leads Cassidy.
CapoteMonster
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.23, S: -6.61

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 04:26:56 pm »
Ignore

Landrieu will win this race. Her bro Mitch has excellent approvals in New Orleans which her base African Americans may have no trouble GOTV.

In 2002, they still couldnt win the runoff with a popular prez. Nate Silver just predicted a 51-49 senate with Landrieu, Hagen and Begich winning.

Lol Obama won over 80% of the vote in New Orleans and still got crushed in Louisiana. Landrieu also has a approval rating under 40% statewide.

I'm surrounded by people who I'm scared will be voting in a few years.
NHLiberal

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 06:13:55 pm »
Ignore

Nate Silver just predicted a 51-49 senate with Landrieu, Hagen and Begich winning.

Link?

Basically with Hillary vs. the GOP field, you're picking between spending the summer living with the shrill aunt who isn't much fun at all or the uncle whose hand always gets a little too close to your privates whenever you're around him.  No matter how much fun he claims you're going to have reforming government together just you and him, the aunt has the edge.
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 11:06:15 am »
Ignore

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce will reportedly support Landrieu.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/chamber-of-commerce-mary-landrieu
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout