Cuomo replacing Biden in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:38:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Cuomo replacing Biden in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Cuomo replacing Biden in 2012?  (Read 4421 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »

God forbid...

http://gothamist.com/2011/07/04/now_andrew_cuomo_for_2012_vp_rumors.php

I've believed for awhile now that Biden will be replaced as Obama's running mate to spice things up. Biden doesn't bring anything anymore (though, to be fair, a sitting Vice President rarely does) and Obama might need to bring some more excitement on the ticket.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:09:42 PM »

This would lose Obama my vote, if it weren't a ridiculous rumor that will never happen.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »

He's not going to replace Biden, that would be ridiculous.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »

Cuomo doesn't want to be dragged down by Obama even more in 2016.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »

If anything, Biden remains a plus in some way. He speaks "human".
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »

The one thing about Biden as VP that's very useful to Obama is that he is such a veteran of the Hill; he knows how to conduct legislative negotiations and he knows, so to speak, where all the bones are buried.  I don't know anybody else among the Dems who could offer Obama as much as Biden does on this ground.  I used the think, for some time, that Obama might consider replacing Biden on the ticket to spice up the reelection campaign.  I have come to doubt that such a ploy would work anyway.  If anything, at this point, if Biden were to leave in addition to the long trail of the economic team plus Gates, I think it would hurt Obama more than it would help.  Electorally, Biden still probably helps with Pennsylvania, and the fact that Pennsylvania is sure to be a more closely contested state in '12 than it was in '08 makes keeping the current VP sensible for Obama there too.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 02:51:01 PM »

He's not going to replace Biden, that would be ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? There wouldn't be a backlash and he doesn't bring much to the table anymore anyway.

The one thing about Biden as VP that's very useful to Obama is that he is such a veteran of the Hill; he knows how to conduct legislative negotiations and he knows, so to speak, where all the bones are buried. 

Knows how to conduct legislative negotiations? That doesn't seem to be the case these days...
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 02:52:23 PM »

As Joe Biden might say, this is the stupidest idea in the history of political speculation, literally.  How is Obama supposed to explain calling Biden as VP the single, best decision he's ever made and then replacing him?  And why would Obama, who is being careful not to explicitly endorse gay marriage until after he's re-elected, put Cuomo on the ticket and put himself more on the spot?  And why would Biden who has expressed interest in 2016 and has obviously noticed Cuomo's recent buzz step aside for him?  I realize everyone wants to gin up suspense in a race where there isn't all that much.  The guy who's quoted in that article should be tossed off Niagara Falls for wasting everyone's time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »

And why would Biden who has expressed interest in 2016 and has obviously noticed Cuomo's recent buzz step aside for him?  

Uh, what? When did Biden ever seriously express interest in 2016? Biden has to know that he'd get his ass kicked up and down throughout the primaries.

Plus, Biden could very well want to step aside as Vice President and angle for the job he has wanted all along: Secretary of State.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »

Why would Cuomo want to take a far less powerful job than the one he has now?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »

As Joe Biden might say, this is the stupidest idea in the history of political speculation, literally.  How is Obama supposed to explain calling Biden as VP the single, best decision he's ever made and then replacing him?  And why would Obama, who is being careful not to explicitly endorse gay marriage until after he's re-elected, put Cuomo on the ticket and put himself more on the spot?  And why would Biden who has expressed interest in 2016 and has obviously noticed Cuomo's recent buzz step aside for him?  I realize everyone wants to gin up suspense in a race where there isn't all that much.  The guy who's quoted in that article should be tossed off Niagara Falls for wasting everyone's time.

No.  Then my Father has to respond, or if he gets stuck, he has to do this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5PRiHL_Ic

anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »

Knows how to conduct legislative negotiations? That doesn't seem to be the case these days...

Not caving on every item on Eric Cantor's Christmas list doesn't necessarily make one a bad negotiator.  In a recent interview, Alan Simpson, who has repeatedly and rightly derided Obama for throwing fuel on the fire through his public statements during the negotiations, said at the same time of Biden: "thank God for Joe Biden, if he can't get this done, nobody can."  So, I guess Biden still has some respect among old GOP hands on the Hill.  If anything, that credit helps Obama, and I don't know why he would trade Biden out as VP to make him Secretary of State.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 03:07:44 PM »

Why would Cuomo want to step down from one of the most powerful political offices in the nation, to potentionally get the chance of maybe being Obama's shadow for four years? That would seem rather stupid to me.

Besides Vice Presidents don't get the boot unless they royally screw up. Quayle didn't bring anything to Bush in 92, if he wasn't replaced as running mate, Biden is fine.    

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I remember reading once that Obama asked Biden to choose between becoming VP and SoS. If that was the job he really wanted he'd have that job right now.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »

No.  Then my Father has to respond, or if he gets stuck, he has to do this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5PRiHL_Ic

That was crazy.  Unbelievable. And the title of the youtube video had a Bidenesque "literally" in it.  Perfect selection.

Biden told donors to keep him in mind for 2016 just a few weeks ago.  He's presumably sort of uneasy about all this Cuomo 2016 buzz in the past week.  I don't know how he'd fare in 2016 primaries but if he wasn't deterred from running against Hillary and Obama in 2008, I doubt he's now telling himself he has no chance so hey, why not give up the single best stepping stone for the gig?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »

There's no real reason for this and it doesn't make any sense.

If, IF, Obama was to replace Biden, which I don't believe is very likely at this point, I strongly believe he'd replace him with Hillary.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »

Besides Vice Presidents don't get the boot unless they royally screw up. Quayle didn't bring anything to Bush in 92, if he wasn't replaced as running mate, Biden is fine.

^^^^

If anything, firing Biden would make things worse for Obama, not better.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »

This.
Has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in awhile.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »

God forbid...

I've believed for awhile now that Biden will be replaced as Obama's running mate to spice things up. Biden doesn't bring anything anymore (though, to be fair, a sitting Vice President rarely does) and Obama might need to bring some more excitement on the ticket.

But this would be risky as well. Changing a sitting Vice President cuz "the other one is hotter" is a cofusing signal for the voters.
milhouse24
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »

I would go with catholic and female McKaskill
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »

Such a move would smack of desperation. The only chance is if they could sell the notion that Biden wants to be SecState more than VP (which may be true)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »

God forbid...

But this would be risky as well. Changing a sitting Vice President cuz "the other one is hotter" is a cofusing signal for the voters.

Obama obviously wouldn't use that as a reason though; he'd use the Secretary of State angle. It's not like Biden would be losing anything by going with that plan. If Obama loses, he doesn't have anything anyway.

Not caving on every item on Eric Cantor's Christmas list doesn't necessarily make one a bad negotiator.  In a recent interview, Alan Simpson, who has repeatedly and rightly derided Obama for throwing fuel on the fire through his public statements during the negotiations, said at the same time of Biden: "thank God for Joe Biden, if he can't get this done, nobody can."  So, I guess Biden still has some respect among old GOP hands on the Hill.

Your talking points aside, the negotiations still weren't a success. Not necessarily blaming Biden but he can't point to GOP "obstructionism" as a victory of his.

P.S. - Alan Simpson isn't "on the Hill" anymore.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »

God forbid...

Obama obviously wouldn't use that as a reason though; he'd use the Secretary of State angle. It's not like Biden would be losing anything by going with that plan. If Obama loses, he doesn't have anything anyway.

True, but unless Biden is going to make clear why is he stepping down (health, other opportunities), dumping him would still be risky.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 06:52:51 PM »

I agree with Lief, if such a dumb move were to happen, I would be voting Republican if nothing else than for the stupidity of such decision by both Obama and Cuomo.  Right now, I'm planning to vote for President Obama next year, but if this were to happen it would negate that vote.  It won't matter in such a deep red state like Oklahoma, but it's the principle of the matter.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »

I agree with Lief, if such a dumb move were to happen, I would be voting Republican if nothing else than for the stupidity of such decision by both Obama and Cuomo.  Right now, I'm planning to vote for President Obama next year, but if this were to happen it would negate that vote.  It won't matter in such a deep red state like Oklahoma, but it's the principle of the matter.

You'll be voting depending on who is in the lead in the final Gallup poll, my friend. Let's be honest.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies