1976 Election.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:16:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 Election.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976 Election.  (Read 1266 times)
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »
« edited: July 09, 2011, 11:02:46 PM by Liberalrocks »

If the 1976 election had just one more week....Would Ford have overtaken Carter for a victory? I believe he would have and as a Liberal Democrat I would have voted for the moderate Ford. Just 25 more electoral votes likely coming from Ohio which he lost by a whisker and Wisconsin which was also close. A number of other states were close as well Mississippi and Texas....

Rest in Peace Betty and Jerry...
sg0508
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:15:54 AM »

I've started a thread on this in the past.  Ford had all the Momentum at the end and there was a dramatic movement in the polls in the final weeks, which helped to close the final Carter margin.  McCarthy also hurt Carter substantially and stole wins in OR, ME, IA and a few other states. 

The Playboy deal also hurt Carter.  What shocked me is that MS was actually very tight in the south.  Of all southern states, Ford was viable in MS and he only won VA in the upper south.

Amazing that after the DNC, the Democrats led by 33 pts (62-29%).  The Eastern Europe comment in the 2nd debate didn't seem to hurt much in terms of the polls though.

OH, WI, MS, HI and MO was the election.  Dole was also a VERY POOR choice for VP, which he had no choice of really because of the brutal primary against the conservative Reagan.  While people don't vote for VP, Nelson Rockefeller of NY would have been a far, far better choice.  In the end, Dole may have helped Ford to hold a few states like OK, SD, MT and NM, but those states don't mean s..t.  NY and PA were very winnable.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 12:18:41 AM »

Don't underestimate the Dole element, which proved nothing short of disastrous for Ford and the McCarthy element, which made the final electoral count closer than what it would have been without him on the ballot.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

Ford would have won if the election would have been held days later actually. The polls numbers were edging Ford every day.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »

Gerald Ford would have won had it not been for his Soviets comment. Carter had his Playboy comment that hurted him but saying the Solvets didn't have control over Western Europe.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »

I've never understood how Ford could ever say such a silly thing about Eastern Europe. He must have been very confused. Grin
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »

As much as I DESPISE Nelson Rockefeller I have to confess that with him on the ticket I could see the Republicans winning states like Wisconsin and maybe even New York (which was and still is worth a hell of a lot of electoral votes) that they lost in real life.
So yeah, I agree with sg on that one.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »

As much as I DESPISE Nelson Rockefeller I have to confess that with him on the ticket I could see the Republicans winning states like Wisconsin and maybe even New York (which was and still is worth a hell of a lot of electoral votes) that they lost in real life.

I agree, Bob Dole's a good guy but he just should not be a national leader. He was great as a senator
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »

Not so sure about that one.

Even if that ticket could make it out of the convention, polls showed that as many as 25% of Republicans would not have supported a Ford/Rockefeller ticket. Granted, Rockefeller did step his game up in the 70's and even mended relations with Barry Goldwater, but I'm not certain that he'd be able to make up that deficit and win over enough independents to make up for it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies