Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:03:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Poll
Question: Who will win the Ames Straw Poll ?
Michele Bachmann

John Bolton

Herman Cain

Newt Gingrich

Rudy Giuliani

Jon Huntsman

Gary Johnson

Fred Karger

Andy Martin

Thaddeus McCotter

Jimmy McMillan

Roy Moore

Sarah Palin

George Pataki

Ron Paul

Tim Pawlenty

Rick Perry

Buddy Roemer

Mitt Romney

Rick Santorum

Other candidate (please post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 104

Author Topic: Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll  (Read 24627 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »

So it's the original, authentically Libertarian Tea Party candidate, vs the opportunistic, "Tea Party" ultra-right-wing reactionary Republican candidate?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2011, 07:11:35 PM »

WHERE'S BUDDY ROEMER?!!!!!111111111
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #277 on: August 13, 2011, 07:22:34 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2011, 07:27:20 PM by Joementum »

Funny Huffington Post.  Rand Paul stumping for dad at Ames warned without debt control US could see riots like England.  So they put on front page "Bachmann wins Straw Poll" and directly under that "Rand Paul Warns: US could see riots"

Huge double blow for Pawlenty.  Weak Ames and Perry gets in.  There goes his money.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #278 on: August 13, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »

So it's the original, authentically Libertarian Tea Party candidate, vs the opportunistic, "Tea Party" ultra-right-wing reactionary Republican candidate?
Yea, basically. You hit the nail on the head. I got heckled at the Trump rally for being a Paul supporter. Apparently, since were not pro Israel, were "Liberul".
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #279 on: August 13, 2011, 07:28:43 PM »

Funny Huffington Post.  Rand Paul stumping for dad at Ames warned without debt control US could see riots like England.  So they put on front page "Bachmann wins Straw Poll" and directly under that "Rand Paul Warns: US could see riots"

Huge double blow for Pawlenty.  Weak Ames and Perry gets in.  There goes his money.

It's intentional sensationalism.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #280 on: August 13, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2011, 09:05:45 PM by J. J. »

To some extent, yes.  However, look at what both candidates have in common.  Both are fiscal conservatives.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #281 on: August 13, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »

Here are some interesting pics from the straw poll:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2011/08/13/faces_of_ames.html

I like the line about Gingrich polling "better than expected".  He got 2%, which I guess is better than expected.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #282 on: August 13, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »

This should really be the end of Paul's campaign. If he can't win the straw poll despite having an ideal straw poll support distribution (a mile deep and a inch wide), he certainly can't win the caucus, and he has no organization anywhere but Iowa.

Also, Pawlenty continues to be a joke with no supporters.

Yes, he should drop out because he lost by a margin that is effectively a tie (0.84% behind, specifically).

I guess we will see how things go from here.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #283 on: August 13, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »

Less than 200 votes was the difference between the GOP actually having a real chance to reform itself or definitely maintain the status quo.

I will not be voting for any GOPer come the general election. If the GOP refuses to reform itself into this century, screw them. I'm sick of having to vote for their trash candidates. For a libertarian, I was previously fairly reliable GOP.

Just let me have this one post, guys. I'm extremely furious and even ashamed right now. I just got back from work, worrying about what was going to happen. I'm just so sick of the corruption in both parties.* I'm crushed, and I don't know what to think. Sad

*No, I'm not claiming anything was rigged in the poll.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #284 on: August 13, 2011, 10:33:20 PM »

Winners: Paul, Santorum
Losers: Pawlenty, Romney

Everyone else is a wash.  Including Perry.  ~700 votes for "the next big thing"?  I think it shows his weakness.
AUH2O Libertarian
Rookie

« Reply #285 on: August 13, 2011, 11:14:48 PM »

Winners: Paul, Santorum
Losers: Pawlenty, Romney

Everyone else is a wash.  Including Perry.  ~700 votes for "the next big thing"?  I think it shows his weakness.

I think Bachmann gained quite a bit simply by solidify herself as the Iowa frontrunner.

I do agree that I think Perry will wash out and fail to live up to expectations.  Like Huntsman, I think he'll turn out to be another media creation.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #286 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »

Ron Paul got screwed.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #287 on: August 13, 2011, 11:24:34 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2011, 10:43:54 AM by True Federalist »

Winners: Sanford, Santorum, Cain
Losers: Romney, Huntsman

Bachmann needed to place first, which she did, but since that was expected of her, it doesn't really help her.

Paul did what he needed, but not what he wanted, so this was neutral for him as well.

Pawlenty could be classed as a slight loser given the gap between him and the top two, but the gap between him and the next two is enough for this event to be counted as neutral.  Problem is his campaign needs something better than neutral.

Santorum and Cain have to be considered the big winners.  If ether of them had done poorly, their campaigns would be toast now, instead they've done well enough to ensure that will not be folding before the caucuses this winter.

Perry would have needed to do better as a write-in for this to be considered a win, but he did well enough, tho he still has a tough path to the nomination starting so late.

Coming in behind Perry as a write-in can only be classed as a loss for Romney.

Gingrich remains stuck in the back, but his campaign has been doing so poorly of late, this can't be seen as hurting him. Zombies feel no pain.

Huntsman is the big loser as he did worse than McCain did four years ago and he should just throw in the towel now.  Yes, John McCain came back from a 10th place finish at Ames to win the nomination, but Huntsman does not have the name recognition McCain did, nor is the GOP in the mood for a moderate maverick type.

Despite my earlier gaff in using his name instead of Santorum's, I think Sanford has to be considered a winner as well.  Hiking the Appalachian Trail is more enjoyable than going to the Iowa State Fair. Tongue

In short, the top seven from Ames are your Republican contenders, no others need to be bothered with.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #288 on: August 13, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »

I think a lot more people than Ron Paul got screwed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #289 on: August 13, 2011, 11:34:52 PM »

Sanford and Cain have to be considered the big winners.

Sanford wasn't there.  He was hiking the Appalachian Trail.

The biggest loser from this is Pawlenty, as he's spent millions of dollars on Iowa, including a decent share of his $ to specifically win the straw poll (more than any other candidate), and he only managed a distant third.

No one else is really a loser here.  (Well, maybe McCotter.)  It really doesn't matter how poorly folks like Romney or Huntsman did, because they didn't compete at the straw poll, and their campaigns aren't counting on a win in Iowa.

I suppose you could also say that Cain is a "loser" relative to the trajectory his campaign was on three months ago.  But relative to expectations as of yesterday, 9% is fine (though obviously not enough to give him a boost).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2011, 12:30:30 AM »

Just saw the results and after this Romney will probably not win the caucuses anymore.

Ron Paul did really well, as did Santorum - but both of them will not win either.

My money is now on Rick Perry, who will also win SC, FL and AZ.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:48 AM »

Less than 200 votes was the difference between the GOP actually having a real chance to reform itself or definitely maintain the status quo.

I will not be voting for any GOPer come the general election. If the GOP refuses to reform itself into this century, screw them. I'm sick of having to vote for their trash candidates. For a libertarian, I was previously fairly reliable GOP.

Just let me have this one post, guys. I'm extremely furious and even ashamed right now. I just got back from work, worrying about what was going to happen. I'm just so sick of the corruption in both parties.* I'm crushed, and I don't know what to think. Sad

*No, I'm not claiming anything was rigged in the poll.
Zarn, I don't understand why you are so ashamed.  Paul did well and so did Bachmann.  They are pretty close allies in congress and have a good relationship.  I don't think Bachmann is so establishment that she is poison to Paul voters.  She certainly doesn't have the creepy Bilderberg, CFR, Fed and wall street cabal connections that the other candidates do.  I would be pleased with either candidate.  I would prefer Paul, to Paul-lite, but Paul-lite is better than anything else we have to offer.  I would like to see her give a treasury secretary position to one of the Pauls if she wins (vp would be nice too).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2011, 12:43:41 AM »

I wasn't able to follow the vote that closely. I was checking for the results and recaps on my phone but that's about it. Ron Paul fans are shouting "conspiracy?" They truly have jumped the shark.

On another note, Ernest calling Santorum "Sanford" was amusing.  Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2011, 02:19:57 AM »

Announcer: "And the winner is... Michelle Bachmann!" *walks off stage* What's up with that?

Indeed. I stayed awake just to hear these results and all the announcer says "And the winner is ... Michelle Bachmann! Good night!"? At least they eventually displayed the figures of the other candidates as well, but I had expected a bit more tension. Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2011, 03:34:00 AM »

She will be our next president, gentlemen.  Get ready for it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #295 on: August 14, 2011, 03:38:17 AM »

I hope nobody is mistaking me, of all people, as a Ron Paul fan. I just call them as I see them and this "straw poll" smells a little fishy.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2011, 03:43:28 AM »

Ron Paul fans are shouting "conspiracy?" They truly have jumped the shark.

For Ron Paul supporters that doesn't sound at all unusual. Tongue
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #297 on: August 14, 2011, 04:08:51 AM »

She will be our next president, gentlemen.  Get ready for it.

What about Perry, opebo?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #298 on: August 14, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »

I hope nobody is mistaking me, of all people, as a Ron Paul fan. I just call them as I see them and this "straw poll" smells a little fishy.

Some singer (who I never heard about but apparently is really popular over there) played a concert for Bachmann. She would only let people that registered with her see the concert or even enter her little world. It goes outside the sportsmanship the other campaigns showed (A photo showed a Perry supporter trying to dunk Bernanke in a dunk tank at the Paul spot), but it is 'legal.'
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »

I wasn't able to follow the vote that closely. I was checking for the results and recaps on my phone but that's about it. Ron Paul fans are shouting "conspiracy?" They truly have jumped the shark.

On another note, Ernest calling Santorum "Sanford" was amusing.  Tongue

My goof.  However, I will say that I think Sanford has a better chance at being elected President someday than Santorum does. Wink  As I said in my editted post above, Sanford should be considered a winner too since he didn't have to be at the Iowa State Fair.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies