Confirmation Hearing: Marokai Blue for GM (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:11:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Marokai Blue for GM (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Marokai Blue for GM (Confirmed)  (Read 5955 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »

I normally don't intrude into Senate Voting, but has something happened?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

Never would I support or oppose something based on a perceived animosity. If you'd like to see this in practice, you can check out Marokai's confirmation thread.

I have no doubt you will be active in the position and you are certainly competent enough so I see no reason not to vote in favor.

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 11:18:50 PM »

Aye
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »

Never would I support or oppose something based on a perceived animosity. If you'd like to see this in practice, you can check out Marokai's confirmation thread.

I have no doubt you will be active in the position and you are certainly competent enough so I see no reason not to vote in favor.

this is the greatest failure I have seen in recent Atlasian history LOL
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 11:30:50 PM »

Yeah, this makes no sense.  Plus, he actually changed his vote from Aye to Nay.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 11:43:24 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 11:52:09 PM »

I have changed my mind regarding the ability of the nominee to serve in the position to the standards I believe we should aim for. This vote had nothing to do with personal animosity- I have an equally negative opinion of him now as I did when I cast an Aye vote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 11:53:07 PM »

This should get interesting...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 12:01:20 AM »

Aye!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 12:03:19 AM »

Senators are still able to change their votes on confirmation. It's one thing for people to come and express their thoughtful opinions and questions on things on the Senate floor. It's another thing to start mocking people here or make personal attacks. There's a rant thread in the elections board now. Find it and use it.

One of the great things about Badger and Yelnoc as GM is that they knew how to step back and not make enemies. I don't blame people who aren't able to do this, but it's something needed in a GM. Plus they were interested in budgets. I change my vote to Nay.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »

Senators are still able to change their votes on confirmation. It's one thing for people to come and express their thoughtful opinions and questions on things on the Senate floor. It's another thing to start mocking people here or make personal attacks. There's a rant thread in the elections board now. Find it and use it.

One of the great things about Badger and Yelnoc as GM is that they knew how to step back and not make enemies. I don't blame people who aren't able to do this, but it's something needed in a GM. Plus they were interested in budgets. I change my vote to Nay.

For heaven's sake, guys.

As a Game Moderator, my job is to create a narrative for the game to run on. To crunch numbers, provide interesting stories, create in-game news based on regional and national events, and to do so as fairly and interestingly as possible.

I never said I wasn't interested in budgets. I even made a promise to the Mideast to get their budget numbers to them as one of the first things I'm able to do as GM. None of that changed. My complaint about budgets is that they shouldn't get overly complicated so as to ruin other parts of this game. When the Game Moderator position was brought back into the fold, it was not used in that way. My fear is that it is bogged down by too many responsibilities, and I just want to make sure that doesn't happen.

I will assist anyone in any way that I can, but I don't want budgetary matters to cannibalize every other part of my time in my position as Game Moderator. But in no way does it diminish any of my capabilities, and it is unfair and untrue for anyone to pretend that it does. We've lacked a consistently active GM for nearly a year, and here I stand offering you consistent activity. If you're willing to turn that down before even giving me a chance to serve? Then that's a real shame for all of us.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 12:11:08 AM »

A shred of objectivity is necessary for your activity to be worthwhile.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 12:11:37 AM »

I did not mock, I want to know what happened to change his mind; clearly I thought it was something, and he said it was something, but he's not explained what. If there is a concern about a fellow cabinet member, then I, and all others in Atlasia, deserve to know what that concern is.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 12:14:50 AM »

I'm confident Marokai will do a fine job as GM. Throughout his career, he has proven to be a capable, hard working individual that does not use any sort of personal vendetta to torment those who he doesn't like.

We haven't really had a GM worth a damn in a while, so why we are booting Marokai would is beyond me. I trust none of you will come whining when the next less than interested person is confirmed and subsequently goes inactive.

For the rest of the senators, I hope the nominee is confirmed  unless there is some viable alternative. The position of GM isn't the most desirable, but when we have someone come along who is known to be active and competent, we'd be fools to tell him no thanks.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »

I'm not answering any questions until my questions from last night, though shua mentioned a couple points that factored in to my decision.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2011, 12:35:20 AM »

I'm fully capable of doing this job, guys, you all know that. I've promised to work on budgets, I've promised to be constantly active, and I've wanted to take a crack at this job for as long as I remember. To vote me down would be missing a great opportunity to finally have an active GM for a longer period than a handful of weeks or months. Please don't get sucked into partisan and personal silliness. No one can seriously stand here and question my ability to do this job.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 12:49:32 AM »

I did not mock, I want to know what happened to change his mind; clearly I thought it was something, and he said it was something, but he's not explained what. If there is a concern about a fellow cabinet member, then I, and all others in Atlasia, deserve to know what that concern is.

I know you did not mock Teddy. It is fine for you to ask questions. I was speaking of those who posted after you in response, and also alluding to the way Rowan was treated in his confirmation hearing.

Marokai, I know you'd have advantages as GM, but I see disadvantages as well. It's nothing personal, just a difference in terms of the approach I think a GM should take. Okay if you don't respect it, but that's my position.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 12:56:41 AM »

I respect your opinion, Shua, but my "disadvantages" are completely outside of my control. You know I'm able to do this job, probably better than anyone. None of this bickering affects any GM responsibilities. I don't understand what could possibly be done.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2011, 12:58:19 AM »

I respect the rights of the Senators to make this determination, but I maintain my full support for this nominee.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 04:23:19 AM »

That's getting sillier and sillier. What in the world happened to make you suddenly change your opinion about Marokai's qualification ? I think you ought some explanations.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2011, 06:18:32 AM »

Shua's objection regarding Marokai's alleged lack of interest in budgets is somewhat ironic, considering for the better part of 2010, Marokai criticized the diveristy of stories under PS, including such item as the "New Mexico disturbances", and showed a distinct preference for the hard data and information. Indeed, I would think one would want Marokai as GM if regional budgets were the primary consideration, as he would likely put more time into them and less into "A madman attacks such and such". If anything, MB's statements indicate a moderation in his view of the expansive nature of the input of the Game Moderator, rather than any sort of bias or preservation of personal views on the matter.

And Marokai does make a reasonable point that one set of GM responsibilities shouldn't cannabalize all others, hence the need for a really active, determined and motivated GM to be able to cover all the bases with quality information and news.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2011, 07:53:20 AM »

Aye
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 08:10:44 AM »

Little Hamilton talking out of both sides of his mouth again. What a surprise.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 08:15:26 AM »

Final Confirmation on fmr almost everything Marokai Blue, to be Game Moderator of Atlasia:

Aye (6): AHDuke99, Antonio V, fuzzybigfoot, NC Yankee, officepark and Snowguy716
Nay (2): Napoleon and Shua
Abstain (1): bgwah

The nominee has been confirmed.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »

Thank God.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »