Xahar might find that interesting ... (me too)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:48:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Xahar might find that interesting ... (me too)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Xahar might find that interesting ... (me too)  (Read 1307 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:11:08 AM »

Click on the link to get the final 2011 census results incl. a map with changes compared with 2001 and population density in each district:

http://www.citypopulation.de/Bangladesh-Mun.html

Dhaka and suburbs grew very fast, while Khulna lost quite a lot of residents. Any reason for this ?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:14:38 AM »

Here are the Urban Areas, which are bigger agglomerations:

http://www.citypopulation.de/Bangladesh-UA.html

(Bangladesh is basically one big city anyway ... Tongue)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:01:10 AM »

What's the Muslim take on the birth control pill? If ever there were a place that needed some contraception, it's Bangladesh.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:16:04 AM »

I forgot that if you want to see the population density and change compared with 2001, you have to click on "mode" above the map.

BTW, Bangladesh's growth rate is going down on a relative basis, but not in nominal terms. Each decade, still 20 million people are added. But the rate has gone down from about 2% a year to about 1.5% a year.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 02:37:23 AM »

Dhaka's growing at tremendous speed. When I was in Bangladesh last month, my parents were talking about how places that were well outside the city when they were young are part of the metropolis now; there's no sign that this trend is stopping. The whole country is flat, so there are no natural boundaries to the city's growth except wide rivers.

What's the Muslim take on the birth control pill? If ever there were a place that needed some contraception, it's Bangladesh.

I don't know how widely used it is, but birth control is permissible from a religious standpoint and legal. So is early-term abortion, for that matter, although it's officially referred to by the euphemism of "menstrual regulation".
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »

Bangladesh's fertility rate is actually somewhere between 2.5 and 2.8 and is pretty much the world average. That's much better than most Middle Eastern and African nations. The damage was done earlier and in any case that part of the world has always had a large population relative to the rest of the world. Flat, fertile land through which two of the world's biggest rivers flow into the ocean and no frost or freeze so agriculture continues year round.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:57:11 AM »

Xahar, from which part of Bangladesh are your parents originally from ?

And do you know anything about Khulna's decline in the past 10 years ?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:22:56 AM »

My maternal grandmother is from Feni; the rest of my family is from around Sylhet. My dad's family is actually from the border regions of the Barak Valley; I have relatives who still live in India. Both of my parents were raised in Dhaka.

I don't know anything about changes in Khulna offhand; I can try to find out.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:33:35 AM »

Bangladesh's fertility rate is actually somewhere between 2.5 and 2.8 and is pretty much the world average. That's much better than most Middle Eastern and African nations. The damage was done earlier and in any case that part of the world has always had a large population relative to the rest of the world. Flat, fertile land through which two of the world's biggest rivers flow into the ocean and no frost or freeze so agriculture continues year round.

Agree. Ever heard of the demographic transition model? I would say that Bangladesh is entering Stage 3 now.

Lowering of infant mortality rates ultimately lowers birth rates, but it takes a while.

This table might also be interesting.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 03:39:03 AM »

Agree. Ever heard of the demographic transition model? I would say that Bangladesh is entering Stage 3 now.

Lowering of infant mortality rates ultimately lowers birth rates, but it takes a while.

This table might also be interesting.

Yeah, definitely stage 3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Bangladesh#Vital_statistics
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »

(Bangladesh is basically one big city anyway ... Tongue)
No, it's one big rice paddy interrupted by large agrotowns every couple of miles. Plus some cities, of course.
Java, were it an independent country, has a similar population density. And Java has some remote mountain regions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies