News International. The Saga Continues...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:11:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  News International. The Saga Continues...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: News International. The Saga Continues...  (Read 17004 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »

I don't know much about this affair, but I feel people who are trying to make this a Labour vs Torie issue are missing the main point : ie the considerable influence a corporation (and thus, a man) can develop over one country's politics, to the points that every politician needs to make a "friend" of it (him) if he wants to have a political future. The parties aren't really the responsibles, in some way they're maybe the victims.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2011, 12:09:23 PM »

Labour certainly view themselves as such, and with reason.

Whether Tony Blair and Gordon Brown have as much reason to view themselves so (as Brown no doubt does) is a different matter.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2011, 12:29:45 PM »

Oh please. The only reason for anyone in Labour to pursue this issue at all is for partisan gain? You know that's not true; the small group of mostly Labour figures who (along with a couple of Grauniad hacks) had been going on about this for ages were not acting on orders from anyone higher up and had their own (personal for the most part) reasons for kicking up a fuss. It's a particularly unfortunate slur as its the one most often used by establishment-cynics to dismiss the story over the past couple of years.

Now, is the possibility of partisan gain a factor in the strident tone taken by the leadership since things blew up a few weeks ago? Sure; always is (and is never any different for other parties). The only factor? Almost certainly not. Is the possibility of partisan gain one reason why some Labour MPs/members/supporters/etc are enjoying this so much? Absolutely. Is it the only reason why any care? Absolutely not. You underestimate quite how much the Labour rank and file absolutely loathe Murdoch; the fact that a couple of Labour leaders in the recent past had a rather better relationship is irrelevant (this feeling is especially strong here; what was done to Kinnock has not been forgotten or forgiven) and may actually have strengthened the sentiment over time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »

The fact that a couple of Labour leaders in the recent past had a rather better relationship is irrelevant and may actually have strengthened the sentiment over time.
'specially as that relationship (perhaps, arguably, whatever) led to Murdoch influencing Labour policy ... in the sense of, preventing a Labour government from following Labour policies. And if Tony Blair outlasted his welcome as leader of the Labour Party partly thanks to the relationship with Murdoch...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »

I don't know much about this affair, but I feel people who are trying to make this a Labour vs Torie issue are missing the main point : ie the considerable influence a corporation (and thus, a man) can develop over one country's politics, to the points that every politician needs to make a "friend" of it (him) if he wants to have a political future. The parties aren't really the responsibles, in some way they're maybe the victims.

That's one of the biggest issues regarding Murdoch in general (and has been since the 1980s), though for now the main things wrt this scandal concern the relationship between the Police (specifically the Met) and the Murdoch Empire and on the way in which said Evil Empire has gone about getting stories for its papers. Absolutely political (because its about power and anything concerning power is political), but not so much in terms of Westminster. As far as that goes, mostly it's a series of sideshows; even the Coulson business is more a question of judgment on behalf of the PM than any question of the people in government being involved in the core of the scandal. Of course other things may yet come out, but we can only comment on what there's reason to suspect.
Foucaulf
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »

In the Grauniad, a Brit resigns himself to American coverage and complains about it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That article is basic, but the part about the Chinese media's reactions interested me. A quick search yields this article aggregating some Chinese views:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:16 PM »

The day I go to parliament and Murdoch gets a pie to the face. Result!
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2011, 03:45:34 PM by London Man »

This leaves Labour exposed. Cameron may be accused of not answering 'everything.' But Labour have answered nothing. The enquiries will not leave the period from 1997-2010 untouched. They had better be ready.

Perhaps. However, Tony Blair is no longer an MP and Gordon Brown is a backbencher. David Cameron hired Coulson after the scandal began - and he's still in office.

As for Miliband's two journalists; there are plenty of ex-News International journalists out there (Nick Ferrari for example) and the vast majority of them weren't involved in "phone hacking" - that sounds like an attempt at guilt by association. Of course, it probably isn't - I know you're better than that.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »

that sounds like an attempt at guilt by association. Of course, it probably isn't - I know you're better than that.

Actually, the very opposite concerns me. I don't believe in guilt by association...but Baldwin has been accused and was reported to the police over 'blagging'. That is the concern.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2011, 04:59:48 AM »

that sounds like an attempt at guilt by association. Of course, it probably isn't - I know you're better than that.

Actually, the very opposite concerns me. I don't believe in guilt by association...but Baldwin has been accused and was reported to the police over 'blagging'. That is the concern.

Thanks for the clarification.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2011, 11:14:27 AM »

Report on changes to newspaper sales (and future plans of NotW readers) here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/21/times-sales-phone-hacking-scandal
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2011, 01:40:17 PM »

oh my god

This cartoon ran in the Newscorp-owned Times of London

speechless.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »

Disgusting but entirely typical.

---

Anyway, James Murdoch may be in a little bit of trouble. You aren't supposed to get caught lying before Commons committees.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2011, 05:18:01 AM »

Lol... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5z4CJRFBKY
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2011, 11:15:58 AM »

Got a much nicer cartoon.

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »

It is typical of the US media that there are basically more stories about Rupert's feisty wife and her slap than the story.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »

It is typical of the US media that there are basically more stories about Rupert's feisty wife and her slap than the story.

Hot, angry women stories sell, patrick.  Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2011, 03:41:31 PM »

Bumping, just to note that matters have spread a little, though nothing seems to be as significant as what's already happened. Namely, fingers have been pointed at some ex-Mirror hacks (including Piers Moron himself) and we get to add Salmond to the list of party leaders who are perhaps a little too close to News International. As both of those things were kind of obvious anyway, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to post this.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »

Why is CNN standing behind Piers again?  Are his ratings that good?
Rollback
Rookie

« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2011, 09:07:48 AM »

Why is CNN standing behind Piers again?  Are his ratings that good?

His ratings have pretty much been mediocre. He isn't doing much better, if any better, than Larry King, certainly not beating Maddow or Hannity.

The Warlock did give him a period of saving grace for a little bit though during his interview.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2011, 12:56:48 PM »

Weird little twist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14431473
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »

urgh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14509375
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »

Boom: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/16/phone-hacking-now-reporter-letter
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:38 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtndOhSMpHs
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »

Murdoch's wife's said that Tony Blair's the Godfather of their daughter...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies