Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 03:16:11 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  News International. The Saga Continues...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: News International. The Saga Continues...  (Read 8178 times)
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2011, 10:36:10 am »
Ignore

I don't know much about this affair, but I feel people who are trying to make this a Labour vs Torie issue are missing the main point : ie the considerable influence a corporation (and thus, a man) can develop over one country's politics, to the points that every politician needs to make a "friend" of it (him) if he wants to have a political future. The parties aren't really the responsibles, in some way they're maybe the victims.

HashCAN     americans saw the EP elections and people cringing at Europeans being morons and electing Nazis; so they massively said "NO" and decided to prove that they're still bigger morons

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2011, 12:09:23 pm »
Ignore

Labour certainly view themselves as such, and with reason.

Whether Tony Blair and Gordon Brown have as much reason to view themselves so (as Brown no doubt does) is a different matter.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2011, 12:29:45 pm »
Ignore

Oh please. The only reason for anyone in Labour to pursue this issue at all is for partisan gain? You know that's not true; the small group of mostly Labour figures who (along with a couple of Grauniad hacks) had been going on about this for ages were not acting on orders from anyone higher up and had their own (personal for the most part) reasons for kicking up a fuss. It's a particularly unfortunate slur as its the one most often used by establishment-cynics to dismiss the story over the past couple of years.

Now, is the possibility of partisan gain a factor in the strident tone taken by the leadership since things blew up a few weeks ago? Sure; always is (and is never any different for other parties). The only factor? Almost certainly not. Is the possibility of partisan gain one reason why some Labour MPs/members/supporters/etc are enjoying this so much? Absolutely. Is it the only reason why any care? Absolutely not. You underestimate quite how much the Labour rank and file absolutely loathe Murdoch; the fact that a couple of Labour leaders in the recent past had a rather better relationship is irrelevant (this feeling is especially strong here; what was done to Kinnock has not been forgotten or forgiven) and may actually have strengthened the sentiment over time.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2011, 12:34:28 pm »
Ignore

The fact that a couple of Labour leaders in the recent past had a rather better relationship is irrelevant and may actually have strengthened the sentiment over time.
'specially as that relationship (perhaps, arguably, whatever) led to Murdoch influencing Labour policy ... in the sense of, preventing a Labour government from following Labour policies. And if Tony Blair outlasted his welcome as leader of the Labour Party partly thanks to the relationship with Murdoch...

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2011, 12:37:13 pm »
Ignore

I don't know much about this affair, but I feel people who are trying to make this a Labour vs Torie issue are missing the main point : ie the considerable influence a corporation (and thus, a man) can develop over one country's politics, to the points that every politician needs to make a "friend" of it (him) if he wants to have a political future. The parties aren't really the responsibles, in some way they're maybe the victims.

That's one of the biggest issues regarding Murdoch in general (and has been since the 1980s), though for now the main things wrt this scandal concern the relationship between the Police (specifically the Met) and the Murdoch Empire and on the way in which said Evil Empire has gone about getting stories for its papers. Absolutely political (because its about power and anything concerning power is political), but not so much in terms of Westminster. As far as that goes, mostly it's a series of sideshows; even the Coulson business is more a question of judgment on behalf of the PM than any question of the people in government being involved in the core of the scandal. Of course other things may yet come out, but we can only comment on what there's reason to suspect.

Foucaulf
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2011, 03:29:41 pm »
Ignore

In the Grauniad, a Brit resigns himself to American coverage and complains about it.

On CNN, Vanity Fair writer an obliging Brit Vicky Ward kept saying James did well and that Rupert's goal in Britain since the 60s has been to make the establishment much more accountable and transparent in the name of democracy.

Well, if you say so, Vicky. She also seemed to suggest that British voters had been happy to accept that the Daily Telegraph had paid for the stolen CD on MPs expenses in 2009 so why the fuss now, though she conceded that bribing police officers in "very, very bad".

That article is basic, but the part about the Chinese media's reactions interested me. A quick search yields this article aggregating some Chinese views:

Experts in Shanghai and Beijing believe this event exposes the western media's profiteering nature, and consequently the superficiality of its rhetoric on "freedom", "fairness" and "human rights".
[...]
Professor Wang Junchao of Tsinghua University's School of Journalism states that the West frequently uses "press freedom" as a defence while abusing the rights of others in order to manufacture its own conception of "freedom". The consequence is obviously the misuse of press freedoms. "Freedom of the press should not deflect intrusion to one's right to privacy by the media."

<bore> Reasons to doubt he was liftweights34:
<bore> 1. Most americans think the mods aren't telling the truth
<bore> 2. Benghazi
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »
Ignore

The day I go to parliament and Murdoch gets a pie to the face. Result!

London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2011, 03:38:59 pm »
Ignore

This leaves Labour exposed. Cameron may be accused of not answering 'everything.' But Labour have answered nothing. The enquiries will not leave the period from 1997-2010 untouched. They had better be ready.

Perhaps. However, Tony Blair is no longer an MP and Gordon Brown is a backbencher. David Cameron hired Coulson after the scandal began - and he's still in office.

As for Miliband's two journalists; there are plenty of ex-News International journalists out there (Nick Ferrari for example) and the vast majority of them weren't involved in "phone hacking" - that sounds like an attempt at guilt by association. Of course, it probably isn't - I know you're better than that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:45:34 pm by London Man »Logged

afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »

that sounds like an attempt at guilt by association. Of course, it probably isn't - I know you're better than that.

Actually, the very opposite concerns me. I don't believe in guilt by association...but Baldwin has been accused and was reported to the police over 'blagging'. That is the concern.
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2011, 04:59:48 am »
Ignore

that sounds like an attempt at guilt by association. Of course, it probably isn't - I know you're better than that.

Actually, the very opposite concerns me. I don't believe in guilt by association...but Baldwin has been accused and was reported to the police over 'blagging'. That is the concern.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2011, 11:14:27 am »
Ignore

Report on changes to newspaper sales (and future plans of NotW readers) here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/21/times-sales-phone-hacking-scandal

Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2011, 01:40:17 pm »
Ignore

oh my god

This cartoon ran in the Newscorp-owned Times of London

speechless.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2011, 01:44:14 pm »
Ignore

Disgusting but entirely typical.

---

Anyway, James Murdoch may be in a little bit of trouble. You aren't supposed to get caught lying before Commons committees.

Bro-mentum
tomm_86
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2011, 05:18:01 am »
Ignore

Lol... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5z4CJRFBKY

London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2011, 11:15:58 am »
Ignore

Got a much nicer cartoon.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2011, 11:51:09 am »
Ignore

It is typical of the US media that there are basically more stories about Rupert's feisty wife and her slap than the story.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
India
View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2011, 11:49:19 am »
Ignore

It is typical of the US media that there are basically more stories about Rupert's feisty wife and her slap than the story.

Hot, angry women stories sell, patrick.  Wink

Grumpy Santa's helpers.   Cheesy

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2011, 03:41:31 pm »
Ignore

Bumping, just to note that matters have spread a little, though nothing seems to be as significant as what's already happened. Namely, fingers have been pointed at some ex-Mirror hacks (including Piers Moron himself) and we get to add Salmond to the list of party leaders who are perhaps a little too close to News International. As both of those things were kind of obvious anyway, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to post this.

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
India
View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2011, 08:31:33 am »
Ignore

Why is CNN standing behind Piers again?  Are his ratings that good?

Rollback
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2011, 09:07:48 am »
Ignore

Why is CNN standing behind Piers again?  Are his ratings that good?

His ratings have pretty much been mediocre. He isn't doing much better, if any better, than Larry King, certainly not beating Maddow or Hannity.

The Warlock did give him a period of saving grace for a little bit though during his interview.

Economic score: +4.81
Social score: +4.83
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2011, 12:56:48 pm »
Ignore

Weird little twist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14431473

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2011, 10:33:01 am »
Ignore

urgh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14509375

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2011, 08:05:25 am »
Ignore

Boom: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/16/phone-hacking-now-reporter-letter

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
India
View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:38 am »
Ignore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtndOhSMpHs

You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2011, 05:34:40 pm »
Ignore

Murdoch's wife's said that Tony Blair's the Godfather of their daughter...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout