Someone who supports civil unions but opposes gay marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:14:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Someone who supports civil unions but opposes gay marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Someone who supports civil unions but opposes gay marriage  (Read 2514 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »

Is there anyone here who holds this position and if so can they explain how it makes a lick of sense?

(Before the "OMG OBAMA!" responses: No I don't believe he is really opposed to gay marriage. No I do not care in the slightest that is therefore lying.)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »

I don't think it's that ridiculous of a position. You can believe that gays and lesbians should be able to have the same legal contracts as two straight people who love and commit to each other, but at the same time believe that the label "marriage" is by definition only a thing between a man and a woman.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:36:42 AM »

It seems like the textbook example of a position of Moderate Heroism for the sole sake of Moderate Heroism.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 01:41:50 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2011, 01:44:11 AM by your fascist superhero »

I don't think it's that ridiculous of a position. You can believe that gays and lesbians should be able to have the same legal contracts as two straight people who love and commit to each other, but at the same time believe that the label "marriage" is by definition only a thing between a man and a woman.

I would agree with that except you don't get the same federal benefits or recognized everywhere so it's inherently inferior to regular marriage. Of course having government get out of marriage entirely and let us decide whatever lifestyle arrangement we want to without having to ask for a permission slip from them would be far better.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 03:22:03 AM »

John Edwards.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 01:58:16 PM »

It seems like the textbook example of a position of Moderate Heroism for the sole sake of Moderate Heroism.

And yet something like 20 to 30% of the American public has that position.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »

Republican trying to get more votes in a traditional liberal state.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »

Sounds like my parents. Or at least a few years ago when it was actually an issue here.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »

That's my parents position. They don't think being gay is a sin and believe they deserve equal civil rights but are still uncomfortable enough with homosexuality that they don't support marriage rights. I'd say they marginally support marriage rights if pushed in one direction but don't care either way.

Anyways this is definitely a position for olds who grew up in an era where being gay was taboo and still aren't comfortable enough to support the idea of "queers getting wed" or whatever. Obviously hardly anyone under the age of 30 or even 40 has this position.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 11:17:55 PM »

Gay couples deserve the same rights, as married couples do. But dont take marridge, which was designed for men and women and shouldnt be changed. DOMA is wrong though, and should be repealed. Its a states right issue, really.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »

My take on the issue. And I doubt BRTD can argue with a straight face that I'm interested in being a Moderate Hero.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »

It's a position for people with no integrity, really. At least gay marriage opponents have an actual stance on the issue.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »

I was thinking mostly of benconstine, though I don't know if he still holds that position, some of his posts lately imply he has moved away and to supporting gay marriage.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »

The main thing is, I have a tough time seeing how someone could sincerely advocate for civil unions and yet vote for prop 8 if they lived in California in 2008. Obama also spoke against prop 8, but everyone knows his position isn't sincere anyway.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »

Kids were gonna learn to be gay, churches were gonna get burned down, and everyone in the state was going to get sued. Of course it had to pass.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »

The concept that definitions are and should be immutable as an a priori concept seems to conflate semantics with fashioning sensible public policy.  Just why anyone would find that in and of itself as persuasive of anything escapes me.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »

I used to take this position, but it really is a matter of semantics. If you feel your marriage is a sacrament, then you should able to stand on its own merits. It shouldn't need to be blessed or "cheapened" by the state.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »

I hold this position.

I support civil unions for all couples because if we're going to provide state recognition to people who choose a monogamous sexual relationship, it makes no sense to limit said sanction to heterosexual couples.

I also support marriage for male-female couples because those are the only type of couple that is naturally capable of producing a child and thus replenishing our country with another generation of citizens.  

I'm not advocating a change in the law per se, but just for discussion -- why does the state even recognize or sanction heterosexual marriages that do not produce children (through birth or adoption)?  Congratulations, you've decided to f**k only one person.  Here's a pretty certificate and some tax breaks!

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 12:25:44 PM »

Gays adopt kids you know, and there are a lot of kids out there that need good homes.  And I would prefer that gay adoptors be "married" myself. Yes, married.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »

When, exactly, did marriage change from a property and good sharing contract to a child producing prerequisite?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 07:08:59 PM »

I used to take this position, but it really is a matter of semantics. If you feel your marriage is a sacrament, then you should able to stand on its own merits. It shouldn't need to be blessed or "cheapened" by the state.

That too I've never understood. The hardcore fundamentalist crowd used to also be opposed to having state marriages, many felt that having their marriage recognized by that godless state would actually be what cheapened it. I suspect some still do, but keeping the homos down has become more important to them.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 10:17:53 PM »

When, exactly, did marriage change from a property and good sharing contract to a child producing prerequisite?

I'm not sure, since both strike me as vaguely feudal, but the first strikes me as a bit more feudal, so maybe that has something to do with it.

(I'm not necessarily using 'feudal' as a pejorative here. The transition to money rents was historically hard on a lot of folks, even though it was eventually for the best. See 'The Old and Young Courtier' in Percy's Reliques. But I digress.)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 06:34:51 AM »

I think I might support the state only recognizing civil unions that would apply the same way to straight and gay couples.

Marriage can be left to churches or anyone else who wants it. The latest development in Sweden where gays are getting married in churches I don't totally get, to be honest (unless they're actually Christian, but rather few seems to be).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 07:07:31 AM »

I think I might support the state only recognizing civil unions that would apply the same way to straight and gay couples.

Marriage can be left to churches or anyone else who wants it. The latest development in Sweden where gays are getting married in churches I don't totally get, to be honest (unless they're actually Christian, but rather few seems to be).

Wait, in Sweden the State mandates churches to celebrate gay marriages even if they don't want to ? That makes no sense. Huh
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 07:37:29 AM »

Wait, in Sweden the State mandates churches to celebrate gay marriages even if they don't want to ? That makes no sense. Huh

I'm not sure what the current legal status is, but I think they lose their marriage license if they refuse to wed gay couples. I'd have to check though, that might have been withdrawn due to protests from the churches.

However, the Church of Sweden, in its never-ending endeavour to be modern and progressive and not scare anyone away with actually standing for anything (beyond being opposed to racism) has decided to wed gay couples.

Before anyone jumps on me, I wouldn't mind them doing that if I thought it was based on some sort of reasoning with at least some theologiclal elements to it, but I sort of doubt that it is. It's a bit of a joke church, to be honest.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies