Atheist movie coming out in New York and Los Angeles (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:13:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Atheist movie coming out in New York and Los Angeles (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atheist movie coming out in New York and Los Angeles  (Read 6161 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 08, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »

This "athiesm" is more antitheism.  People who go around the world advocating with crap like this are no better than evangelicals.

Athiesm should be "don't waste your life thinking about God" not "waste your life trying to prove there is no God."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 07:07:15 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2011, 07:09:34 PM by A Serious King™ »

This "athiesm" is more antitheism.  People who go around the world advocating with crap like this are no better than evangelicals.

Athiesm should be "don't waste your life thinking about God" not "waste your life trying to prove there is no God."

Well King, I'd love to not give a crap about God but here's the thing - there are people who believe who want to force it down everyone's throats. No, I'm not talking about someone preaching their beliefs on a street corner. That's just words and I don't tend to give a crap about just words.

The ones I'm talking about are the ones that want to teach creationism (their version, of course) in public schools, the ones who want to spend tax dollars on religious monuments, the ones who want to force others to give up their reproductive rights purely based on their religious beliefs, the ones who want to force women to wear burqas and mutilate their genitals in infancy, the ones who want to stone homosexuals to death, the ones who commit heinous acts of terrorism and tyranny in the name of their chosen deities, etc. There are a variety of problems, both great and small, that many of us atheists see religion either causing or exasperating - these are problems that occur in the world we live in, and we happen to care about the world we live in. It would be quite dumb of us to ignore what we see as a problem, don't you think?

Yes, and you can advocate against all those horrible things politically.  There is no need for athiest evangelizing or propaganda.

All of those issues mentioned are so fractionally supported among religions and denominations that the theists themselves will defeat each other on such issues.  They are vocal, sure, but ineffective.  

Wasting stressful and frustrating energy trying to convert others to your belief system is not required.  In fact, it drives nonreligious thought into the pitfalls of religion: the us vs. them, good vs. evil mentality.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »

I really don't understand (or like, at all) this notion that all atheists should never try to be activists, should never complain about the lack of respect, should never try to convince others that they are wrong, and generally should just sit around being apathetic individuals that sit around to ourselves intellectually masturbating by occasionally philosophizing about all the bad that religion does but never actually try to do anything about it. That sounds like the worst thing in the world.

If some atheists are more motivated into their atheism by apathy, then that's their prerogative, but I don't need to be dragged down to that level as well.

I used to share this view, until one day I found myself getting annoyed by a friend of mine telling me a family member of mine will be in her prayers.

It was at that point I realized that atheism in the Western world is still very much corrupted by Judeo-Christian thought.  In order to really let myself break free from the stranglehold, I had to let go of not only the God idea, but the system of truth vs. heresy.

I have always been upfront about my Godlessness, and have never got any static over it ever.  There seems to be more animus between competing sects, than between those who have a God in their lives, and those that don't, in my experience. Go figure. 

I've always found referring to myself as "non-practicing" gets better reception than "atheist," despite there being no fundamental difference.   Perhaps it was because I was raised in a lapsed Catholic community.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 12:10:55 PM »

Utterly naive. Do you think that someone who believes he's going to get an eternal reward from the supreme being for killing his enemies gives a damn about politics? And then there's some issues like the Westboro Baptist Church that you wouldn't necessarily want to solve politically - I mean sure, we could politically repeal the First Amendment to take away their free speech, but that wouldn't be acceptable.

Do you really believe those people to be common among faiths?  The WBC, for example, is a small time cult made entirely of Phelps family.  They scream loudly, sure, but they aren't really an issue. 

To continue with that example tied in with the first amendment, if there wasn't an idea of "inherent evil" associated with their views and we just let them scream their heads off but ignore them (as we pretty much already do), there would be no conflict with their right to free speech politically.

As for the rest of your posts,  I don't really see theist groups gaining power because their beliefs went unchecked.  Groups like the Taliban or Muslim Brotherhood gain power through military force or promises of economic benefit.  The religion that ties them together is always secondary in their rise.  Al pretty much expresses this in the above post; and far more eloquently.

You even say that your main goal is rationalist thought and that atheism is a simply a side view.  I think it's possible to educate a generation of rationalists without forcing them to abandon their religious beliefs right away. 

Perhaps they will come to your conclusion on God on their own, or maybe their children or grandchildren will.  That is pretty much how we all got to this position. I doubt anybody here is in a third generation of atheism.  If not your parents then your grandparents probably have at least some religiousness.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »

Buddhism like all religions makes some interesting points but is never at any time correct in more than 30% of it's beliefs and is not practical to follow for everything.  Buddhist theocracy Mikado describes tends to play out like masked Hinduism and it's no coincidence that places like Bhutan are in regions where Hindu influence and interaction is possible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies