Hi South Sudan !
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:42:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hi South Sudan !
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hi South Sudan !  (Read 2061 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:55:43 AM »

JUBA, South Sudan — The celebrations erupted at midnight. Thousands of revelers poured into Juba’s steamy streets in the predawn hours on Saturday, hoisting enormous flags, singing, dancing and leaping on the back of cars.

“Freedom!” they screamed.

A new nation was being born in what used to be a forlorn, war-racked patch of Africa, and to many it seemed nothing short of miraculous. After more than five decades of an underdog, guerrilla struggle and two million lives lost, the Republic of South Sudan, Africa’s 54th state, was about to declare its independence in front of a who’s who of Africa, including the president of the country letting it go: Omar Hassan al-Bashir of Sudan, a war-crimes suspect.

Many of those who turned out to celebrate, overcome with emotion, spoke of their fathers, mothers, sons and daughters killed in the long struggle to break free from the Arab-dominated north.

“My whole body feels happy,” said George Garang, an English teacher who lost his father, grandfather and 11 brothers in the war.

By sunrise, the crowds were surging through the streets of Juba, the capital, to the government quarter, where the declaration of independence would be read aloud. Thousands of soldiers lined the freshly painted curbs, tiger patches on their arms, assault rifles in their hands. This new nation is being built on a guerrilla army — the Sudan People’s Liberation Army, whose field commanders are now South Sudan’s political leaders — and the amount of firepower here is unnerving.

By 9 a.m., the sun was dangerous. The faces, necks and arms of the people packed thousands deep around a parade stand built for the occasion were glazed with sweat. A woman abruptly slumped to the dirt and was whisked away.

“She fainted because she’s happy,” said a man in the crowd. “There will be many others today.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/world/africa/10sudan.html
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2011, 12:33:24 PM by Ohne Romney »

The question is, will it become commonplace that the remainder of Sudan is colloquially referred to as "North Sudan"? Strictly speaking, both countries are officially called "Sudan" and "South Sudan" though.

South Sudan's first president:

t_host1

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »

The question is, will it become commonplace that the remainder of Sudan is colloquially referred to as "North Sudan"? Strictly speaking, both countries are officially called "Sudan" and "South Sudan" though.

South Sudan's first president:

nice hat,

2 -3 yrs. later, dubya can take confort in the new future for many. A tip of the hat to him and all who endured.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2011, 03:36:59 PM by Joe Republic »

Welcome to the world, South Sudan!

Soooo..... your country's fucked.  You might want to get on that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:07:08 PM »

With a President who dresses Dolemite slick, they could end up conquering most of Africa.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 07:04:47 PM »

Is the Commonwealth of Virginia commonly called East Virgina?
Is the Republic of Ireland commonly called Southern Ireland?
Back before Western Samoa rebranded itself as simply Samoa, was American Samoa ever called Eastern Samoa?

I doubt that Sudan will ever be called North Sudan, but I would not be surprised if once the thorny issues attached to independence are sorted out that South Sudan might pick another name for itself.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »

With a President who dresses Dolemite slick, they could end up conquering most of Africa.

*pfft*  I doubt you've seen the President of Nigeria, or even his name.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »

When an African nation's President wears a cowboy hat at the United Nations, they win.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 09:08:57 PM »

*pfft*  I doubt you've seen the President of Nigeria, or even his name.

Some folks say Goodluck Jonathan was the baddest mothafucker the world  ever seen, but I want you to hold on to your seats.  Hold on to them tight.  Because now get ready to see the story of me--yes, me--Salva Kiir Mayardit.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 04:09:31 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2011, 10:18:23 AM by Ohne Romney »

Is the Commonwealth of Virginia commonly called East Virgina?
Back before Western Samoa rebranded itself as simply Samoa, was American Samoa ever called Eastern Samoa?

I doubt that Sudan will ever be called North Sudan, but I would not be surprised if once the thorny issues attached to independence are sorted out that South Sudan might pick another name for itself.

None of your examples include (two) sovereign nations though. On the other hand, the Republic of Korea (ROK) is commonly called "South Korea" for some reason.

I was asking because some news reports had already started to refer to the remainder of Sudan as "North Sudan", mostly to differentiate it from the south. So the question is how much of a traction it will gain.

"North Sudan recognises independent South Sudan: state TV" (http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE7670DP20110708)

"North Sudan army completes dismissal of southern members" (http://www.sudantribune.com/North-Sudan-army-completes,39452)

"North Sudan Army Demobilizes Southern Members" (http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/east/North-Sudan-Army-Demobilizes-Southern-Members-125151054.html)

"North Sudan troops control disputed town" (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/22/3223481.htm)

"North Sudan accused of bombing South" (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/11/3241531.htm)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 05:31:26 AM »

Sudan already means "Southern land" iirc. So North Southern Land is even more ridic than South Southern Land.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 10:17:46 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2011, 10:25:16 AM by Ohne Romney »

Sudan already means "Southern land" iirc. So North Southern Land is even more ridic than South Southern Land.

According to Wikipedia, "Sudan" is derived from the Arabic bilâd as-sűdân, which means "land of the Blacks".

Which makes the remainder of Sudan a bit of a misnomer, since most of the Sudanese blacks actually live in South Sudan.

South Sudan = Real Sudan, (North) Sudan = Fake Sudan Tongue
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »

According to Wikipedia, "Sudan" is derived from the Arabic bilâd as-sűdân, which means "land of the Blacks".

Which makes the remainder of Sudan a bit of a misnomer, since most of the Sudanese blacks actually live in South Sudan.

Fake Sudan could always bring back "Nubia."
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »

+1 dictatorship! PARTY PARTY PARTY
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »

Fake Sudan could always bring back "Nubia."

What's a Nubian?

(less than 10% will get that joke)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »

I wish I could say I was optimistic about their future. I guess we'll see what happens...
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 05:33:28 AM »

In Northern Ireland it is called "The South"
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 04:30:36 AM »

All Africa should follow the example and create, like, 800 "failed" states.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies