Please shut up about LBJ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:21:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Please shut up about LBJ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Please shut up about LBJ  (Read 9402 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2004, 04:07:16 PM »

It is interesting to read how woefully uninformed people are these days. I tend to blame it on the school system that no longer teaches history, only revisionist history.

The civil war was not about slavery. If it had been, the North would not have had slavery before the Civil War. The Emancipation Proclamation (issued Jan 1, 1963) only freed slaves in the Southern States, it did not address slaves in the North. Read the document. The slaves in the North, yes Northernors had slaves, were not freed until after the war.

I suspect that the Civil War had less to do with emancipation and more to do with providing a source of cheap labour for the North's growing industries. A place where, unlike Dixie, industrialists had no moral obligation to provide for their workers beyond paying them a pittance. In comparison, planters had a moral obligation to provide food and shelter for their slaves

Whether this is fact or fallacy, I'm far from certain, but the story has it that my ancestors never so much as raised a hand to their slaves. They were essentially benevolent paternalists

I make no secret of my antipathy towards the GOP and much of it stems from the Civil War and Reconstruction

I'm an ancestral Democrat and proud of it!

Dave

You've hit the nail on the head.

The Civil War wasn't about anything economic.  It was about statess right and the idea of whether the US was a union of states or a union with states.  Slavery didn't move to the forefront until the Emancipation Procalaimation.

Wars are hardly ever about economics.  No one who goes to war over money fights as hard as the soldiers of the Civil War (you can't spend your money if your dead), only deeply held principles can create something like the American Civil War.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2004, 05:03:56 PM »

Let me suggest a simpler explanation for why the war between the states was fought.

When the deep south states seceded, there were still too many Democrats in Congress to all the Republicans to control it.

Lincoln reversed the policy of Buchanan in trying to peacefully deal with the situation and deliberately, willfully and maliciously sent armed forces into the south to provoke an armed conflict.

Then he called for the formation of a large army to conquer the deep south states that had seceded with the intent of provoking the outer south states to secede (thereby gaining control of Congress).

In short, the war was provoked by Lincoln as a power grab.

If, the deep south had not been threatened with force, it seems likely they would have in a few years revoked their secession measures, and rejoined the union voluntariy.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2004, 07:17:17 PM »

Let me suggest a simpler explanation for why the war between the states was fought.

When the deep south states seceded, there were still too many Democrats in Congress to all the Republicans to control it.

Lincoln reversed the policy of Buchanan in trying to peacefully deal with the situation and deliberately, willfully and maliciously sent armed forces into the south to provoke an armed conflict.

Then he called for the formation of a large army to conquer the deep south states that had seceded with the intent of provoking the outer south states to secede (thereby gaining control of Congress).

In short, the war was provoked by Lincoln as a power grab.

If, the deep south had not been threatened with force, it seems likely they would have in a few years revoked their secession measures, and rejoined the union voluntariy.

EXACTLY COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies