Your thoughts on the results Vs. What they actually were?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:26:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Your thoughts on the results Vs. What they actually were?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your thoughts on the results Vs. What they actually were?  (Read 686 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »

Spinning off one of Naso's posts in my last thread, I thought I would start one on this topic.

Going into the last few days before the election and into election night it's self, what have you thought the results were going to be going back as far as you my fellow posters have follow American politics?

In 2004 I thought the final map could have very well have looked like this. I know it looks a bit odd but I'll explain.

I know many people on this forum would have issues with this map. But going into election night 2004 even though polling had Kerry leading in NH throughout much of the campaign I was skeptical the state was going to go to him, especially since things seemed to have tightened up towards the last couple of days before the election. While in NJ a state that had been pretty red(Atlas color) that had formally been a  swing state, I thought it was very much in play towards the last couple of months and days before the election since polls there tightened up dramatically after the Republican national convention. And I thought on election night it was going to hold some surprises due to a mixture of the 9/11 effect, Democratic scandals, and the fact that the Democrats in recent years appeared to have been taking the state for granted. The same thing in HI where polling in the few weeks before the election showed Bush surging. And I still thought Bush had a lock on WI even though it was going to be close.

Likewise going into election night I though Kerry had a lock on swing states like IA even though like WI I thought it was going to be close. While I also had a feeling that Kerry was going to win Florida, which Bush won comfortably in the final results.

I'll post 2008 tomorrow as I'm feeling tired right now.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »

In 1984 I thought Mondale would win MA, RI and possibly MD.
In 2008 I thought McCain would win IN, NC, and all of NE.
In 2012 I thought Romney would win FL.
Otherwise I was not too surprised.
JonathanSwift
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 02:17:09 PM »

In 2012, I thought Romney would win Florida and Virginia.
Hydera

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:42:29 PM »

2000: TN,MO,KY was a lost cause but i thought that West Virginia, Arkansas and Louisiana would at least still be won in the end. Also i expected gore to loose florida by 5% and it turned out to be a nail biter.

2004: Thought that Kerry would lose Michigan, Wisconsin and barely loose pennsylvania. Mainly due to the high turnout for the vote to ban SSM. Was suprised that he actually held on. My guess is that a lot of black voters voted both for Kerry and to ban SSM. Still i was suprised that the high margin for the amendments was not enough to swing those states toward Bush.

2008: Suprised about the virginia result since virginia before was the "minnesota of the GOP" (AKA: goes GOP even if the candidate is unpopular if you remember 1976 and 1992/1996)

2012: Kinda expected Virginia to go back towards the GOP column, and Iowa too.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »

Voters in MI voted for President independently of their vote on SSM. Macomb County voted 60.6% to ban SSM and only 50.25% for Bush; Detroit voted 51.6% to ban SSM and 94% for Kerry. On the other hand, upscale Birmingham voted 55% for Bush and 60.2% against banning SSM. We would see this phenomenon in 2008 in CA, where S Central LA voted 99%+ for Obama and 70% to ban SSM.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies