The Michael A. Naso Institute of Comedy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:59:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Michael A. Naso Institute of Comedy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 89
Author Topic: The Michael A. Naso Institute of Comedy  (Read 389355 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44:48 PM »

Kind of surprising given it's on the 2012 board, but this thread is great https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=157186.0
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1851 on: August 10, 2012, 03:48:44 PM »

Phil, don't be such a Nancy.  Sad
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1852 on: August 10, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »

Kind of surprising given it's on the 2012 board, but this thread is great https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=157186.0

Bacon King's post in that thread was sublime.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1853 on: August 11, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »

No, because he does, indeed, follow the Catholic Church's backwards-ass social morality.

Have you heard the Paul Ryan Personal Dictionary definition of the phrase 'preferential option for the poor'?

No, but I have heard the phrase 'ignorant, socially-unaware, anti-choice, homophobic dipstick'.

Or in other words, Catholic.

You're edgy.

Naturally. One could impale themselves on my state's southern border.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1854 on: August 11, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

That one was good.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1855 on: August 11, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »

I take full credit for this.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1856 on: August 13, 2012, 01:40:59 AM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1857 on: August 13, 2012, 02:18:18 AM »

I don't think he was intentional, though.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1858 on: August 13, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »

Howdy Leip-ers,
I've decided to put together a "circular letter" about wikidemocracy and ask around to see if anyone might want to add to it.  If it gets long enough I'd like to publish it as a book, not to make money, but just to interest future historians about what folks thought about this new form of government circa 2012 C.E.

There's various ways to think about wikidemocracy, but I like to imagine it as a really big wiki and town hall USA legislature,  225 million souls instead of the current 535. 

I'm pasting a copy of the letter I wrote below, if tacking your name on with your response to the letter sounds interesting to you, please send me an e-mail at    settdigger@gmail.com

Thanks for listening!

Robin Wyatt Dunn

----

Dear Folks,

Wikidemocracy in America:  what is it?

There are few forms of direct democracy operational as of August 2012, and they all (the initiative, the referendum, the recall) act as adjuncts to aristocracies. 

Wikidemoracry is the agora, again.  The agora was the marketplace, where Athenian aristocrats circa 400 B.C. hung out and governed.  Wikidemocracy in America would be the agora, again.  A real big agora.  Instead of 535 Congresspeople (100 Senators and 435 Representatives), we’d have about 225 million American citizens over 18, all citizen-legislators, logging on, signing in, drinking their coffee, writin’ them some good laws (and bad ones).

We are comfortable with aristacry for good reason:  it is in our genes.  Biologists tells us our ape cousins have well established hierarchies where some get more food than others, and take others’ food away when they want.  Some theorize this was useful when famine came along:  let the poor die, the rich live, life goes on.

Now we know better, we hope.  Now we know all men and women and transgendered people are created equal, and they have equal opportunities, let us hope, to exercise their God-given talents and pursue happiness.  For whatever reason, let’s just chalk it up to history, democratic institutions are under threat all over this Earth.  Maybe the threat isn’t big!  Maybe it’s just this latent infection that won’t get too bad.  But why not respond to this “mild cold” with a mighty overhaul, why not try a crazy-sounding 21st Century political health spa, the wikidemocracy.

So, a big agora.  Obviously, already unworkable!  Although I’ve never been to Switzerland, just looking at their beautiful democratic processes of gathering 10,000 bodies together to vote in person at special times is charming, and inefficient.

And yet, lest we all become modern hermits and never leave our homes, we clearly need a strong balance between town halls and committed political Internet networks, a system of wikidemocracies.  You could have your local, state, and federal wiki pages.  All waiting for your laws, and your votes.

The advantages:  your children can legislate without getting elected!  You can teach them how to write a law, even how to write a good law.  Then you can argue with your neighbor about it.  You get some skin in the game.  You can’t blame Washington if you’re the government!  Make Lincoln’s famous words come true in reality, not just in spirit.

The disadvantages:  mob rule!  Our ancestors feared it.  The chief bad thing about mobs is when they get angry they get stupid.  This is why we have the Supreme Court, which still today loyally protects the rights of minorities.  In any wikidemocracy where I was a citizen, I would want a strong Supreme Court, just like we got know, to protect against the nasty sides of crowds when they decide to bite someone (gays, blacks, Jews, Commies, whoever it might be).

Mob rule!  Mobs are dirty.  All kinds of colors of people.  We haven’t vetted them in advance.  That one-legged Gypsy next door just had another goddamned baby.  In 18 years that goddamned Gypsy kid will be legislating in a wikidemocracy whether you like it or not.  They, if they’re a citizen, will be able to write and vote on laws in a wiki.

Mob rule!  Wow, there’s a lot of us.  225 million!   Multiply 535 (the current size of our legislature) by about 420,000, and there you’d have it.  So just stop to think:  every one of those 535 people we elected has the power to govern 420,000 people with their pen.  Why did we give them so much power?  The writers of the Constitution knew that historical republics were easily corrupted by foreign gifts, and so wrote down that Congressmen shouldn’t be allowed to receive them.  But how many “gifts” do they get from corporations now?  How many gifts do they have to get just to get re-elected?

And that’s the big gain in a Wiki-D, folks.  No more elections for Congress.  No more representatives.  You represent yourself.

Now remember, there are lots of ways to implement this.  We could have proxies, in at least two forms.  You want to keep your representative?  Okay, fine.  Designate your voting privilges as such on the wiki, put a check mark next to Darrel Issa’s name and select “all votes” or something and you never have to legislate even once.  But Issa, who might once have had a million constituents, might now only have seventeen.  Or he might even have more!  God knows, wikidemocracy is crazy enough, and the American people are crazy enough, maybe Congress would actually shrink!  And everyone would designate Obama their proxy, and he could become Emperor.  Another version of a proxy would be to have a “voting profile” of some kind that you could activate, if you were lazy, and then change later when you wanted.  God knows they’ve written enough lines of code to determine what you like to buy online, we could certainly examine what you like to vote on online.

Another cool structural function of a wikidemocracy was proposed by the Swedes, in the form of tug-of-war voting.  In this system, a bill never really leaves the floor.  You can vote on it forever.  But at some point, it reaches a critical mass (whatever the magical number is) where enough people have voted that it acquires teeth, and it goes over for the President’s signature.  (Do we want to leave the President the veto?  Think of how many laws he’s going to be signing!)

Mob rule!  Chaos, people will say.  I can hear Fox News chanting about it now, declaiming the virtues of nice, sane oligarchies.  Yeah, it’s messy.  But it would let us put our apathy aside.  It wouldn’t let us say “well I voted for the other guy.”  If you’re not legislating, you’re just sitting on your ass.

- -

The Technocrats and the Aristocrats

Even if our Founding Fathers crawled out of their graves tomorrow and gaveled in a New Constitutional Convention tomorrow and we signed it into law the same day, we’d still have rich and poor.  We’d still have educated and uneducated.

Rich people have time on their hands, and money to buy others’ time.  And technocrats have hard-won knowledge of how systems work.  They make government go, they grease those wheels and keep the lights on and keep the mail trucks fueled while our elected politicians glad hand each other and worry about terrorism.  We gonna need those technocrats.  They ain’t goin’ nowhere.

Time is a lot more complicated.  I don’t know why New England states never did manage to agree to have just a few paid days off a year to go to town hall meetings, but they didn’t.  I’m guessing they were just too afraid.  In the old capital/ labor conflict, capital won again.

So we’d need time.  One day off a month, for starters.  Paid out of the U.S. Treasury.  If you’re a hard-core legislator, sure, do it in your free time too, but that one day could be holy, if we wanted it to be.  sh**t, make it two.  Think how much we could change, add to the GNP with our collective spirit, how much we’d invest in the future of our country with those days off.

People are getting used to Wikipedia.  They’re getting used to Facebook.  People like democracy.  There’s a million details to argue over, some vital and some less so, but still before us is the simpler question:  why do it?  And why not?  Smart people remain unconvinced.  So let’s have us a circular letter, in honor of our ancestors.

Sincerely yours,

Robin Wyatt Dunn
Los Angeles, Calif.
August 13, 2012

They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1859 on: August 13, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »

Why would I disavow you? Ideology ain't nothing but a thought bro. Love is the only ideology I truly subscribe to.

You're really horny aren't you?  I understand. Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1860 on: August 15, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »

It does, which is why I believe that the true nature of Satan's right hand man is revealed before election day.

Three-and-a-half years have already passed.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1861 on: August 15, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

Unintentional humor:

These liberal "facts" are inaccurate.  Repealing Obamacare would reduce the national debt by 10 trillion dollars and putting G-d back in the classroom would lead to an additional 4 trillion in savings.

Where do you get that from. The Congressional Budget Office says that repealling ObamaCare would actually increase the deficit by a few hundred billions.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1862 on: August 15, 2012, 07:16:51 PM »

...most of my high school class stayed in South Carolina for the 4 years because they didn't want to change scenery, but I went to North Carolina...

Wow, so exotic!  Was there a culture shock?  Hard to get used to the food?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1863 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »

On Renaming the 2012 Election Board:

this thread may violate the Inksian prohibition on discussion of ephebophilia.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1864 on: August 16, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »

I don't think Dave should buy the Mikado.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1865 on: August 16, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »

Context:

McKayla Maroney would not be the least bit impressed.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1866 on: August 16, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »

Crude, but I laughed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So I take it you don't believe in trickle-down economics.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1867 on: August 16, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »

As for your ambition for the BushOK loins.. perhaps you set the bar a bridge too far, my friend.  Lets help him get to the point where he can find it, before we advise him to use it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1868 on: August 16, 2012, 02:32:22 PM »

But didn't Hegel tell us that thought moves through a cycle of thesis/antithesis/synthesis, where the synthesis takes elements of each of the preceding notions, in something akin to the following manner?  And did not Karl Marx dictate that, in addition to ideas, entire social and economic classes can and do operate in the same fashion, and that that is the base of history?

Thesis: Obnoxious Obama Hacks
Antithesis: Obnoxious Romney Hacks
Synthesis: 2012 Board

Simple dialectical materialism, the science of history.

Beautiful.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1869 on: August 16, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »

But didn't Hegel tell us that thought moves through a cycle of thesis/antithesis/synthesis, where the synthesis takes elements of each of the preceding notions, in something akin to the following manner?  And did not Karl Marx dictate that, in addition to ideas, entire social and economic classes can and do operate in the same fashion, and that that is the base of history?

Beautiful.

I knew you were going to Goldmine that when I was writing it.  I don't get why some people here say you're impossible to please, you're actually quite predictable.  It just requires writing jokes that go over the heads of 95% of people here.  Wink
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1870 on: August 16, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »

But didn't Hegel tell us that thought moves through a cycle of thesis/antithesis/synthesis, where the synthesis takes elements of each of the preceding notions, in something akin to the following manner?  And did not Karl Marx dictate that, in addition to ideas, entire social and economic classes can and do operate in the same fashion, and that that is the base of history?

Beautiful.

I knew you were going to Goldmine that when I was writing it.  I don't get why some people here say you're impossible to please, you're actually quite predictable.  It just requires writing jokes that go over the heads of 95% of people here.  Wink

While it's not bad, the problem with it for me is that it assumes that there is an equilibrium between the Obama Hacks and the Romney Hacks. I suspect one viewing of that infamous board - or for that matter US political discourse generally - would dispel any notion of that being the case.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1871 on: August 16, 2012, 11:20:59 PM »

Beautiful.

While it's not bad, the problem with it for me is that it assumes that there is an equilibrium between the Obama Hacks and the Romney Hacks. I suspect one viewing of that infamous board - or for that matter US political discourse generally - would dispel any notion of that being the case.

20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1872 on: August 17, 2012, 10:12:06 AM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1873 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »

Everyone, if you see another poster with a very similar writing style to my own posting from one of several IP addresses in Massachusetts or (occasionally) New Jersey, that's my long-lost brother Ethan, the black sheep of our family who lives in the US Virgin Islands.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1874 on: August 17, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »

Everyone, if you see another poster with a very similar writing style to my own posting from one of several IP addresses in Massachusetts or (occasionally) New Jersey, that's my long-lost brother Ethan, the black sheep of our family who lives in the US Virgin Islands.

OMFG
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies