Bachmann: Pray Away the Gay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:14:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Bachmann: Pray Away the Gay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bachmann: Pray Away the Gay  (Read 5932 times)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »

A former patient who sought help from the Christian counseling clinic owned by GOP presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann and her husband, Marcus, told ABC News he was advised that prayer could rid him of his homosexual urges and he could eventually be "re-oriented."

"[One counselor's] path for my therapy would be to read the Bible, pray to God that I would no longer be gay," said Andrew Ramirez, who was 17-years-old at the time he sought help from Bachmann & Associates in suburban Minneapolis. "And God would forgive me if I were straight."

In the past, Marcus Bachmann has disputed the clinic has treated gay patients this way. But Ramirez's account is similar to the counseling session that appears on new undercover video shot by a gay rights advocacy group last month. That footage shows another counselor at the Bachmann clinic telling a gay man posing as a patient that, with prayer and effort, he could eventually learn to be attracted to women and rid himself of his gay urges.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/michele-bachmann-exclusive-pray-gay-candidates-clinic/story?id=14048691
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »

Keep chipping, hopefully Bachmann will be back to nutjob obscurity soon.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

They've also taken federal dollars to do this. The Bachmanns are scum.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:43:32 PM »

I wonder if this kind of "therapy" should be covered by medical insurance subsidized by Obamacare. I mean prayer is a form of therapy no?

A little bump in the road is that the shrinks no longer considered gayness an illness, but why get bogged down by the little stuff?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2011, 05:59:14 PM by Ohne Romney »

Damn, I wish this would have not come out after she had won the nomination.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2011, 06:08:24 PM by Anonymous Irish Alcoholic »

They've also taken federal dollars to do this. The Bachmanns are scum.

Yeah that is pretty disgusting.
While I am not one who buys into homophobia I have to say that "pray away the gay" is probably the worst advice a straight person could possibly give to a gay (or "lean-gay") person.  I mean really the Bachmanns would've been better off telling these people to stop decorating in Fuschia color schemes or some stupid sh*t like that.  At least that would take some effort.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »

Damn, I wish this would have come out after she had won the nomination.

Why? This will give her a huge bounce in GOP primary polls.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »

Damn, I wish this would have come out after she had won the nomination.

Why? This will give her a huge bounce in GOP primary polls.

I sure hope so.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »

Do not post anything illegal on this forum.  If you f**kers get Dave in trouble, you deserve to burn in hell over it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »

Do not post anything illegal on this forum.  If you f**kers get Dave in trouble, you deserve to burn in hell over it.

I'd rather go to Las Vegas. Its a bit warmer in the fall.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »

I love how a thread like this involving Bachmann appears every day. She is

OUT THERE!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »

The funny thing is that she represents an archtype of short, petite, pretty but crazy as hell women. I dated one in High school just like that and another one just before the current one like that, too. Then's there's a similiar archtype of short, overweight, big boobed and bipolar chicks. 

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »

I already live in Oklahoma, Mick.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 06:43:24 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2011, 06:47:44 PM by sg0508 »

Do not post anything illegal on this forum.  If you f**kers get Dave in trouble, you deserve to burn in hell over it.
I apologize, but something that stupid deserves a stupid response.  This country is a joke and the fact that the GOP base has to hear that and the fact that this is how low she will go to improve poll numbers, it all needs to be blown up.  We need to improve quality of education in a hurry in this nation.  I'm actually curious, but what would happen if in a national debate one of her contenders had the guts to look at her in the eye and say, "you're an idiot". 
I already live in Oklahoma, Mick.
milhouse24
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »

Well the question about human sexuality, relationships, and reproduction is complex. 

On one hand, you have one sided attraction, meaning a person can be attracted to someone, or a certain gender, race, hair color, or body type.  Someone may be attracted to certain types of women, men or personalities. 

Then there is dual attraction, and this is about forming relationships with someone who equally cares about and is attracted to you.  This may be a rarer and more difficult thing to find, since most people get married once, so hypothetically, you are only attracted to and committed to one other person on this planet. 

Then there is the human desire to reproduce, and this function is usually accomplished through intercourse between opposite genders.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »

I spoke on this a bit earlier:

Democrat: genetic

Meaning it comes from God, so trying to suppress it is in the sin, not acting on it.

So Bachmann is clearly promoting a grave sin here. It is Bachmann who is need of God's healing, not the homosexuals she is preying upon. They need to learn to see the right and reject her evil ways.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »

Well, gayness can be "cured" but it usually doesn't work. And of course, God often says no to prayer, and when He does say yes He doesn't get any attention, so I don't think "Pray Away the Gay" is a good idea in and of itself.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 09:04:44 PM »

Like I said in another thread, the GOP ought to drop the religious right and start being moderate on social issues.

Michelle Bachmann, that includes you, forget about god, church, the bible and focus on the economy.  That's what matters most or else people think you're a crazy nutjob if you talk about your personal life.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »

Well, gayness can be "cured" but it usually doesn't work. And of course, God often says no to prayer, and when He does say yes He doesn't get any attention, so I don't think "Pray Away the Gay" is a good idea in and of itself.
Thank god I don't live in the south or I'd end up like this guy.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 10:02:51 PM »

Bachmann should pray for a sound mind.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 02:05:07 AM »

Bachmann should pray for a sound mind.

Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 09:57:58 AM »

"Gayness" can't be "cured" anymore than shortness can. "Gayness" comes down to genetics, and hormones. Why would your god create genes that make people gay and then turn around and say that those people are sick and need to be cured?

Perhaps you agree with another assessment that Bachmann made. The assessment that CO2 is actually a beneficial gas to humans.

Read a book, or at least read a wikipedia article.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »

Why are there successes (albeit very little) in "cureing" if there is a gay gene?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 11:16:15 AM »

Why are there successes (albeit very little) in "cureing" if there is a gay gene?

In short there probably aren't. The 'ex gay' movement is almost entirely religious asking gays to pray, to abstain or to 'go through the motions' with someone of the other sex. The fact that so many go through the process and say it didn't work probably gives a big clue. Ask any 'ex gay' and they will say that it works...until they come out and say it didn't work and it was a sham as many do and continue to do. That's exactly the same attitude you would get from a Scientologist saying 'yes it cured my depression!'....until they also come out and say it doesn't work and the whole things a con.

There are those who have almost exclusively gay experiences then have almost exclusive straight ones later in life. The opposite is also true. Human sexuality is pretty fluid for some people. For others it's very black and white.

The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »

So everyone who says they are "cured" is lying?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies