Obama to GOP: "I’m not going to take money from old people and screw students."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:09:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to GOP: "I’m not going to take money from old people and screw students."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama to GOP: "I’m not going to take money from old people and screw students."  (Read 3005 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/07/11/debt-crisis-deepens-as-eric-cantor-gop-propose-new-cuts.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What kind of crazy bizzaro land world do we live in when one of our two major parties think it's sensible public policy to bankrupt students and make it harder for them to attend college and throw millions of seniors back into poverty, all to fund tax cuts for the super rich in an economy with the highest rates of inequality since the 1920s?! Thankfully, at least our president is still an adult.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »

Nah, he'll give in soon.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:12:24 PM »

That's certainly been his pattern, as most of hard lefties here have said on other issues........his rhetoric is refreshingly ball busting though.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »

And when he loses, the Republicans will not cave on anything at all.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »

Seriously guys, if you ask Cantor why he entered public service, will he answer "to help other people" while keeping a straight face?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »

Seriously guys, if you ask Cantor why he entered public service, will he answer "to help other people" while keeping a straight face?

What's your definition of "other people?"
t_host1

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »

hold the phone.... the hub bub around here is,

Obama says he'll pay himself, his czar's and michells expense account before old people and their health care,
 now within the last hour or so - reports are McConnell has caved - he will give Obama 3 trips to the cash window to use as he pleases for 500B on a 2/3's majority vote with no cuts or tax increases required.

gold spikes
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »

What's your definition of "other people?"

Cantor's is "Isreal", certainly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »

Should not the headline be "I'm not going to take money from old people and screw students unless I can raise their taxes too?"  Obama reminds me of a bit of hard up prostitute here:  I will screw anyone as long as I raise enough revenue. 

Yes, before you ask, this whole process is getting me rather irritable and dyspeptic.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »

Should not the headline be "I'm not going to take money from old people and screw students unless I can raise their taxes too?"  Obama reminds me of a bit of hard up prostitute here:  I will screw anyone as long as I raise enough revenue. 

Yes, before you ask, this whole process is getting me rather irritable and dyspeptic.

Now, now grandpa. Wink

But seriously, when has Obama ever proposed raising taxes on people anywhere near middle class? He gets no credit for cutting taxes thus far.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »

Obviously the old people and students don't pay taxes - the taxes come from the rich - so it Obama wouldn't be raising 'their' taxes.  Just yours.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »

Now, now grandpa. Wink

But seriously, when has Obama ever proposed raising taxes on people anywhere near middle class? He gets no credit for cutting taxes thus far.

I just wanted to kick Obama in the nuts, and let me tell you, it felt good doing it!  So don't deflect me with noisome little faclets that get in the way of my badly needed catharsis. Thanks!  Tongue

Still, even if it is about raising taxes on "the rich," and of course that hardly squares the circle by any means, it sounds odd that if Obama gets more revenue, then he feels morally or something empowered to  drop the hammer on students and the olds per his own words. What does one have to do with the other?  And of course some money should be taken from some old people, but I digress. And I won't even touch the business about all the kids in college who should not be there, and how government money has inflated tuitions through the roof in something almost akin to a scam. I don't want to seem that mean spirited this afternoon. Perhaps tomorrow I will go for the throat.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »

...it sounds odd that if Obama gets more revenue, then he feels morally or something empowered to  drop the hammer on students and the olds per his own words. What does one have to do with the other?

Obviously the money that you are privileged to receive is stolen from students, olds, poors.

Its either golden toilet bowls for you, or their gruel and garrets.  Of course we know who will win, and who always wins, but try not to pretend to be 'put upon'.  It must be so 'annoying' that anyone would dare question your privilege!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 06:17:32 PM »

Now, now grandpa. Wink

I just wanted to kick Obama in the nuts, and let me tell you, it felt good doing it!  So don't deflect me with noisome little faclets that get in the way of my badly needed catharsis. Thanks!  Tongue

Still, even if it is about raising taxes on "the rich," and of course that hardly squares the circle by any means, it sounds odd that if Obama gets more revenue, then he feels morally or something empowered to  drop the hammer on students and the olds per his own words. What does one have to do with the other?  And of course some money should be taken from some old people, but I digress. And I won't even touch the business about all the kids in college who should not be there, and how government money has inflated tuitions through the roof in something almost akin to a scam. I don't want to seem that mean spirited this afternoon. Perhaps tomorrow I will go for the throat.

What he's saying is that he's 100% given in the moral panic over the deficit. Never mind that none of these rabidly anti-deficit Republicans cared one iota when Reagan, Bush I, or Bush Jr were at the helm. They've all been magically converted to deficit hawks since Obama's election, and, like any good convert, they believe with all the soul and all their strength and all their might. Obama has seen the error of his ways too and is playing along. Never mind that it makes no sense to lay off hundreds of thousands of gov't workers or cut aid to the states during an unemployment crisis. What Obama is saying is that if we're going to crush the poor, disabled, and elderly, and the "circle is so hard to square" as you're so wont to remind us frequently, it's only fair to ask for some sacrifice from those who already pull most of the levers in this country.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »

Problem is, college students typically don't vote, so sh**t like this happens.  Unless some politician pretends to be young and hip and has t-shirts made.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »

Problem is, college students typically don't vote, so sh**t like this happens.  Unless some politician pretends to be young and hip and has t-shirts made.

Sure college students vote.  Turnout at my university was like 65%.. and that's all guys.  The women's university was much higher.

It's college-aged people that don't vote as a whole.  People in their late teens/early 20s but not in college don't vote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 07:29:02 PM »

I take offense, px.  The friends Cantor has drinks with every night after work are certainly qualified as "other people."
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 12:36:10 AM »

What a wonderful idea Cantor has here, as if the student debt wasn't crushing enough in this environment...let's see if we can ruin even more people's credit, lower their lifetime earnings and start them off on the worst foot possible. I'm sure that will make us competitive.

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 12:41:15 AM »

More like "I'm not going to take money from old people and screw students unless I can raise taxes on millionaires as well."
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 01:55:06 AM »

I take offense, px.  The friends Cantor has drinks with every night after work are certainly qualified as "other people."

My apologies your majesty. I never intended to offend you.

Indeed, hedge fund managers, oil magnates and Rupert Murdoch, all qualify as "other people".
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 02:18:49 AM »

Cantor has lost all relevance in these talks. Get him out of there, maybe something will actually be resolved.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 03:56:33 AM »

Cantor could care less what happens. He wins money if the U.S. defaults.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 03:59:33 AM »

Cantor could care less what happens. He wins money if the U.S. defaults.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

lol
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

lol

After the meeting did he spoke to the phone with Bibi about how Big Bad Obama hates teh Jews?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies