Obama storms out of debt ceiling talks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:52:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama storms out of debt ceiling talks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Obama storms out of debt ceiling talks  (Read 5181 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
« edited: July 13, 2011, 07:24:32 PM by Bacon King »

Just heard it on the Eric Ericson talk radio show. Here's a link to a news story: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/58937.html

From what I've gathered, apparently after two hours of the talks, Obama chewed Cantor out for five minutes straight, leaving him speechless, then Obama subsequently declared he'd "take this to the American people" got out of his chair and abruptly exited, slamming the door behind him.

(edit- found better article)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »

hells yeah
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »

Cantor is a little siht so I'm amused by this.

That being said, it doesn't help things at all.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »

Awesome!  Obama finally reveals he has a spine of steel underneath his suit and tie, and knows how to fight.  Let's hope he sticks to his guns when August 2 comes around, and calls the GOP bluff.  
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »

The big highlights:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »

I'm concerned for Obama.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »

Why?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:59:09 PM »

If Obama does not want to sign a short term measure, he can shut it all down. The GOP will not agree to tax increases without real entitlement reform, and should not, and so far, none is in the offing.  The GOP might as well shut down as a party rather than agree to tax increases that will sustain the feds spending at 24% of the GDP, rather than what the debt commission proposed, which was around 20% (as opposed to 18% now). 

I don't know what Obama's storming out accomplished.  That is hardly a way to instill confidence.

In the meantime, an article came out in the WSJ today about how if we want to leave entitlements in place, the middle class is going to have to pay more taxes - a lot more. It is either that, or increase the federal income tax rate on those earning more than $250,000 per year to something like 77%. No reputable economist thinks that it economically practicable, and of course it is not politically possible. I will start a new topic on the WSJ article.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:00:29 PM »

This reminds me of that pushover teacher back in middle school days that all the kids take advantage of and then loses his mojo by the end of the semester and starts handing out ridiculous levels of discipline completely out of character and equally as ineffective.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 08:01:11 PM »

Go, Obama, go.  Take it to the American people.  Finally.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »

Cantor has been out of line since the beginning, but Obama's only made it worse by this incident.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »

Good. Cantor just may be the most brain dead person in Congress. I wish Obama would do this to him every day.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »

If Obama does not want to sign a short term measure, he can shut it all down. The GOP will not agree to tax increases without real entitlement reform, and should not, and so far, none is in the offing.  The GOP might as well shut down as a party rather than agree to tax increases that will sustain the feds spending at 24% of the GDP, rather than what the debt commission proposed, which was around 20% (as opposed to 18% now). 

I don't know what Obama's storming out accomplished.  That is hardly a way to instill confidence.

In the meantime, an article came out in the WSJ today about how if we want to leave entitlements in place, the middle class is going to have to pay more taxes - a lot more. It is either that, or increase the federal income tax rate on those earning more than $250,000 per year to something like 77%. No reputable economist thinks that it economically practicable, and of course it is not politically possible. I will start a new topic on the WSJ article.

That's fine.  But then don't threaten to crash the economy.  At least McConnell has found a reason not to crash it even if it is just political damage to the GOP.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »

That's fine.  But then don't threaten to crash the economy.  At least McConnell has found a reason not to crash it even if it is just political damage to the GOP.

If Obama won't agree to a short term measure given the impasse, it seems to me he is the one who will kill a debt ceiling increase, and then we can litigate how the feds will slash a third of their spending. I think Obama got pissed and lost his cool, because he realized that in the end, he has no choice but to take Cantor's medicine on this. We shall see.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »

I saw the comments; why are Politico readers so right-wing?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 08:41:48 PM »

Just heard it on the Eric Ericson talk radio show. Here's a link to a news story: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/58937.html

From what I've gathered, apparently after two hours of the talks, Obama chewed Cantor out for five minutes straight, leaving him speechless, then Obama subsequently declared he'd "take this to the American people" got out of his chair and abruptly exited, slamming the door behind him.

(edit- found better article)

out of character.  I saw the thread title and was about to post a long diatribe about how I've finally come around.  I've warmed up to the idea of a debt ceiling increase, after listening to about seven or eight non-partisan think tank talking heads.  Incremental is okay too.  (I still think serious spending cuts are in order.)

But this temper tantrum isn't helping the economy and it certainly isn't helping Obama with the swing vote crowd, especially those of us who voted for him in 2008 because we bought into his "new tone in Washington" rhetoric.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »

Considering the abuse he's taken, he's acted like a prince. I'm not talking about comments from the public. That comes with the territory, even though FOX news famously told people it was unpatriotic to criticize president bush. The way this Congress has behaved toward Obama has been disgraceful. The GOP truly has no shame.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »

Now please keep in mind, America: it's the Republican leadership that's acting childish, not the individual that stormed out of negotiations.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 09:13:44 PM »

I don't think anyone's acting childish. Maybe someone is acting human instead of like some sort of emasculated beast. Really, though. Obama is going to be called childish after Republican lawmakers walked out on him at least twice.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »

Considering the abuse he's taken, he's acted like a prince.

A prince?!  A certain Danish prince, maybe, when he went mad upon learning that his father the king was murdered by his uncle who was his mother's lover.  But it's not the hallmark of most princes.  And it's certainly not the hallmark of a two-term president.  Obama has been using some harsh language lately.  It's not the Obama I voted for, I can tell you that.

Would Reagan act like this?  Would Clinton?  Would Dubya?  Hell no.  Reagain would smile and say, "There you go again."  Clinton would ask him to come to the oval office where a stripper would be waiting to calm his nerves.  George Bush would say, "Fuck you, I don't have to answer that question.  Hey, Can't-Oh, you want another line of coke?  I can get my girl Condi to bring some more if you need to chill out."  No, two termers don't act the way Obama has been doing lately.

It's disappointing.  And I'm no partisan hack.  I'm part of that narrow slice of the electorate who decides which candidate becomes President.  I voted for Clinton, Bush, and Obama.  And I can tell you that I expected more of Obama.  A lot more.  He's usually a very smooth talker.  The going gets rough sometimes.  Obama's a big boy.  He knows this.  Or he should.  There are good times, and there are bad times.  It's like a marriage.  If you want this one to last more than four years, then you better start treating me like a lady.  

Get thee to a nunnery!

That said, I will admit that I have come around to the idea that a debt-ceiling increase is in our best interest.  I assume that most Republicans, whether they'll admit it publicly or not, have as well.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »

I'd be pissed too when a party not only has half its membership considering you to be an illegitimate leader, but when that party pushes for an end to free and fair elections to instead have candidates effectively hand-picked by corporations, which stifle any effective opposition with lies and smears (if the 2004 campaign was even slightly honest, Kerry would have won unanimously), touting freedom from government but wanting a camera on every streetcorner and to execute women who want to terminate their pregnancy, and have no greater desire than to extend the fist of war to any foreign nation they please. It all comes back to corporatism. The Republican Party hasn't cared about the people since Nixon; only about getting elected and making money. Starting wars is an effective way to make money, from not only oil in Arabia but the money made from the military-industrial complex. Eisenhower warned us about the danger of an alliance between big business and the war hawks; we have ignored that warning, and it has gotten us into a worse financial situation than ever. Those who dissent are ignored by the right-wing mainstream media, or tarred as a traitor like Manning, one of the greatest heroes in the last 10 years. The party whose policies have created the greatest income gap since before the Great Depression, who have done anything possible to help get more cash into CEO's pockets while crushing unions who might lead to the CEO's personal income being 5% lower (and still several hundred times greater than their average employee), and have crippled American industry with free-trade agreements with countries with poor labor policies, allowing them to not only exploit them but take jobs from American workers, all while pushing the guise of fiscal responsibility. The modern Republican party is the most dangerous since the CPSU of the early 1960's.

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power."

- Benito Mussolini
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »

If Obama won't agree to a short term measure given the impasse, it seems to me he is the one who will kill a debt ceiling increase, and then we can litigate how the feds will slash a third of their spending. I think Obama got pissed and lost his cool, because he realized that in the end, he has no choice but to take Cantor's medicine on this. We shall see.

Won't agree to a short-term measure because it's part of a terrible deal.  If the Republican say no taxes + give us these spending cuts or we'll tank the economy and Obama says F your threats and Republicans tank the economy, good luck with the response.  Though if this story is an indication, maybe the media will shepherd the GOP through it.  There's no story.  Sounds like Obama was concluding a meeting for the day, Cantor was being a nuisance so Obama gave him some crap, then called it a day. They're meeting tomorrow anyway.  Who gives a ?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 09:41:53 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2011, 09:43:52 PM by Marokai Sovereign »

Now please keep in mind, America: it's the Republican leadership that's acting childish, not the individual that stormed out of negotiations.

On nearly every single contentious issue in his presidency Obama has tried to make compromising deals and include Republican support. Republicans however have tried to grand stand and block every single thing they can regardless of their past or even present opinions on the issue. Obama and the  Democrats attempted to meet the Republicans at nearly all of their requests in cuts. At one point they were offered 83% of what they wanted, basically, including cuts to Medicare and Social Security, and they turned it down, demanding even more.

Obama's been a saint to put up with the garbage month after month after month. I can hardly blame him for being exasperated.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/top-republicans-walk-vp-bidens-debt-talks/story?id=13917319
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies