Obama storms out of debt ceiling talks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:52:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama storms out of debt ceiling talks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Obama storms out of debt ceiling talks  (Read 5183 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »

I don't lecture you because I'm indeed the last person to do something like that. I just pointed out something.

Well, again, you're not really pointing out anything.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hmmm...I must be thinking of something else then. I remember the paying for sex example though: I believe opebo pointed out that, as a hedonist, you frequent prostitutes.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »

Hmmm...I must be thinking of something else then. I remember the paying for sex example though: I believe opebo pointed out that, as a hedonist, you frequent prostitutes.

I criticized opebo for his preference of women that look like underage boys, not for the fact that he frequents prostitutes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »

I criticized opebo for his preference of women that look like underage boys, not for the fact that he frequents prostitutes.

But you made a joke about someone else having to pay for sex in another thread.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »

But you made a joke about someone else having to pay for sex in another thread.

Can you PM the actual quote? I think we hijacked this thread long enough.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »

This is a discussion about the debt ceiling, not opebo's preference in women.

Although, I was just laughing hysterically, because I accidentally typed opebo's name wrong and it would not have been really flattering to opebo.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148454/Debt-Ceiling-Increase-Remains-Unpopular-Americans.aspx

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/562535/201102081909/Nyet-On-Debt.aspx

Mr. president, please make this an issue with the American people. Just make sure you listen, rather than tell them what you want them to think.

Even Gallup cannot hide how unpopular it is, the same pollster that highly off in the presidential race last go around.

Nope.  Tell them what to think because people (understandably) have no idea what the debt ceiling is or what will happen if it's not raised.  Better than listening to them say "Don't you dare raise the debt ceiling" and then in a month listening to them rant about "Why the f didn't you raise the debt ceiling?!"
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148454/Debt-Ceiling-Increase-Remains-Unpopular-Americans.aspx

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/562535/201102081909/Nyet-On-Debt.aspx

Mr. president, please make this an issue with the American people. Just make sure you listen, rather than tell them what you want them to think.

Even Gallup cannot hide how unpopular it is, the same pollster that highly off in the presidential race last go around.

Nope.  Tell them what to think because people (understandably) have no idea what the debt ceiling is or what will happen if it's not raised.  Better than listening to them say "Don't you dare raise the debt ceiling" and then in a month listening to them rant about "Why the f didn't you raise the debt ceiling?!"

Left-wing in a nut-shell, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for being stereotypical.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 11:54:53 AM »

They're meeting again today......it will be interesting to read about the tone.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »

Reid says Cantor should be kicked out of the talks.........I agree, let Boner handle it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »

Boner doesn't control his caucus, Cantor does.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »

Could you imagine this situation happening in reverse with Nancy Pelosi and House democrats threatening to force a default and shut the government down unless the republican president and senate agree to reinstate the top marginal tax rates of the 1950's?  Yeah, I can't either.  The outcry from the right would be absolutely deafening.  Where is that outcry from the center-left today?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_otfwl2zc6Qc/ScONJR3ThMI/AAAAAAAAJgA/jlV_wmAhNKU/s1600-h/tax.bmp
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »

Left-wing in a nut-shell, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for being stereotypical.

It's ridiculous to try and be faux populist about this and act all offended when someone tells you what is factually correct.

The debt ceiling increase can be as unpopular as all get-out, but that doesn't change the fact that it must be raised. There's no getting around this. Even under the craziest of budgets, even under the Republicans' own budget, it must be raised. That's because raising the debt ceiling has nothing to do with more spending, it has to do with committments that have already been made, money that has already been spent.

Leadership is not about bending to the fickle whims of the public whenever the wind starts to blow in one direction or another, it's about doing the right thing and doing what has to be done. This is practically housekeeping, it's a routine issue that rarely generated much to-do in the past. It shouldn't be an issue because it's a basic necessity and something that has to be raised (no matter what) unless we want a world economic crash.

Also, if you want to play up to the fickle whims of the public just remember it can be used against you just as quickly. Since you're all about "the people" I guess you're totally cool with additional taxes on the wealthy, since that has widespread public support..
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 02:11:04 PM »

Unless we want our credit rating cut, default on our loans and see our stock market tumble 1500 points, we will raise the debt limit. This isn't the time to play politics, and while raising it is unpopular, most of the public doesn't understand what is at stake.

We raise it now, cut spending and perhaps raise taxes on the upper income brackets. We shouldn't raise them on the midde class because frankly, they are hurting enough and lack any disposable income to speak of. Either way, we have to reign in our spending and debt or we will be in serious trouble.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »

Unless we want our credit rating cut, default on our loans and see our stock market tumble 1500 points, we will raise the debt limit. This isn't the time to play politics, and while raising it is unpopular, most of the public doesn't understand what is at stake.

So when did you turn into a leftist and start hating 'the people'?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 02:19:06 PM »

So when did you turn into a leftist and start hating 'the people'?

I've always hated the people, Marokai. You didn't know that? Wink

As for being a leftist, this is more common sense than anything. If we can stop trying to put politics and ideology over it and study a little economics, more of the public would be in favor of raising the limit. it must be done! For the good of the people.

How's that for a little populism? Tongue
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »

Five pages in, and this hasn't been posted yet?

I find your lack of GIS skills...

...disturbing.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 02:36:03 PM »

GIS, bm?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »

Google Image Search...you know, the service you like to use when you're looking up your high school buddies, Sabre-tooth tiger and Mammoth.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »

Google Image Search...you know, the service you like to use when you're looking up your high school buddies, Sabre-tooth tiger and Mammoth.

Ah, I just used it to look up bm..........ick.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2011, 02:41:52 PM »

Ah, I just used it to look up bm..........ick.

You know I just float around...some days I sink to the bottom.  Other days I'm all in pieces and am just a huge mess.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »

But it might be possible to make a deal with Boner's caucus.  Cantor's caucus thinks compromise is for wimps.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »

Let's try that again.

Five pages in, and this hasn't been posted yet?:

If this img link dies too, so help me I'll exit this thread the same way.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »

Anyone else think the McConnell escape hatch will pass and then the country immediately forgets this whole thing happened?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »

Let's try that again.

Five pages in, and this hasn't been posted yet?:

If this img link dies too, so help me I'll exit this thread the same way.

I agree, the federal government upgrading to Photobucket Pro would help the debt substantially.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2011, 02:06:22 AM »

I give up.  Selfish image hosts need to DITH.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies