Voting Requirements Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Voting Requirements Amendment  (Read 7424 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2004, 05:05:20 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2004, 05:13:16 PM by Senator StevenNick »

Section One
A member of the Atlas Forum must obtain 100 posts before becoming eligible to vote in the Atlas Fantasy Elections.  A Forum Member must obtain 250 posts before becoming eligible to run for senate and 500 posts before becoming eligible to run for President.

Section Two
In order to vote in the Fantasy Elections, a registered voter must have posted at least 25 times in the Fantasy Elections board between elections.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 05:06:53 PM »

I PM'd States about something similar to this. Maybe you should include something about a minimum number of posts between elections to be eligible to vote. 25 might work.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 05:15:05 PM »

I PM'd States about something similar to this. Maybe you should include something about a minimum number of posts between elections to be eligible to vote. 25 might work.

Good idea.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 05:18:29 PM »

Hmmm, I might support a move up to 50, but 100...?

Also, does this effect people already registered?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 05:22:56 PM »

50 posts isn't alot. 100 is enough where you can get it quite easily, week or so. Also, the 25 posts between elections could be 100 posts, considering there are about 60 days between elections and a decent post rate is 3 a day it isn't to much to ask. It'll will keep people who haven't been active for as many as four months from voting.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 05:34:56 PM »

Section Two
In order to vote in the Fantasy Elections, a registered voter must have posted at least 25 times in the Fantasy Elections board between elections.[/i]

Is that 25 posts restricted to just the fantasy elections board, or the whole board in general?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 05:49:27 PM »

Section Two
In order to vote in the Fantasy Elections, a registered voter must have posted at least 25 times in the Fantasy Elections board between elections.[/i]

Is that 25 posts restricted to just the fantasy elections board, or the whole board in general?

Under my proposed amendment it would be restricted to the fantasy boards, but that's certainly negotiable.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 05:51:21 PM »

Would Senator Stevennick please answer Harry's concerns, I have the same.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 05:53:07 PM »

Section Two
In order to vote in the Fantasy Elections, a registered voter must have posted at least 25 times in the Fantasy Elections board between elections.

Under my proposed amendment it would be restricted to the fantasy boards, but that's certainly negotiable.

I would suggest taking the requirement to the whole board, but possibly raising the requirement, in order to accomodate those who post a lot on the other boards, but only post on the fantasy boards to vote in elections.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 05:53:41 PM »

This looks good.

We'll need an active SoFA for this. Not that Fritz isn't, but he'll need to keep it up.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 06:06:14 PM »

This NEEDS to be passed before the next elections.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2004, 06:07:52 PM »

This NEEDS to be passed before the next elections.
I'll aggree with that.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2004, 06:21:20 PM »

I don't see why it shouldn't be applied to those already registered. it's not like it is difficult to get 82 or less more posts.

Also, any senators without 250 posts, would they get kicked out?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2004, 06:25:02 PM »

I don't see why it shouldn't be applied to those already registered. it's not like it is difficult to get 82 or less more posts.

Also, any senators without 250 posts, would they get kicked out?

Well, the language of the amendment says that a member of the forum needs 250 posts to be eligible to run for senate.  Should any senators be elected in these elections who do not have 250 posts would need to obtain 250 posts before he or she could be eligible to run for reelection.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 01:53:06 AM »

I can agree with the standards requiring a certain amount of posts to run for office. However, I can NOT agree with a standard REQUIRING someone to post a certain amount of times between elections. Many times we have lurkers who merely read what we write and choose not to participate on that level. I can understand that and I definately respect that. My example for this is NCLib. Although he DOES post in the regular forum I have never seen him post in the fantasy section. Voting should be free for all who meet the fairly easy requirements. We should not start "posting requirements" or "activity requirements" in order to vote. In my opinion this is voter suppression and does not help Atlasia whatsoever.  I am strongly against that section of this amendment. I can swallow the rest of it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 01:58:28 AM »

Agreed.  All adding a posting requirement will do is ensure that Atlasia will not grow.  Also, while I can support going to a 50-100-250 levels, 100-250-500 seems excessive.  Possibly an activity requirement to run for office, but not for voting.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 04:03:58 AM »

I can NOT agree with a standard REQUIRING someone to post a certain amount of times between elections. Many times we have lurkers who merely read what we write and choose not to participate on that level. I can understand that and I definately respect that. My example for this is NCLib. Although he DOES post in the regular forum I have never seen him post in the fantasy section. Voting should be free for all who meet the fairly easy requirements. We should not start "posting requirements" or "activity requirements" in order to vote. In my opinion this is voter suppression and does not help Atlasia whatsoever.  I am strongly against that section of this amendment.
Enthusiastic applause from a longhaired bespectacled spectator interrupts Senate proceedings.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 08:02:04 AM »

Section Two

Asking Fritz (or any other SoFA) to impose the above is completely ridiculous, as it would require him to count peoples posts on the Fantasy boards, that is too much work.

As for the questions as to the fate of present voters - as it is worded, this amendment means that all those not above 100 votes on the forum who are registered voters would have their registration invalidated
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 03:20:36 PM »

As for the questions as to the fate of present voters - as it is worded, this amendment means that all those not above 100 votes on the forum who are registered voters would have their registration invalidated

A way to avoid this would be to just have a deadline...
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2004, 03:45:11 PM »

Section Two

Asking Fritz (or any other SoFA) to impose the above is completely ridiculous, as it would require him to count peoples posts on the Fantasy boards, that is too much work.

I'm also against voting requirements limited to the fantasy board. As long as they post on the forum, i consider them active enough. StevenNick needs to change that part.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2004, 06:43:29 PM »

I agree with the comments of my fellow Senators, 100 posts is excessive.  50 is enough.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2004, 06:50:07 PM »

I agree with the comments of my fellow Senators, 100 posts is excessive.  50 is enough.
How is 100 excessive. 100 posts takes, maybe, two weeks tops to get.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2004, 06:51:58 PM »

How is 100 excessive. 100 posts takes, maybe, two weeks tops to get.
If you are very vocal and post regularly it will take two weeks to get.  It took me months to get to 100 posts because I did not feel confident in posting until I was intimately familiar with Atlasia.  The same is true with many other lurkers out there.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2004, 06:52:24 PM »

I agree with the comments of my fellow Senators, 100 posts is excessive. 50 is enough.

I completely agree.  100 posts is too much.  In America, if you're 18, you can vote, without being informed of the candidates.  I do believe people should be informed of fantasy politics, but a degree of real life needs to be maintained.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2004, 06:55:47 PM »

I agree with the comments of my fellow Senators, 100 posts is excessive. 50 is enough.

I completely agree.  100 posts is too much.  In America, if you're 18, you can vote, without being informed of the candidates.  I do believe people should be informed of fantasy politics, but a degree of real life needs to be maintained.

I agree and as I stated earlier. In real life you do not have to be active in political campaigns or the like to be eligible to vote. This amendment is almost like voter suppression.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies