Is North Dakota a State?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:53:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is North Dakota a State?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is North Dakota a State?  (Read 1421 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »

Ran across this today and had to share it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14142111

Of course, the constitutional lawyer quoted in the piece is right.  But, wouldn't it be funny if North Dakota really were an independent Territory until at least the state constitutional amendment is put in front of the voters in November of next year?

On the minus side, we would have to retroactively subtract our electoral votes from the last 30 presidential races, kick our three guys out of Congress and adjust Congressional voting records accordingly.  Smiley

On the plus side, as an independent Territory, I'm fairly sure that North Dakota would have to be reckoned the world's third largest nuclear power.  So, here is the list of things we want...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »

Technically, if North Dakota were not a State then it would revert to its previous status as an organized incorporated Territory, so the Dakota Territorial Militia wouldn't be in control of the nukes.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »

Wasn't Ohio technically not a state until the 1950s or something?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »

Technically, if North Dakota were not a State then it would revert to its previous status as an organized incorporated Territory, so the Dakota Territorial Militia wouldn't be in control of the nukes.

Ah.  Well...shucks.  I had a nice list of demands worked up.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:06:25 PM »

I'm going to encourage my parents to vote against this, just because I like the novelty of this current status, which I'm disappointed I never learned of while living there.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:26:18 AM »

This should be used as an opportunity to merge with South Dakota. Then we can admit Puerto Rico as the 50th state to maintain the balance.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »

I would do everything I could to avoid merging with South Dakota, CultureKing.  I know there would be some upsides.  We'd get to share in their huge tourism revenues, and we could finally just call ourselves "Dakota," as we've mysteriously wanted to for many years.  But the downside, for me, offsets all these potential advantages.  South Dakota politicians are...what's the right word?...crazy.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »

Ran across this today and had to share it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14142111

Of course, the constitutional lawyer quoted in the piece is right.  But, wouldn't it be funny if North Dakota really were an independent Territory until at least the state constitutional amendment is put in front of the voters in November of next year?

On the minus side, we would have to retroactively subtract our electoral votes from the last 30 presidential races, kick our three guys out of Congress and adjust Congressional voting records accordingly.  Smiley

On the plus side, as an independent Territory, I'm fairly sure that North Dakota would have to be reckoned the world's third largest nuclear power.  So, here is the list of things we want...

If North Dakota was not a state they would lose their two senators and their representation in the House... but would no longer pay Federal Income tax.....

I wonder if it was put to a referendum which option they would choose... statehood... or no income tax?

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »

If North Dakota was not a state they would lose their two senators and their representation in the House... but would no longer pay Federal Income tax.....

I wonder if it was put to a referendum which option they would choose... statehood... or no income tax?

Actually, that would not be the case.  The non-payment of Federal income tax by residents of the territories is by law, not the constitution and the Internal Revenue Code names the territories it applies to by name and not surprisingly the Territory of Dakota is not among those named, nor is Wake Island, Palmyra Island, or any of other minor outlying island possessions of the United States.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »

So, Bush actually didn't win then?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2011, 06:32:15 PM by Ohne Romney »

Why didn't Bush win when he had 268 electoral votes and Gore 267?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »

Why didn't Bush win when he had 268 electoral votes and Gore 267?

Thought Gore hit 268, off the top of my head. My mistake.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies