Is North Dakota a State? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:06:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is North Dakota a State? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is North Dakota a State?  (Read 1436 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: July 14, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »

Ran across this today and had to share it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14142111

Of course, the constitutional lawyer quoted in the piece is right.  But, wouldn't it be funny if North Dakota really were an independent Territory until at least the state constitutional amendment is put in front of the voters in November of next year?

On the minus side, we would have to retroactively subtract our electoral votes from the last 30 presidential races, kick our three guys out of Congress and adjust Congressional voting records accordingly.  Smiley

On the plus side, as an independent Territory, I'm fairly sure that North Dakota would have to be reckoned the world's third largest nuclear power.  So, here is the list of things we want...
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »

Technically, if North Dakota were not a State then it would revert to its previous status as an organized incorporated Territory, so the Dakota Territorial Militia wouldn't be in control of the nukes.

Ah.  Well...shucks.  I had a nice list of demands worked up.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »

I would do everything I could to avoid merging with South Dakota, CultureKing.  I know there would be some upsides.  We'd get to share in their huge tourism revenues, and we could finally just call ourselves "Dakota," as we've mysteriously wanted to for many years.  But the downside, for me, offsets all these potential advantages.  South Dakota politicians are...what's the right word?...crazy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies