Rick Perry's platform: God will fix the economy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:38:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rick Perry's platform: God will fix the economy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rick Perry's platform: God will fix the economy  (Read 5600 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »

We've previously noted Texas Gov. Rick Perry's plans for The Response, a stadium prayer meeting next month, and the various extremist pastors who have signed on to the event. Now remarks that Perry delivered to a group of evangelicals in May in preparation for The Response have been released, and they provide an interesting look at his worldview.

First flagged by the Dallas Morning News, Snopes has posted the transcript of the remarks here (I've asked Perry's office to confirm the transcript is accurate and will update if I hear back).

In the most interesting section of the remarks, Perry lists various problems facing America and, instead of offering policy prescriptions, he says he would simply hand things over to the Lord:

I tell people, that "personal property" and the ownership of that personal property is crucial to our way of life.

Our founding fathers understood that it was a very important part of the pursuit of happiness. Being able to own things that are your own is one of the things that makes America unique. But I happen to think that it's in jeopardy.

It's in jeopardy because of taxes; it's in jeopardy because of regulation; it's in jeopardy because of a legal system that’s run amok. And I think it's time for us to just hand it over to God and say, "God, You’re going to have to fix this." ...

I think it's time for us to use our wisdom and our influence and really put it in God's hands. That's what I'm going to do, and I hope you'll join me.

http://www.salon.com/news/2012_elections/?story=/politics/war_room/2011/07/14/perry_politics_pulpit
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:23:52 PM »

It worked for Dubya.......oh, wait........
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »

I'd say our economy was in a hell of a lot better shape in 2003 than it is now. Have you seen the CCI lately??
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »

At this rate, it's more likely than Obama fixing it...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »

If the economy turns out to be gay, then maybe divine intervention here can kill two birds with one stone!
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »

I'd say our economy was in a hell of a lot better shape in 2003 than it is now. Have you seen the CCI lately??

Our economy was in better shape after 2 years of Bush term than it was after 8?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 02:27:19 PM »

If the economy turns out to be gay, then maybe divine intervention here can kill two birds with one stone!

If our economy is gay, then it's a little too close to Canada's economy for my comfort.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »

What do you, guys, want? Cited Perry economic agenda is still much clearer than Romney agenda.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »

And only DeMint can fix recession, since he's the one, who started it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »

What do you, guys, want? Cited Perry economic agenda is still much clearer than Romney agenda.

http://mittromney.com/issues
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 02:40:07 PM »

Are those positions represented by Mitt 1994, Mitt 2002, Mitt 2008 or Mitt 2011?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »

If our economy is gay, then it's a little too close to Canada's economy for my comfort.

Eh...everyone knows Canada is a bottom.  No problem.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »

Are those positions represented by Mitt 1994, Mitt 2002, Mitt 2008 or Mitt 2011?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »

The positions outlined in Mitt Romney's platform address the economic challenges our nation faces, as well as foreign policy and health care. Mitt Romney has already held a strong record in these areas, from turning around the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002 to giving Massachusetts real health care reform several years later.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »

The positions outlined in Mitt Romney's platform address the economic challenges our nation faces, as well as foreign policy and health care. Mitt Romney has already held a strong record in these areas, from turning around the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002 to giving Massachusetts real health care reform several years later.

Amen!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 03:06:46 PM »

Somebody hasn't looked at a map recently.  Hopefully Alaska would get a reach around.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »

Somebody hasn't looked at a map recently.  Hopefully Alaska would get a reach around.

the phallic protuberance of southern ontario sticking into the soft wet spot between michigan and ohio?  I think you're reading too much into either his comments or your map.  Although, speaking of reach-arounds, michigan certainly looks like an eager hand just about to take control of the situation
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »

Have you taken a geography class? Alaska is clearly our reach around on Canada. 
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »

Romney has a strong record on foreign policy?

The vague goals in his economic platform seem to overlap quite a bit with Obama's.  Except for the vow to repeal national Romneycare.  (Give Obama time on that one.)  Why does Romney have nothing to say about the debt stand-off or Republican threats not to raise the debt ceiling?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »

The vague goals in his economic platform seem to overlap quite a bit with Obama's.  Except for the vow to repeal national Romneycare.  (Give Obama time on that one.)  Why does Romney have nothing to say about the debt stand-off or Republican threats not to raise the debt ceiling?
Oh, but he has:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/07/mitt-romney-breaks-silence-on-debt-ceiling-afghanistan-israel-iraq-troop-withdrawal-balanced-budget-amendment.html
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »

the phallic protuberance of southern ontario sticking into the soft wet spot between michigan and ohio?  I think you're reading too much into either his comments or your map.  Although, speaking of reach-arounds, michigan certainly looks like an eager hand just about to take control of the situation

Well played, sir.  I acquiesce to your superior knowledge of international economics and geography as it relates to gay anal sex.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »

Oh, but he has:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/07/mitt-romney-breaks-silence-on-debt-ceiling-afghanistan-israel-iraq-troop-withdrawal-balanced-budget-amendment.html

A start but there's more to know.

In advocating a balanced budget amendment, will Romney identify what spending cuts he'd make to keep balance with the tax cuts he calls for?  Presumably he'd make immediate spending cuts in the midst of our crisis?  And looking back to question the feasibility of functioning with such an amendment, will he say what spending he'd have cut to pay for stimulus in 2009?  To pay for the wars and Bush's tax cuts last decade?  And further, if the DeMint plan won't pass congress (and it won't), what does Romney advise his party do then in their impasse with the Democrats?  Vote no on raising the debt ceiling even if it means default?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »

I love how the ABC News URL on Romney reads like an Onion article. Then again, the truth about the guy is just that hilarious.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »

Amen!

So that's two Mitts!
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 05:19:35 PM »

Oh, but he has:

With the exception that Romney is full of hot air and will say whatever is necessary to win an election. This can be shown by his (failed) attempt to switch his image from "Pro-war moderate with cool hair" back when it was fashionable to "vaguely anti-war raging conservative with cool hair". That isn't even mentioning his inexplicable jump from "Pro-Choice liberal Republican" to "Pro-Life pandering Republican".

Romney offers absolutely nothing that I can't get from Obama except that his rhetoric doesn't match his actions.

Also, his shifts only demonstrate that he is attempting to rob policy positions from other candidates. If I want a candidate who will do everything to balance the budget and end the wars, I can vote for Ron Paul, with the bonus of knowing that unlike Romney, he will actually stick to his guns even if he is pressured to stop. If I want a candidate to thump bibles and push his religion on others, I can go for Rick Santorum. If I want a candidate with "real business experience", I can vote Herman Cain. If I want a moderate, I can vote Huntsman. Furthermore, none of the other candidates are willing to mock people with muscular dystrophy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSnnUC8-y4Y
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies