New Constitutional Convention Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:59:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Constitutional Convention Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Constitutional Convention Discussion  (Read 2797 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« on: December 12, 2004, 06:23:06 PM »

This is a thread for the discussion of the possibility of having a new constitutional amendment as Attorney General Peter Bell has brought up.

At this current juncture in time I have no opinion on whether or not the current constitution should be greatly amended or replaced with an entirely new constitution, however I think we can all agree that the current constitution does suffer from a number of faults.

If we are going to have a new constitutional convention, though, we need to do it right.  We need to have each region elect delegates to be sent to a continental congress that will draft a new constitution.  The new document would then need to be ratified by a vote of three or four regions.  These votes could be conducted by referendum or by regional legislatures.

And any new constitution would effectively render every bill, resolution, and amendment passed by this body null and void.  We would have to spend some time revoting on past bills that we wish to keep.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 06:31:11 PM »

I support the idea of a new Constitution. Peter Bell and Ernest seem to be good candidates for the head of the convention if we ever have one. I would say 3-5 members per region with representation from all the major parties required.

I think the regions should be allowed to decide for themselves how they would like to choose delegates.  Each regions governor could make the decision.  I would imagine that Peter Bell and Ernest would both be chosen by their respective districts to be delegates at any new constitutional convention.  However, I think any chairman of the convention should be decided by the delegates at the convention and not by any other body before the convention begins.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies