should there be a law that whenever somebody is wrongfully incarcerated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:47:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  should there be a law that whenever somebody is wrongfully incarcerated
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: should there be a law that whenever somebody is wrongfully incarcerated  (Read 1255 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »

that the people who put him/her behind bars (jury, prosecution, judge etc) all have to serve the same amount of time he wrongfully served in jail or if he was executed, then executed. Personally, I think people would think twice before convicting somebody like Julius Raffin.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:20:17 PM »

No, of course not, but greater care needs to go into making sure only the truly guilty are punished.   I also support these innocence projects.

(and it's Julius Ruffin, btw)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:30:32 PM »

No, but I do believe in compensation (substantial) for the victims and for, upon the the finding, an immediate erasure of their criminal record on the matter.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »

You're not related to a certain 'John Hoffman,' are you?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:26:25 PM »

You're not related to a certain 'John Hoffman,' are you?

Or an LBJ Revivalist?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »

If you wanted to make sure no one went to prison ever, that would be the way to do it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »

Perhaps.  The important lesson here is to make prison a more pleasant place - provide excellent living and learning facilities, and extremely high levels of security to make sure the violence and rape that is a normal part of prison life doesn't happen.  In other words spend many times the current budget, while at the same time greatly reducing the prison population by legalizing drugs, prostitution, etc.

If we spent a LOT more on prisons, and had a prison population about 1/3 what it is now, I think we could create salubrious, livable conditions which would make mistaken conviction less of an injustice than it is now.   The main reason unjust convictions are so horrible is they often lead to the death of the victim, through prison-murder, hiv infection from rape, etc.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:20:49 PM »

If you wanted to make sure no one went to prison ever, that would be the way to do it.

Pretty much. I know I sure wouldn't vote to convict anyone if there were any chance of me being imprisoned/killed. It could be Charles Manson & it still wouldn't matter.

With that said, I have thought about potentially punishing the prosecution for "frivolous prosecution" in instances where the case was outstandingly weak, but those that would probably need an acquittal to even be workable. If the person was convicted anyway, the case was probably strong enough for the jurors or judge.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:38:22 PM »

Perhaps.  The important lesson here is to make prison a more pleasant place - provide excellent living and learning facilities, and extremely high levels of security to make sure the violence and rape that is a normal part of prison life doesn't happen.  In other words spend many times the current budget, while at the same time greatly reducing the prison population by legalizing drugs, prostitution, etc.

If we spent a LOT more on prisons, and had a prison population about 1/3 what it is now, I think we could create salubrious, livable conditions which would make mistaken conviction less of an injustice than it is now.   The main reason unjust convictions are so horrible is they often lead to the death of the victim, through prison-murder, hiv infection from rape, etc.

this plus the NLRA should be expanded to include prisoners under its jurisdiction. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »

that the people who put him/her behind bars (jury, prosecution, judge etc) all have to serve the same amount of time he wrongfully served in jail or if he was executed, then executed. Personally, I think people would think twice before convicting somebody like Julius Raffin.

No. That's terrible. Some kind of large monetary compensation would work.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »

What is worse in this thread: the ridiculous op or the criminal coddlers? I sincerely hope that my cousin's murderer is not enjoying himself or freaking collective bargained.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »

What is worse in this thread: the ridiculous op or the criminal coddlers? I sincerely hope that my cousin's murderer is not enjoying himself or freaking collective bargained.

maybe he's a shop steward.  more seriously : when we are impacted personally our desire for vengeance goes way up, naturally.  is not the point of a liberal state to remove this id-force and create a neutral arbiter to deal with, among other things, unfortunate situations such as murder?  your cousin will never live again, regardless of whether or not his killer is currently watching television in air conditioning or toiling 70 hour weeks in some forced sweatshop, nor is it likely that such a juxtaposition entered his mind before he decided to settle whatever score he settled.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »

maybe he's a shop steward.  more seriously : when we are impacted personally our desire for vengeance goes way up, naturally.  is not the point of a liberal state to remove this id-force and create a neutral arbiter to deal with, among other things, unfortunate situations such as murder?  your cousin will never live again, regardless of whether or not his killer is currently watching television in air conditioning or toiling 70 hour weeks in some forced sweatshop, nor is it likely that such a juxtaposition entered his mind before he decided to settle whatever score he settled.

My cousin was a very pretty 26 year old women, who died because she was viciously beaten and her liver collapsed amongst several other organ failures.  I don't need to be lectured on how she will never be back or how whatever punishment will also not do that.  Also forgive me if I don't care for the plight of these type who do not have enough rec time. Actions have consequences. He erased her future and he should live a shallow existence.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 11:34:42 PM »

The only funny thing about that little joke is that the murderers last name is indeed Steward.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies