Do all Presidents fit their time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:04:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do all Presidents fit their time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do all Presidents fit their time?  (Read 1328 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »
« edited: July 16, 2011, 12:23:27 AM by Reaganfan »

It seems when you think back in American history, our eras and times are defined by our leaders.

The roaring twenties were defined as "Keepin' cool with Coolidge" and his wife clearly embraced the woman's fashion of the 1920s.

The 50s had the "Happy Days" with the "General" in the White House. The 60s defined change with three very significant U.S. Presidents, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon.

The 1970s were a general time of change, radicalization, and turbulence in America, and Watergate, Iran Hostage Crisis and the poor economy all contributed to that.

Reagan helped capture the "Family Ties" that brought together the "Jack and Diane" made-in-America feeling and the economic Wall Street Gordon Gecko atmosphere that made the 80s soar.

Clinton fit in to the nihilism-like feel of the 1990s and his improprieties only added to the realism.

My question is, do you think George Bush fit the time of 2001 to 2009? Does Barack Obama fit these times?

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »

Bush definitely fit in the 2000s. The U.S. got itself into a clusterf*** under his watch, and he wasn't very bright or capable. As for Obama, I guess he fits in the 2010s, since he portrayed himself as a reformer and Washington outsider at a time when huge amounts of people were disappointed with Washington. Also, Obama fits in well due to America's ability to transcend race during this time.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:32:35 AM »

Yes, I think everyone conforms to the styles of their eras.

Obama's attachment to his smartphone and self-hating smoking habit make him very 2010.  It's hard to really tell with a President because when we see them in public they're in uniform (suit and tie).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 05:10:26 AM »

Well, I’ll probably be the first of many to point out the 1950’s were a little more complicated than the “Happy Days” caricature, but so was “the General” so I guess it’s a wash. 

George W. Bush demonstrates why electing a person with blind faith, whether in religion, in a dogmatic ideology, or in Bush’s particular case, blind faith in the enduring greatness of America despite its underlying socio-economic problems, is a road to disaster.  His administration was oblivious to the limitations of its military because of a blind faith in the greatness of America.  It expanded the size and scope of government despite taking on huge military commitments because it was cocksure the good times would continue just the way they always have.  To doubt this was to be anti-American.  And this why I actually do feel like you could say his administration fit the times and people it represented to a certain degree.  Just replace cocksure military adventures with living beyond your means in general and replace blind faith in the American economy with blind faith in the value of your house always rising.  At this point I’d say we’re more aware of the foolishness of the past, but completely clueless of where to go from here.  It’s too early to tell, but maybe Obama represents that. 

You win this thread.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:56:56 AM »

I guess so, although Chester A. Arthur's dreadlocks phase seemed somewhat out of place.  And remember when Gerald Ford started wearing an Elizabethan ruff in the summer of '75?  That was weird.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »

All I needed to see was the John Travolta picture to know that this topic was complete.

By the way, Naso using the terms "nihilism" and "realism?" Yeah, that's believable.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »

By the way, Naso using the terms "nihilism" and "realism?" Yeah, that's believable.

Even better is the context of nihilism. Describing the 90s that way is something only Naso can do.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:46:08 PM »

Also, the Jack and Diane reference seems odd, considering John Mellencamp is a hardcore Democrat.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »

Also, the Jack and Diane reference seems odd, considering John Mellencamp is a hardcore Democrat.

This is Naso. He probably thinks "Pink Houses" is a patriotic song, just as his hero Reagan believed Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" was.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »

Quote this post if you knew it was a Naso thread just from the title.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »

Quote this post if you knew it was a Naso thread just from the title.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 01:18:58 PM »

The roaring twenties were defined as "Keepin' cool with Coolidge" and his wife clearly embraced the woman's fashion of the 1920s.

Yes, "Silent Cal" was definitely symbolic of the Roaring Twenties. I want to take Mike Naso's history class.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »

And remember when Gerald Ford started wearing an Elizabethan ruff in the summer of '75? 

Pics or it didnt happen Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 04:15:09 PM »

not just nihilism, but "nihilism-like feel".  so sorta nihilistic but not totally; nihilism with a dash of something else, or, even better, Nihilism With a Human Face.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »

specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 11:34:43 PM »

The idea of an era in terms of a decade or whatnot, is more or less a media fabrication - glued together with stereotypes and simplifications of the deeper trends of history. It's fairly natural for a president to stick to the trends and tropes of his time, if only to appear "in touch."

America has always had a populist thing going on - and the people expect the president to be like them in trivial ways. Forgetting that they usually come from elite families and elite educational institutions. They usually get their positions because they are unlike the average person, they have special skills and talents that get them into political office and keep them there. So unsurprisingly, most presidents work very hard to cultivate an image that puts them in the mainstream rather than appearing as members of the upper class, which they usually are.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies