Batman vs. Superman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Batman vs. Superman
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Batman vs. Superman  (Read 9127 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2011, 08:55:52 PM »

I've been wanting to put this up for a little bit. What are their positions? Is either a member of a party? What are their areas of strength? How do their alter-egos affect the election? All questions I hope can be answered by repsonses of some sort.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »

Batman wins in a landslide due to his popularity.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2011, 09:37:41 PM by RFK »

Batman wins in a landslide due to his popularity.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »

Batman in a landslide!

R: 532
D:    6

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:54:14 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2011, 07:56:21 AM by Ohne Romney »

I've been wanting to put this up for a little bit. What are their positions? Is either a member of a party? What are their areas of strength? How do their alter-egos affect the election? All questions I hope can be answered by repsonses of some sort.

Obviously, Batman is a Republican and Superman is a Democrat. One is a billionaire with a "necessary evil" attitude, the other is a journalist and do-gooder. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:15:32 AM »

Obviously, Batman is a Republican and Superman is a Democrat. One is a billionaire with a "necessary evil" attitude, the other is a journalist and do-gooder. Tongue

My thought as well.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2011, 12:42:28 PM by Cathcon »

Not quite sure how this would play out, but basically:
Batman wins the North-East and the old Rockefeller Republican states due to his roots. In New York, his roots as an established businessman, Upstate Conservative voters, and the Rudy Giuliani voters put Batman over the top. He wins the Libertarian West due to his anti-establishment-ness, wins Utah, Alabama, and Mississippi due to the fact that Superman has God powers, which can't be good for the religious folk. He wins Texas with his business-friendly economic plans.
Superman wins the rural Mid-West, the Southern parts of the Rust Belt who aren't going to vote for that yankee billionaire, the military states due to his faithful service to the US, and the Pacific West due to an overall more tolerante yet at the same time "All-American" message.

It's tricky as Libertarians could label either of the candidates as "fascists". Urban areas might vote Batman due to the fact that he's cleaning up the street, but he's also a source of fear. That's why DC is a tossup.

Blue: Batman (R-NY)-276 electoral votes
Red: Superman (D-KS)-159 electoral votes
NOTA: 3 electoral votes
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »

I like this. I shall give an indepth analysis when I get home!
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »

Wait, isn't Batman from New Jersey?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »

Blue: Batman
Red: Superman

Like I did with Bugs Bunny v. Mickey Mouse, I won’t give each candidate a political party outright and I’ll go state by state.

Also, I’ll assume we’re using Superman from before 2011 –because Superman renounced his American citizenship this year making him ineligible for the Presidency.

Lets say Congress –somehow—gets past the notion that Superman was born on another planet and makes him eligible for the Presidency.

Superman’s “origin” is in Kansas so put Kansas in the Superman column along with Nebraska and Oklahoma who are proud to have Superman as their neighbor.

Batman’s origin is Gotham City, which is based on Manhattan –New York votes for their billionaire friend. Bruce Wayne also owns some real estate in Connecticut and New Jersey –add those to the Batman column.

California, due to Christopher Nolan’s residency, was especially happy with Batman: The Dark Knight, so put that in the Batman column.

Even though Christopher Reeve, the original Superman, is from New York and fails to carry it –he does manage to carry Maine which is where “Superman” started his acting career.
Superman is often seen taking criminals guns and bending them –making him look tough on crime but anti-gun rights. West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania vote for Batman.

Batman is portrayed as mysterious, secretive and an enemy to transparency since he wears a mask, scaring off some liberals. Washington, Oregon, Massachusetts and Vermont fall into the Superman column.

Washington DC votes for Batman. If I’ll elaborate I’ll probably get infraction points.
My friend Peter is from North Carolina and he’d vote for Superman, so put Superman in the North Carolina column.

Superman is able to use his powers to quickly visit states such as Alaska and Hawaii. They go to the Superman column.

Michigan is home to Detriot, who’s crime rate needs some reeling in. They vote for the Dark Knight as their only hope.

Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and South Carolina are skeptical of Superman’s true loyalty –is it to America and Earth or to the Alien Krypton? They know they can count on Batman.
Texas, with its strong military tradition, respect Superman’s assistance to the military in recent years and they fall into the Superman column along with Arkansas, Colorado.

The Mormon’s claim that Superman is one of them. Utah goes for Superman.

Superman is for more social programs wanting to help the lowest of the low, while Batman’s “help yourself” attitude appeals to different groups of people. Montana, New Hampshire, Virginia, Idaho, Wyoming vote for Batman. Maryland, Delaware, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois vote for Superman.

North and South Dakota would be tossup states this election cycle –not because the polls are close but because everyone is undecided. They’re suspicious of Batman because of his mask and equally suspicious of Superman because of his loyalties. Ultimately, only the comic book nerds vote in each state leaving South Dakota to vote for Superman and North Dakota to vote for Batman.

Las Vegas. Home to gambling, addictions, prostitutes and white collar crime. They vote for Batman, hoping that he’ll be easier on them for money laundering.

Ohio and Indiana are much more receptive to Superman and doubt his loyalty much less than in the South and other states. Ohio votes for Superman by a large margin but his margin in Indiana is much smaller. They can both identify with “Smallville” and his hometown roots.

Florida –the Sunshine State—votes against the “Dark Knight.” Who wants that guy casting a shadow on their party?

The Coke Factory is in Georgia. I feel Superman would enjoy a Coke while Batman is more of a Pepsi kind of guy. Regardless, Superman would play to brands more than Batman would. Georiga goes for Superman.

Iowa and Missouri respect Superman’s hometown appeal –they vote for him.
Louisiana votes for Batman –not only because of their suspicions of Superman’s loyalty, but also because of Bruce Wayne’s endorsement of Batman and his investment in the Louisiana fish market.

Batman, realizing he is weak in Arizona and New Mexico, proposes high-tech ways to keep illegal immigrants out of the United States while proposing a moderate immigration policy platform. Superman’s immigration platform is extremely liberal and wants to include everyone in American society. Arizona and New Mexico vote for Batman.

Rhode Island votes for Batman. No one really questioned it.

The last state to be called on election night would be Colorado with its 9 Electoral Votes –basically putting the Presidency in Batman or Superman’s hands. Incumbent President Barack Obama refuses to endorse either saying he’s “more of a Spiderman fan” since Spiderman saved him on inauguration day…while former President George W. Bush endorses Superman (He thinks he is Superman) while H.W Bush endorses Batman (He saw himself as the Caped Crusader), Clinton endorses Batman (having lost a parent a young age), and Carter endorses Superman (He’s senile).

In the end, Colorado votes for Batman by a slim margin since Superman made less visits there due to Lex Luthor’s laboratory with kryptonite in it.

Blue: Batman: 271
Red: Superman: 267

Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 07:23:12 PM »

To add some more endorsements from other names besides the presidents.

Superman gets huge  endorsements from also Joe Liberman, Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, and John McCain. Mixed amount of endorsements from Hollywood

Batman endorsements come from Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, and tons of Hollywood biggest names
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »

So in other words it's a billionaire versus a reporter?

Hah, no contest.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »

Blue: Batman (R-NY)-276 electoral votes
Red: Superman (D-KS)-159 electoral votes
NOTA: 3 electoral votes

It's supposed to say 259 EVs for Superman. Otherwise, your map looks about right.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »

I think there's some questions as to how much the public knows about each of the heros in this scenario. Do people know their secret identities? If not, then factors such as Bruce Wayne being a billionaire wouldn't matter. And if no one knows Superman is an alien then that would probably not be an issue. (tis been a while since I've cared about Superman so I forget if that was supposed to be common knowledge or not) Also each run as independents (or are endorsed by factions of each party for various reasons). And as Batman is trying to maintain his secret identity he can't directly use his money to buy the election (though if he gets the right allies he can give money to their superPAC).

So if that's the case you have:

Batman - Tough on crime, intellectual, mysterious, (probably) mortal, good at having a plan for any situation (crazy prepared), sneaky, uses technology wisely.

Superman - Tough on crime, masculine, easy to identify (unless he's wearing glasses), (probably) immortal, good at using kind of bs super powers to fix any situation (cheats), fast, uses super powers wisely.

So what do these aspect cause with regards to resonating with voters?

Let us break up the electorate with the Pew Model:

Staunch Conservatives - Probably lean Superman due to the all American image he portrays. Some would be suspicious because he's not Jesus loving enough. But Batman looks like a devil so they can't go with him.

Main Street Conservatives - Lean Batman. Though some of the same complaints as Staunch Conservatives about Batman applies here, the MS Con skeptical view of government makes them more likely to support someone who shares their core value there.

Libertarians - Batman for sure. Superman would seem to much as a would be fascist dictator if he was given the power of the government willingly. Batman is the devil they don't know and plays into the man against the system mentality a lot of Libertarians have. Plus x-ray vision destroys any hope of privacy that they enjoy.

Disaffected - Even split. Both fear the amazing abilities of the candidates. They might view Superman as being likely to get us in a fight with a foreign country and Batman as being a tool of some mysterious special interest that they might not agree with. Low turnout here.

Post-Moderns - Lean Superman. And not just because the Ubermench is a post modern idea. Think that either candidate will be able to keep the country running but end up trusting Superman more as he's not as mysterious and even if a military conflict happened, would expect Superman to personally deal with it if he caused it.

New Coalition Democrats - Batman. Batman's intellect and problem solving ability is seen as better then that of Superman's and so they'd trust Batman more to fix the problems they feel the government can work on.

Hard-Pressed Democrats - Lean Batman. For some of the reasons the NC Dems do, but are less sold on him then they. But they do feel (wrongly) that this mysterious loaner might know some of the pain they encounter as why else would a man dress as a bat and go deal with the scum on the streets of Gotham? Also religion factors in here too and holds Batman to a lean instead of a strong.

Solid Liberals - Lean Superman. Though they appreciate Batman's fix it attitude to problems, they are very skeptical of Batman's elusive nature and as such just can't trust him to do things right. Superman's not great either as he'd be the combination of legal and physical power if elected. But he's so obvious about being a good guy (given the could of killed everyone on the planet if he wasn't) that they are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bystanders - Divided. Those that do vote end up voting on which costume they like more.

-----

The overall results would be a solid win for Batman (in blue):

Batman: 427
Superman: 111

(I hope I counted that up right)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 03:43:19 AM »

Mostly agree with Cathcon and Sinrick. Here is how I think it'd go.

Superman : 282
Batman : 256

As has been said, Batman is the urban candidate and wins most of urbanized States. The most conservative States also back him, while Superman takes the left-wing ones which are uncomfortable with Batman's methods. Superman also sweeps the plains and most of rural areas, as well as the rust belt which despises a billionaire like Wayne. In the end, narrow Superman win.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 02:00:52 AM »

Considering they are both jewish...
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »

No they aren't. Superman follows a Kryptonian religion. Batman is Catholic.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »

There is no way in Hell NC would go to Superman.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »

It's a joke Tongue

Goldman, Pealman, Bergman, Superman, Batman... get it XD
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »

Superman(Clark Kent)  (R-KS)
 Batman(Bruce Wayne) (D-NY)

This election would be rather close as it being a fight between urban liberals and small town conservatives with minorities being split.

Clark wins narrowly due to split minority vote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »

This election would be rather close as it being a fight between urban liberals and small town conservatives with minorities being split.

Have you read the rest of this thread?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »

Have you read the rest of this thread?

Yes I have and I just have a different view of things.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »

I think there's some questions as to how much the public knows about each of the heros in this scenario. Do people know their secret identities? If not, then factors such as Bruce Wayne being a billionaire wouldn't matter.

Uh yes it would.
Bruce Wayne could easily campaign for Batman and people would be none the wiser.
Larger Treasure Chest=More Resources

Just saying.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 04:05:12 PM »

I think there's some questions as to how much the public knows about each of the heros in this scenario. Do people know their secret identities? If not, then factors such as Bruce Wayne being a billionaire wouldn't matter.

Uh yes it would.
Bruce Wayne could easily campaign for Batman and people would be none the wiser.
Larger Treasure Chest=More Resources

Just saying.

I can imagine Bruce Wayne endorsing Superman just to throw people off, also playing dumb. "What, oh there's an election? Who're the candidates? ... Oh, uh, well I guess I like Superman better." or something to fit his playboy, non-caring image. On the other hand, both are from Gotham, so it'd probably make sense to have Wayne endorse his alter-ego.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2020, 01:08:33 AM »

Businessman Bruce Wayne (D-NJ) / Fmr. National Security Advisor Susan Rice (D-DC) ✓
Journalist Clark Kent (R-KS) / Governor Brian Sandoval (R-NV)
Businessman Michael Carter (L-DE) / Activist Adam Kokesh (L-IN)
Businessman Oliver Queen (G-CA) / Activist Ajamu Baraka (G-DC)

Wayne is a limousine liberal, hands down. Superman has always been apolitical/centrist (except in the Golden Age when he was a leftist), and he pretends to be a liberal journalist as Clark Kent, but if he ran for president he would be comparable to Eisenhower: internationalist moderate, but closer to GOP orthodoxy than Batman on things like gun control, abortion, and government overreach. He would distance himself from the Kent persona and declare Kansas his home state so he can be the Smallville candidate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies