District 4- questionable result
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:06:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  District 4- questionable result
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: District 4- questionable result  (Read 7212 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2004, 10:10:21 AM »

It would make the task of the SOFA pretty difficult, though. (Although I guess the thread might be locked at poll closing time, preventing later edits, to give the SOFA the time to count the ballots.)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2004, 10:12:11 AM »

It would make the task of the SOFA pretty difficult, though. (Although I guess the thread might be locked at poll closing time, preventing later edits, to give the SOFA the time to count the ballots.)

Yes. As long as the moderator agrees to be online at the exact time that the polls closed, to lock the thread, it would work.

Not to mention that if a ballot was edited after poll closing, we would know it anyway. If a ballot was deleted altogether, however, we wouldn't have legal proof that it was ever there, but we would have clear eyewitness accounts. Also, we would perhaps have, in the case of Demo Hawk's vote, posts from others who quoted his post.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2004, 10:28:27 AM »

Yes. As long as the moderator agrees to be online at the exact time that the polls closed, to lock the thread, it would work.

Not to mention that if a ballot was edited after poll closing, we would know it anyway. If a ballot was deleted altogether, however, we wouldn't have legal proof that it was ever there, but we would have clear eyewitness accounts. Also, we would perhaps have, in the case of Demo Hawk's vote, posts from others who quoted his post.
If tampering with your own ballot were entirely legal, we probably wouldn't have quotes and might not have eyewitnesses.
Of course we would be able to see if a ballot has been edited after polls close, but we might not know what the change was.
If the mod is online at the time, though, there's no problem. Maybe just give Fritz Moderating powers.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »

I would support the SOFA being added as a moderator, at least over the course of an election.

As I think about it, I'm undecided on this issue. I can see your point, allowing changing of votes opens up some bad possibilities. However, I feel that something needs to be done on this, still.

My main priorities for fixing this are to ensure that newbies and non-Americans have equal access to the right to vote (let's face it, the requirement to have your state of registration in your signature makes it disproportionately more likely that non-American ballots will be tossed out, as they are almost exclusively the only people who are affected by this requirement).
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2004, 10:48:17 AM »

Wait, wait...is this a joke? I really want to know if this was a planned joke. Democratic Hawk DELETED HIS VOTE and now wants to sue for his voting rights? I have a tough time taking this seriously at this point.
This is becoming crazy. While I could see the evidence when the post was there it is now deleted meaning that all the evidence is gone and thus there is no case. If I remember correctly Fritz did not count the vote because it was under scrutiny. So since the vote has been deleted and the vote was never counted there is now no evidence of any vote by Democratic 'Hawk' except for a few quotes. To say that quotes of that vote have the legal precident to be admitted into a court of law as evidence is completely asinine. Before the deletion of Democratic 'Hawk's' post the AFDNC and DemoHawk had a very good case going for them but now that the evidence has been deleted their is no evidence admissable in a court of law since the legality of using quotes as evidence is highly subject.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2004, 10:52:28 AM »

Well, if Fritz was willing to testify that the vote was there at the time the polls closed, I don't see why that wouldn't be enough evidence. Not to mention that many other witnesses can back him up, as well.

This is pretty much the definition of being legalistic and overly technical. You are admitting that the vote actually was there, but saying that we can't prove it. We all know it was there, and we have witnesses. In real world court cases, witnesses are plenty sufficient proof.

If someone sees a murder, but fails to catch it on video tape, is their testimony not accepted in court as valid?

I agree that the quotes are of flimsy legality, especially since they themselves could have been altered, but I highly doubt that anyone will question the eyewitness accounts of Fritz and many others.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2004, 01:35:18 PM »

I think some of teh suggestions here are beginning to give a little too much power to the SOFA, which is a little unpredecented, IMHO.

Actually, if I've understood correctly, I'm the only one with the power to decide elections. Tongue As moderator I can edit posts with votes and thus invalidating votes. Cheesy
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2004, 02:30:16 PM »

Ha, true enough.

Certainly it would be nearly impossible to not get caught, however, as the voter in question as well as others would call attention to such actions. But's it's crucial to have an unbiased moderator and you fit that description.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2004, 02:49:44 PM »

I could get caught, but what could you do about the actual election? If it was crucial I might be willing to sacrifice my position... Wink

Besides, you couldn't remove me directly, only Dave can do that...mouahaha, I have almost infinite powers! Cheesy Wink
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2004, 02:51:57 PM »

anyway, I'll reiterate that I'm not personally going to challenge the vote.  But if Democratic Hawk wants to, and he's told me he does, I'll support him in it.  But if Demohawk decides not to, or if he does and the SC rules against him, I'll concede.
There's no need for anyone to make any personal attacks on me regarding this.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2004, 02:53:56 PM »

anyway, I'll reiterate that I'm not personally going to challenge the vote.  But if Democratic Hawk wants to, and he's told me he does, I'll support him in it.  But if Demohawk decides not to, or if he does and the SC rules against him, I'll concede.

Well then let him come and speak for himself.  I haven't heard a peep from him.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2004, 02:54:33 PM »

There is ALWAYS need for personal attacks, silly!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2004, 02:56:57 PM »

If he is so angry, why hasn't anyone heard a word from him?  For that matter, why did he delete his vote?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2004, 02:58:52 PM »

If he is so angry, why hasn't anyone heard a word from him?  For that matter, why did he delete his vote?

We have heard a word from him; he posted here asking if he could challenge and ColinW told him absolutely not.
He also PMed and said he wanted to.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2004, 03:06:49 PM »

We have heard a word from him; he posted here asking if he could challenge and ColinW told him absolutely not.
He also PMed and said he wanted to.

I didn't see it.  At anyrate, I already talked to one of the Supreme Court Justices and he is siding with us.  Based on that, I think that it is an uphill battle for you guys.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2004, 03:11:46 PM »

I voted for Harry in District 4 (among with all others, being not too clear about the rules)

However, my vote was not counted because I edited it. Can I challenge this in the Supreme Court?

Dave

That's from the official voting booth, page 10.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2004, 03:43:36 PM »

We need airtight rules saying you may not edit or delete your POST in any election, or it will not count.  That way we won't ever have this problem.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2004, 03:53:45 PM »

We need airtight rules saying you may not edit or delete your POST in any election, or it will not count.  That way we won't ever have this problem.

I agree wholeheartedly. 

When I read the rules Gabu posted at the beginning of the page, that was what my clear impression of what they meant anyway.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2004, 05:47:35 PM »

We need airtight rules saying you may not edit or delete your POST in any election, or it will not count. That way we won't ever have this problem.

Rules!  Regulation!  BLAH!

*puts self in the 'no opinion' camp*
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2004, 01:50:27 AM »

Mr. Fresh, it is quite good to see you back.  :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies