State of the Forum Address-December
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:49:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  State of the Forum Address-December
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State of the Forum Address-December  (Read 2715 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2004, 09:01:34 PM »

President PBrunsel: My fellow Atlasians, today I can say that we have finally achieved the goal  of a less partisan nation, Despite close elections last weekend, our country is more strong and more united now than ever before. We have moved in a direction of national unity, and not partisan divides. Despite the charges of voter fraud, Senatorial scandals, questioned votes, and the disunity that comes from partisan campaigns, we are strong. These past midterm elections show that we can have peaceable and civil elections without the outbreaks of violence that plague other nations across our globe.

Now is the time for fiscal responsibility. Although we feel that our mass amounts of spending will help us as a nation, we can not feel good about passing new spending hikes today, for there costs will burden generations tomorrow. This is why I urge the Senate to pass the Balanced Budget Amendment when it is introduced the new Senate session. I implore all Senators to not think of ourselves, but to think of our grandchildren. We complain of having to pay our share of taxes into our monstrous debt, but think of the amount our grandchildren will have to pay if we do nothing to stop our ballooning national debt. If we stand back and do nothing, the $23,000 in taxes we have to pay to the debt will become $230,000 for our grandchildren, Do not let our grandchildren be forced into a mountain of red ink, but allow the Balanced Budget Amendment to be passed, and we can save our grandchildren from this terrible fate.

The Chinese Government continues to insult us. They feel that we have lost our will to fight and we will only issue warnings, and never act. I am here tonight to tell them that we will act, and they will not soon forget it. I have been advised by Secretary of Defense Ford to impose trade embargoes on the red Chinese. These opponents of freedom will learn that the strike of Atlasia is stinging and long, I ask the Senate to pass an embargo on all Chinese Products and services to be put into effect January 1st, 2005. This act will threaten the stability of China’s economy, threaten their currency, and lead them to act more civil when dealing with Taiwan, all of Asia, and Atlasia. My greatest dream is a free China. I urge the Senate to drop them from “most favored nation” nation statues until they apologize for their sinister statements and promise to let Taiwan live in peace. Let me say this to all the world, “ China shall be free .”

The fight for marijuana legalization will meet a veto from me. This intoxicating and dangerous substance must not be allowed to be used for anything more than medical purposes. It in no way helps expand the minds or physical form of our citizens and has no redeeming values. I will not put a few votes in February above the well being of the citizens. As an elected official, as the custodian of this nation, I will never allow marijuana to be legal. Marijuana causes brain dysfunctions, is a major player in our rise in auto fatalities, and has proven to not give anything but pain for a few moments of pleasure. What was once known as “The Devil’s Harvest” is still that, and it still is a threat to both the young and old of our nation.

People of Atlasia, we are in a world in transition. We must seize the moment to ensure that brutal regimes and dictators are behind bars, and not on thrones. We must make the world safer for liberty. Working closely with Secretary of State Liberty and now Gustaf, we are building a road map to peace in the Middle East. We must carry with us a large military, but hold out the olive branch. Peace before war, always. A nation always at war is never be free, but a nation threatened by war must be prepared. With the rising fears of terrorism it is important to keep a strong and well equipped military. Secretary Ford is putting all he can into making sure we have a strong military that is always prepared. We have wounded terrorism, but do not believe that we should not kick a wounded lion; we should smash its head. No one ever won a war by weakening it’s forces, and we can not win a war this way. The War on Terror can be won, but the tools must be given.

Freedom of speech, thought, and religion are what we have based our great Republic on. We must be a beacon of Liberty, or the world shall be doomed to the darkness of tyranny. My good Senators, embrace our sacred ideas, do not flee from them. People of Atlasia, believe in a better tomorrow, and think of nothing but making it better. We can not be a regressive society, we must continue to move forward if we are to remain the only global superpower. For all you citizens, to see me making this speech today is proof that any of you or any of your children may one day be here. We must always make the American Dream available.

May God Bless You and May God Bless Atlasia.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 12:16:19 AM »

I have been advised by Secretary of Defense Ford to impose trade embargoes on the red Chinese. These opponents of freedom will learn that the strike of Atlasia is stinging and long, I ask the Senate to pass an embargo on all Chinese Products and services to be put into effect January 1st, 2005.

This is a bit more ambitious than what I proposed, actually.  I will support the policy if this is what you want to do, but I was oly talking about tariffs, not an embargo,and only on textiles, not on all products and services.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 04:14:46 AM »

I have been advised by Secretary of Defense Ford to impose trade embargoes on the red Chinese. These opponents of freedom will learn that the strike of Atlasia is stinging and long, I ask the Senate to pass an embargo on all Chinese Products and services to be put into effect January 1st, 2005.

This is a bit more ambitious than what I proposed, actually.  I will support the policy if this is what you want to do, but I was oly talking about tariffs, not an embargo,and only on textiles, not on all products and services.

Umm, I recongnize that human rights and our standing in the world are important, but an embargo could easily lead to a full-scale war.  We would have to enforce it through military force, which would be a series encrouchment on the sovereignty of the Chinese government.  I must stringly advise against this move, Mr. President and Mr. Secretary.

Reactive measures are best here.  We should recongnize that the Chinese have the right to build up their military power and will do so as long as they see fit.  We must move to counter-act it.  Build alliances against it, but being to rash could lead to an undesirable result.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 05:14:18 AM »

Good. I was starting to write the impeachment charges. Wink
John

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 01:59:12 PM »

Good Speech BUD
you are the Man
We a House of Reps Thread
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 02:45:14 PM »

Is this a poem?

Good Speech BUD
you are the Man
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 02:50:17 PM »

Umm, I recongnize that human rights and our standing in the world are important, but an embargo could easily lead to a full-scale war.  We would have to enforce it through military force, which would be a series encrouchment on the sovereignty of the Chinese government.  I must stringly advise against this move, Mr. President and Mr. Secretary.

Reactive measures are best here.  We should recongnize that the Chinese have the right to build up their military power and will do so as long as they see fit.  We must move to counter-act it.  Build alliances against it, but being to rash could lead to an undesirable result.

I too was surprised that I had advised the president to impose an embargo.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 04:52:09 PM »

I thought my part on marijuana would be the most controversial. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 05:16:06 PM »

Mr President, you have a rare talent for giving an apparently solid appearance to pure wind, dressing up no achievements into a strong record, saying that a divisive administration into a uniting one and claiming that risking nuclear war is in our best interests.

I have been in politics for a long time and in all my years in this strange game of power, I have never seen a President make a speech quite like it.
I salute you're brass necked cheek and ask you a simple question: When is you're Administration going to get anything done?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 06:27:00 PM »

I agree with the Senator-elect. While we could militarily win a full-scale war with China, we must remember that in a war in which Weapons of Mass Destruction are used, we cannot truly win without a great cost to us. There is a consequence for every action, and a mobilized China has the resources, manpower, and brainpower to do great harm to us. In the Cold War, we always acted out of respect for what the Soviets could do to us, while still aiming to defeat them. We must do the same things now.

Mr. President, about the balanced budget, would you be inclined to raise taxes or cut spending to reach that point, and if you were to cut spending, what would you cut. Do you agree with Bono's Appropriations bill?

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 06:35:30 PM »

I wish to apologise to Al. I had an outburst at him a few minutes agao. I felt so ashamed of it that I destroyed the post.

I will finally begin to try to enact my economic plan as soon as the new session starts.

My school voucher plan will also be introduced when the new sessioin starts.

I just want to say it's tough enough being President without all this internal bickering and super partisanship of such people like Al. Little does he know that his biug government ideas hurt the very people, the blue collar workers, that he says he represents. His ideas on hig taxes will hurt the factory and mine worker and hurt his state of West Virginia more than help them. My policies are made for the man who strives to own his own business and join the Middle Class. I will never say I am a Populist, for no one anymore is a populist. The era of the Populist ended when William Jennings Bryan died. My polices are made for hard working Atlasians, the lazy ones can not benefit from my plan. I would never make an economic plan that would help those who do not want to work.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 07:00:40 PM »

Overall a good address. I strongly agree with the principles of fiscal responsibility and being a beacon of liberty to the world. I'm not sure you're right about marijuana. I believe we are a nation of personal responsibility, not a nation of governmental regulation. The highlight of the speech was the phrase "China shall be free." Indeed it shall

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 07:03:11 PM »

I wish to apologise to Al. I had an outburst at him a few minutes agao. I felt so ashamed of it that I destroyed the post.

I will finally begin to try to enact my economic plan as soon as the new session starts.

I just want to say it's tough enough being President without all this internal bickering and super partisanship of such people like Al. Little does he know that his biug government ideas hurt the very people, the blue collar workers, that he says he represents. His ideas on hig taxes will hurt the factory and mine worker and hurt his state of West Virginia more than help them. My policies are made for the man who strives to own his own business and join the Middle Class. I will never say I am a Populist, for no one anymore is a populist. The era of the Populist ended when William Jennings Bryan died. My polices are made for hard working Atlasians, the lazy ones can not benefit from my plan. I would never make an economic plan that would help those who do not want to work.
Don't be ashamed you need to defend yourself.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 07:36:21 PM »

Good Speech BUD
you are the Man

That about sums it up.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 08:48:03 PM »

*standing ovation*

An excellent speech.  Though I may disagree with your economic plan, still an excellent speech. 
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 09:04:24 PM »

*Standing Ovation*

A very good speech Mr. President although I consider your drug policy and your foreign policy bad for Atlasia you still give a good speech.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 09:55:55 PM »

I agree with the Senator-elect. While we could militarily win a full-scale war with China, we must remember that in a war in which Weapons of Mass Destruction are used, we cannot truly win without a great cost to us.

While it could be possible for us to technically win a war with China, I don't think anybody would truly win that war.  Great care must be taken when dealing with the Sleeping Dragon.

While I trust PBrunsel's leadership and think that he's doing overall a good job, I must vocalize my great hesitation at his seemingly rash measures proposed against China.  I agree with them in principle, but China is not one to be easily pushed around as PBrunsel seems to hope that they will be.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 10:46:18 PM »

Mr. President, my image of you as a compassionate, understanding man is begining to errode away.  Do you not recongnize that there are some problems when it comes to poverty that do not have the easy answers that you want to find?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 10:51:46 PM »

Great job, Mr. President. We will "get things done" in this administration. It is also my hope that the Senator-elect who posed the question "When will the administration get things done?" wil work with us in solving the problems that we face.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 07:22:35 AM »

I didn't see it so I'll assume it never happend

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You betta be prepared to compromise. Otherwise nothing will get done.

I'm hardly super partisan. In my time here I've been a member of no less than four political parties (AFDNC, ILP, UL, AFDNC (again) and now FLP) and I have no problems working with members of other poltical parties as I did when I was Vice President.

The Appalachian Regional Commision/ARDA is, as the President doubtless knows, is a classic example of Big Government and LBJ's Great Society legislation. It's constantly strapped for cash and has survived countless ideologically motivated attempts, including one by the Reagan Administration in the early '80's, to destroy it.
Despite all that, it has done a great service to the people of Appalachia:

*In the mid-60's, infant mortality in much of Appalachia was twice the national average. It's now more-or-less at the national average and is only signifincantly higher in a few remote counties.

*Primary healthcare is now within a 30 minute drive for pretty much everyone in Appalachia (this was achieved in 1985)

*Many communities once plauged by chronic water shortages now benifit from dramatic increases in water supply

*In 1965 one in every three Appalachians lived in poverty, more than twice the national average. This number has since been cut in half and Appalachia's poverty rate is now only about 1 and a half percentage points above the national average. Since 1965 per capita income has risen by nearly five points to 81% of the national average

*ARC/ARDA has been responsible for the rehabilitation and construction of over 15,000 housing units

*In 1965 only 32% of Appalachians finished high school. It's now 76%.

*Outmigration has declined markedly

*Over 3,000 miles of highway has been built as part of the Appalachian Development Highway System

And they've done a lot of other stuff as well... but there's still a hell of a lot of work needs doing... (check out www.arc.gov) if funding for Regional Development is slashed it will be one of the biggest disasters to hit my constituents in living memory.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2004, 09:59:45 AM »

*Polite Applause*

Hmm, a lot of disagreement there. Perhaps in the new Senate I'll propose a different China resolution, one that won't turn San Francisco into a smoldering nuclear waste heap.

If we tick off the Chinese, they'll stop pressuring North Koreo, after which they'll get nukes. So, not only is Atlasia threatened, but so is Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and the Phillipines. A better policy in my opinion would be increased funding to the Taiwanese, South Korean etc. militaries. Also, shift tariffs, tariff Chinese goods and make credits for Taiwanese goods, devalue the importance of China and increase funds to Taiwan at the same time.

Maybe we should make Taiwan the Atlasian North Korea. Maybe even just a show of force could work, move the Pacific battle fleet to Taiwan. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Siege
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2004, 10:52:36 PM »

*Polite Applause*

Hmm, a lot of disagreement there. Perhaps in the new Senate I'll propose a different China resolution, one that won't turn San Francisco into a smoldering nuclear waste heap.

If we tick off the Chinese, they'll stop pressuring North Koreo, after which they'll get nukes. So, not only is Atlasia threatened, but so is Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and the Phillipines. A better policy in my opinion would be increased funding to the Taiwanese, South Korean etc. militaries. Also, shift tariffs, tariff Chinese goods and make credits for Taiwanese goods, devalue the importance of China and increase funds to Taiwan at the same time.

Maybe we should make Taiwan the Atlasian North Korea. Maybe even just a show of force could work, move the Pacific battle fleet to Taiwan. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Siege

I would support that policy.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2004, 12:29:43 AM »

The fleet has already been repositioned in the short run, and the pacific Fleet has been strengthened relative to Atlantic Fleet for the long run policy.

As I the Senators know, our trade policy is under review right now.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2004, 01:09:02 AM »

Nice speech, Mr. President.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2004, 05:07:56 AM »

Now is the time for fiscal responsibility. Although we feel that our mass amounts of spending will help us as a nation, we can not feel good about passing new spending hikes today, for there costs will burden generations tomorrow. This is why I urge the Senate to pass the Balanced Budget Amendment when it is introduced the new Senate session. I implore all Senators to not think of ourselves, but to think of our grandchildren. We complain of having to pay our share of taxes into our monstrous debt, but think of the amount our grandchildren will have to pay if we do nothing to stop our ballooning national debt. If we stand back and do nothing, the $23,000 in taxes we have to pay to the debt will become $230,000 for our grandchildren, Do not let our grandchildren be forced into a mountain of red ink, but allow the Balanced Budget Amendment to be passed, and we can save our grandchildren from this terrible fate.

I will oppose this with all my heart. I think this budget negotiations have shown that this senate cannot cut a budget. And what happens when the senate cannot cut enought to balance the budget? Backdoor tax hikes! This is a terrible idea, and I hope no one will fall for this trap.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies