Omnibus Appropriation Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:52:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Omnibus Appropriation Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Omnibus Appropriation Bill  (Read 4983 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 04:23:32 PM »

Section 1

Money shall be appropriated from the treasury as follows:

Iraq War ($45 billion: cut $4.99 billion)

$45 billion ........ Iraq War
    Cut $4.99 bil. from base of $50.0 bil.(-10%)
I am against any reduction in spending on the Iraq War. The election is coming in a month and a half and according to all sources this is the time when we need more money put to the Iraq rebuilding funds. It would be silly to think that at the time we need the highest amount of readiness in Iraq that we are reducing the Iraq War funds by 5 billion dollars.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I do not think that we should cut foreign aid. Many countries currently depend on the funds that we give to developing nations. We must not cut off this life line at one time. If we want to ween developing nations off of aid money than we should do it slowly and keep a close eye on the developments in these countries.

I do not think that Community development should be scrapped all at once. This should be taken in small steps so that communities are gradually weened off of government aid.

Again these cuts would do more harm than good. Just having the money tap stop flowing all at once would lead to more trouble than good.

Again cut in gradual steps if you are going to cut. Many of those Mental Health and Substance abuse services are state/government owned hospitals that deal with junkies and people who are determined by the court to be mentally insane. We need them or else their would be no place for the court to seen people for drug treatment or mental help.

Okay medicare modernization is needed. The current system is failing and these extra funds will help, hopefully to rectify the problem.

All in all I do not support this proposed appropriations bill. While I like what Bono is trying to do reducing government size has to be done gradually not in the giant leaps that he has suggested. I have already said what I do not like about the Iraq War funding that needs to be kept at current levels or even increased as we come up to the very important elections their at the end of January.

I'm not sure you realize, but even with these 'giant leaps' as you descrive them, we are still more than 200 Billion Dolars short of a surplus. YOu want to do this gradualyl, what is the objective, surplus in 2050? No, we are allready drowned in debt. If we do not take imediate action, it will only grow. Also, on a side note, community development is the codename for pork projects...

Eliminating the Bush tax cuts for those making over $350,000 would put a serious dent in the deficit. Reverting to Clinton levels would do it ven better.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 04:47:25 PM »

Section 2

§1 The Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act is hereby repealed.

§2 The following programs are canceled:
--International development aid and financial programs;
--Agricultural research and services;
--Other advancement of commerce;
--Community development;
--Area and regional development;
--Higher education;
--Research and general education aids;
--Rehabilitation services of the Department of Education;
--Other social and family services of the Department of Education;
--Indian health;
--Substance abuse and mental health services;
--Consumer and occupational health and safety;
--Other health care services;
--Medicare modernization (proposed);
--Supplemental security income (SSI);
--Family support payments;
--Low income home energy assistance;
--Other family and child support.

Some of this is good, but you're going to catch the ire of millions for this....
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 05:05:14 PM »

Section 1

I am against any reduction in spending on the Iraq War. The election is coming in a month and a half and according to all sources this is the time when we need more money put to the Iraq rebuilding funds. It would be silly to think that at the time we need the highest amount of readiness in Iraq that we are reducing the Iraq War funds by 5 billion dollars.
I do not think that we should cut foreign aid. Many countries currently depend on the funds that we give to developing nations. We must not cut off this life line at one time. If we want to ween developing nations off of aid money than we should do it slowly and keep a close eye on the developments in these countries.

I do not think that Community development should be scrapped all at once. This should be taken in small steps so that communities are gradually weened off of government aid.

Again these cuts would do more harm than good. Just having the money tap stop flowing all at once would lead to more trouble than good.

Again cut in gradual steps if you are going to cut. Many of those Mental Health and Substance abuse services are state/government owned hospitals that deal with junkies and people who are determined by the court to be mentally insane. We need them or else their would be no place for the court to seen people for drug treatment or mental help.

Okay medicare modernization is needed. The current system is failing and these extra funds will help, hopefully to rectify the problem.

All in all I do not support this proposed appropriations bill. While I like what Bono is trying to do reducing government size has to be done gradually not in the giant leaps that he has suggested. I have already said what I do not like about the Iraq War funding that needs to be kept at current levels or even increased as we come up to the very important elections their at the end of January.

I'm not sure you realize, but even with these 'giant leaps' as you descrive them, we are still more than 200 Billion Dolars short of a surplus. YOu want to do this gradualyl, what is the objective, surplus in 2050? No, we are allready drowned in debt. If we do not take imediate action, it will only grow. Also, on a side note, community development is the codename for pork projects...

Eliminating the Bush tax cuts for those making over $350,000 would put a serious dent in the deficit. Reverting to Clinton levels would do it ven better.

So, it's better to take money away from people than having some responsability? if we were running a company, we would have been thrown out by the shareholders ages ago,.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 05:08:36 PM »

Section 1

So, it's better to take money away from people than having some responsability? if we were running a company, we would have been thrown out by the shareholders ages ago,.

The shareholders are the voters and they can vote you out if they don't like you and your policies.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 05:15:55 PM »

Section 1

The shareholders are the voters and they can vote you out if they don't like you and your policies.

Except shareholders actually put money into the company, while voters mostly recieve money from the government without giving more in exchange.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2004, 06:01:12 PM »

Besides, giving money to the poor does not encourage them to better themselves.  It encourages them to continue being poor.

I thought that kind of attitude died in the depression

It never died.  It continues to be true. 

What has the Great Society done to impact poverty rates?  Absolutely nothing. 

If we expanded the Great Society, what would it do to poverty rates?  Absolutely nothing, in fact it might increase them, as it would encourage more people to be poor.

Some achievements of the ARC/ARDA:

*In the mid-60's, infant mortality in much of Appalachia was twice the national average. It's now more-or-less at the national average and is only signifincantly higher in a few remote counties.

*Primary healthcare is now within a 30 minute drive for pretty much everyone in Appalachia (this was achieved in 1985)

*Many communities once plauged by chronic water shortages now benifit from dramatic increases in water supply

*In 1965 one in every three Appalachians lived in poverty, more than twice the national average. This number has since been cut in half and Appalachia's poverty rate is now only about 1 and a half percentage points above the national average. Since 1965 per capita income has risen by nearly five points to 81% of the national average

*ARC/ARDA has been responsible for the rehabilitation and construction of over 15,000 housing units

*In 1965 only 32% of Appalachians finished high school. It's now 76%.

*Outmigration has declined markedly

*Over 3,000 miles of highway has been built as part of the Appalachian Development Highway System

And they've done a lot of other stuff as well... but there's still a hell of a lot of work needs doing... (check out www.arc.gov) if funding for Regional Development is slashed it will be one of the biggest disasters to hit my constituents in living memory.

As the recent Mid Term elections have proved there is no mandate and very little support for these sort of cuts.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2004, 08:04:38 PM »

Section 1

Bono, the surplus will come back when the economy comes back. The more money people make the more money goes into the government. If you cut some areas back by 30-50% instead of 100% I think this would be much more acceptable to me.   
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2004, 12:23:56 PM »

Vote opening time.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2004, 06:16:55 PM »

Yes Bono, I know, I too am able to read Peter's Status thread.

I hereby open the vote upon the Omnibus Appropriation Bill.

All Senators please vote Yea, Nay or abstain.

----------------------------

A loud and emphatic NAY
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2004, 06:28:24 PM »

Yea.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2004, 06:29:43 PM »

Nay

I urge my fellow Senators to vote against this bill.  It reduces the government to nothing.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2004, 07:12:35 PM »

Yea
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2004, 07:18:25 PM »

Extreme this bill is!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2004, 05:08:04 AM »

Nay

I urge my fellow Senators to vote against this bill.  It reduces the government to nothing.

Yes. A two trillion dollar nothing.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2004, 05:17:03 AM »

Anyways, I vote yea.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2004, 10:30:53 AM »

Nay.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2004, 03:03:04 PM »

LOL! Are you going to vote though Texasgurl? You are still a Senator.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2004, 03:47:07 PM »

3-3, what a close bill...
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2004, 04:36:13 PM »

Nay.

Siege
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2004, 04:39:57 PM »

Yea
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2004, 04:46:32 PM »

How could you vote Yea?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2004, 04:50:14 PM »

It wasn't easy.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2004, 04:51:35 PM »

Good on you Texasgurl, vote however you please.

Siege
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2004, 08:49:01 PM »

Nay
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2004, 11:06:22 AM »

Thank you Bono for working with me, but my heart won't allow me to vote Yea on this.

So I Abstain
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies